Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-31-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
mokel22
Zealot
mokel22 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Free Voip Calling on the Edge devices

Finally after trying to get Google voice and Sipdroid to work I came across an easy way to turn my edge into a phone calling tool. The .zip file below is an apk for netTALK. The updated version of netTalk (v.3.2.1) is courtesy of glow

com.nettalk.zip

Here's a nice informative page on it: http://www.nettalk.com/smartphone
In order to make use of this you need to:
1. Download the .zip file.
2. Extract the file.
3. (optional step if not doing this from an edge) transfer the .apk file to your edge or put in on a flash drive or memory card and insert either device into the edge.
4. Find the file from the "Device Storage" application or any file exploring app.
5. Install the app and run it.
6. Click on the create an account option in the login menu (this will route you to a web browser)
7. Register an account.
8. Confirm your account through the e-mail address you gave the site.
9. Go back to the application, put in you username and password, and have fun with calling for free.
10. (optional) call yourself to test out quality (it was pretty good on my Entourage Edge) and get your new phone number.

First the EE hibernation issue gets a work around and now this! I'm super excited

[note] this app will only send calls to the US and Canada. My condolences
Another member (jacktamuk) is using truphone for international calls, but at a price (usually 1-2 cents per minute with a 3 cents connecting charge). By registering an account you get fifty cents free. The apk is below for truphone.

Truphone.zip

Information on truphone: http://www.truphone.com/en-US/Produc...p-for-Android/
Rates for service: http://www.truphone.com/en-US/Produc.../Rate-checker/

Last edited by mokel22; 08-01-2011 at 12:13 PM.
mokel22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
glow
Book and Gadget Fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nooks GL3, ST w/GL, Color, HD+; Kindles Voyage & Paperwhite; PE, EE
There's a coincidence - just posted in other thread!
Thanks for attaching the file.
glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
mokel22
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by glow View Post
There's a coincidence - just posted in other thread!
Thanks for attaching the file.
No problem, I was trying to help out jacktamuk and when I was scanning xda for help getting sipdroid working, someone commented that this will do basically the same thing without the hassle. I had to track down the .apk and this one was the first one I found and it worked.

[edit] I just read your comment in the other thread, what version do you have? This one seems to be version1.0, but do you have a newer version? I'd happily replace the one I've got and put your .apk up if it were more recent.

Last edited by mokel22; 07-31-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:38 PM   #4
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Mokel, one thing you forgot - if you are not from the US you can't use it
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:42 PM   #5
mokel22
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
Mokel, one thing you forgot - if you are not from the US you can't use it
Does it check your e-mail address or something, how does it tell your not from the US or Canada? I do understand that the calls can only be to those countries, is that what you meant?
I'll edit the post to make that more clear.
Advert
Old 07-31-2011, 08:21 PM   #6
jacktamuk
jacktamuk began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
great appreciation to Mokel22 who figured out all these. Before I got a chnace to read this one, I sort of fixed the sound loss problem by putiing an app called 'truphone' went thru the same steps that stated above. It is free and had 50 cents once i insalled it. THen i called my cell, and wala... the sound came back out from speaker again. (go back to setting and check the sound button and see everything is set right level). THanks to yo'll.
jacktamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:21 AM   #7
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokel22 View Post
Does it check your e-mail address or something, how does it tell your not from the US or Canada? I do understand that the calls can only be to those countries, is that what you meant?
I'll edit the post to make that more clear.
If someone not in the US tries to sign up they will end up getting a message that says 'Sorry, this service is not available in your country'.

They check IP address to work out if you are in the US or not.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:59 AM   #8
mokel22
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktamuk View Post
great appreciation to Mokel22 who figured out all these. Before I got a chnace to read this one, I sort of fixed the sound loss problem by putiing an app called 'truphone' went thru the same steps that stated above. It is free and had 50 cents once i insalled it. THen i called my cell, and wala... the sound came back out from speaker again. (go back to setting and check the sound button and see everything is set right level). THanks to yo'll.
It looks like truphone works internationally, but charges even for US calls. You would probably benefit from netTalk more once you got back to the states, but truphone will get you the international service you need while your out of the country. I added truphone to the thread for international usage, Thanks jacktamuk!

Last edited by mokel22; 08-01-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:06 AM   #9
archiegoodwin
archiegoodwin began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
mokel22 said: "Finally after trying to get Google voice and Sipdroid to work I came across an easy way to turn my edge into a phone calling tool. The .zip file below is an apk for netTALK"

Thank you!!! Followed your instructions & it worked like a charm.
archiegoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:06 PM   #10
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
bria voip appear to work
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:49 PM   #11
QDman
QDman began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe
Just tried it, and it works a treat!

Thanks a zillion!
QDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:06 AM   #12
raylang
raylang began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Nettalk

Works as designed. Thanks for the great instructions!
raylang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:42 PM   #13
jclmaster
jclmaster began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by raylang View Post
Works as designed. Thanks for the great instructions!
DITTO!

It will be great if all the phones are dead the next time our Walmart Family Mobile acts up.
jclmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:24 AM   #14
ATFmac
Connoisseur
ATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocket Edge, Ermine 0.9, Rooted, Market Enabled
Excellent Mokel, this will be a great backup resource for me. Thanks for the organized setup.
ATFmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:52 AM   #15
Gerrye
Zealot
Gerrye began at the beginning.

Device: 1 EE,3 PEs,HP Pro Slate12.2,&Kindle Paperwhite,GalaxyTabPro12.2,Note 4
I'm in Brazil and trying to call the US, