Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-22-2015, 11:27 AM   #31
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwdoo View Post
Windows 7 was mentioned as being included in this offer, but only with the latest SP applied.
Well, that is cool. The stream that I was watching was horribly sporadic and I'm not surprised that the Windows 7 bit got completely truncated.

Although... I would never put Windows 10 on my old Windows 7 laptop. Wouldn't be fair to Windows 10.

Last edited by Anthem; 01-22-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:34 PM   #32
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Isn't free a good reason?
No.

When I got this notebook two and a half years ago I got "free" license for Windows 8 with it.
Well ... it wasn't free, I had to pay for it anyway as a [hidden] part of the price, even when I wasn't planning to use it. But the notebook was heavily discounted so I bought it, even if it meant I was sending a little bit of money to Microsoft - for something I did not want.

The fact that the OS wasn't free should have been even bigger incentive to try to make use of it. I tried. I needed to make myself familiar with the system so I wouldn't be fumbling around when doing maintenance for customers, family and friends, so I tried to use and tweak it for a few weeks. It was *so* annoying ... . Later I tried to install my new [legal!] windows into virtual machine - the notebook is powerful enough. This proved to be way too complicated. Nowadays you do not receive OS installation media and serial number for later use. Nowadays you receive just a "system restore" image of installed system (typically on a hidden partition, and if you are really lucky they let you create backup DVDs of it). The restore image includes all the crapware and begware from notebook manufacturer (such as Norton anti-CPU) for your convenience and the license is burnt into your BIOS.

I *will* try out the new Windows 10. I will need to know how to maintain it and solve problems for many people I support.
I think it is unlikely I will use it as my main, everyday system *at home*.
Free (as a beer ;-) ) is not enough. I would still need to activate and register that thing (in fact begging for permission to use my own computer) and I would have to purchase an antivirus for it.

We shall see how well the new Windows 10 can live alongside other systems on a single disk. When I purchased this notebook it had FOUR disk partitions occupied, and none of those was a separate data partition D:. Everything was installed to C:. Splitting the C: partition would have been highly non-trivial.

I have no problem using system with unconventional / different user interface. I have used FreeBSD for quite a few years and under Linux, that I use at the moment, I have used numerous window managers / desktop environments. Do not think that Metro under Windows 8 is unique in getting lots of justified critique - there have been KDE 4.0 and Gnome 3 screw-ups in the past.

Last edited by kacir; 01-22-2015 at 12:38 PM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2015, 01:03 PM   #33
danwdoo
Groupie
danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
Well, that is cool. The stream that I was watching was horribly sporadic and I'm not surprised that the Windows 7 bit got completely truncated.

Although... I would never put Windows 10 on my old Windows 7 laptop. Wouldn't be fair to Windows 10.
The system requirements for 10 will likely be less than for 7. Windows 8.x already runs more efficiently than 7. If your machine runs 7 well it should run 10 just fine if not better.
danwdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:23 PM   #34
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Lack of interest?

I know of a Major* business that is JUST rolling out a W7 upgrade (from XP) to their Bay Area locations. 1000's of systems Think of the expense, just to retrain the common user (Common users are not Power users, found in engineering situations. Changing an Icon throws them for a spin.)

*I am not naming for basic site security reasons
Both you & the users didn't listen to Jobs & apple. ICONS are all you need; they are intuitive!https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smilies/biggrin.gif
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:33 PM   #35
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwdoo View Post
Upgrading after a HD crash may not be necessary. Once you upgrade, you should receive a valid Windows 10 product key and will likely be able to install Windows 10 straight from that point on. We won't know for sure until MS addresses this directly, but I suspect this will be the case. Either way future reinstalls won't cost anything on that device.
Been thru that route with the win8 upgrade key. The key is for UPGRADE in that the install checked for the existence of an acceptable OS; meaning it is a install an OS twice.

The last time (my current reinstall) the install with just the original downloaded win8, the install stated that the key was "out of date, expired". I decided to install again over whatever was installed & it worked as another dialogue said "NO" but had a selection that allowed continuing. Had to call-in for activation; but the installation included all the updates to 8.1.

However, to bad that I didn't know of another method that made the install easier because of the public win 10 technical review where it is suggested to backup or/and get the win8.1 iso just just in case of problems & the need to return to win8.1.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2015, 01:37 PM   #36
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
I remember when I used to look forward to Windows upgrades. Now I dread them I will stick with Windows 7 until Microsoft seriously gives me a good reason to upgrade.
The more cynical part of of me sees it this way:

From Windows 286 through Windows ME, Windows was so horrid or buggy, we wanted...needed....each upgrade.

With XP and 7, it's a pretty decent OS. We're mostly happy, so we don't want to upgade.

MS noticed.

So now they are looking for ways to TRICK or FORCE us into upgrading.

I've avoided Windows 8 so far. I fear Windows 10.

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 01-22-2015 at 01:44 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:27 PM   #37
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Isn't free a good reason?
That is what I thought -- so I installed linux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post
When it comes with all the time and effort to relearn the system? All the programs that need to be upgraded? Time and work are still a cost.

There are reasons why people don't switch to Linux despite it being free.
There is that of course.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:31 PM   #38
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Free (as a beer ;-) ) is not enough. I would still need to activate and register that thing (in fact begging for permission to use my own computer) and I would have to purchase an antivirus for it.
What is wrong with, say, AVG Free? It is quite highly rated...

Quote:
I have no problem using system with unconventional / different user interface. I have used FreeBSD for quite a few years and under Linux, that I use at the moment, I have used numerous window managers / desktop environments. Do not think that Metro under Windows 8 is unique in getting lots of justified critique - there have been KDE 4.0 and Gnome 3 screw-ups in the past.
The difference is of course that when GNOME3 got justified critique (for existing) I could and did ditch in a heartbeat for MATE/Cinnamon, with Windows it is, um, difficult, to change your desktop environment.

And I am actually grateful for the GNOME3 screwup, because I never would have noticed Cinnamon otherwise (or not for a while anyway) and I actually think it is better than GNOME2 which I also loved.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:36 PM   #39
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

I wonder why they aren't offering free upgrades to WinXP users? Surely, once MS is committed to giving away free licenses (that they would prefer to be paid for) it doesn't matter whether it is from an unsupported OS, why not try to upgrade the whole Windows ecosystem at once? The other advantages (not having to provide support for old OSes is irrelevant in XP's case) apply here as well -- and XP users are the most likely segment of the Windows ecosystem to ditch for another platform.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:18 PM   #40
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I wonder if Office 2007 would work with Windows 10, or have to be upgraded.

I've only ever upgraded the OS when I've bought a new PC. I generally don't see much reason to change what I've gotten used to.
Office 2011 works with windows 10 so I am pretty sure 2007 would as well.

Other than that backup before you upgrade or run Windows 10 in a virtual machine to try it out.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:18 PM   #41
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I wonder why they aren't offering free upgrades to WinXP users? Surely, once MS is committed to giving away free licenses (that they would prefer to be paid for) it doesn't matter whether it is from an unsupported OS, why not try to upgrade the whole Windows ecosystem at once? The other advantages (not having to provide support for old OSes is irrelevant in XP's case) apply here as well -- and XP users are the most likely segment of the Windows ecosystem to ditch for another platform.
Perhaps they figure that if someone's still running XP, it's likely to be an ancient machine which might not run 10 smoothly. Said user would then proceed to blame the sluggishness on 10, which is unfair bad press for the new OS.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:56 PM   #42
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
It doesn't surprise me that Windows 10 is going to be free, because it seems that there's somewhat of a lack of interest in updating an OS given the figures still using Win7 (I'm in that): 48.14%, and XP: 28.47%.

That XP figure is extraordinary given that XP came on the market in 1999 (perhaps)?
Quote:
Thanks , but it's still the second highest OS in use and that suggests to me a lot of resistance to change. Or perhaps general disinterest .....
People tend not to notice the version of the operating system, so the concept of upgrading never occurs to them.

You stick with the operating system that came with your hardware.

I'm currently working at a very large international corporation, and we are still running Windows XP. It's mostly a matter of accounting: it costs millions to upgrade beyond XP. What the bean counters don't account for is the improved boot times, security and other features.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:58 PM   #43
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I wonder if Office 2007 would work with Windows 10, or have to be upgraded.

I've only ever upgraded the OS when I've bought a new PC. I generally don't see much reason to change what I've gotten used to.
Quote:
Does Office 7 work with OS7? If so, then I'm guessing that it will be compatible with 10. (But hey, who am I to say )

The older Office suites should work with Windows 10.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:18 PM   #44
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Yes, as I said earlier, 2007 works exellent.
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:04 PM   #45
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
Perhaps they figure that if someone's still running XP, it's likely to be an ancient machine which might not run 10 smoothly. Said user would then proceed to blame the sluggishness on 10, which is unfair bad press for the new OS.
That is why minimum hardware requirements exist before you can install a retail purchased copy of the OS...

Any bad press would exist if they were allowed to install retail copies of Win10 on PCs without the minimum specs.

And anyway, Win8 started a trend of getting the specs requirements back under control, a machine still running XP is probably a decent machine running XP, which will run Win8-10 if not Win7.
Of course, that is a random guess.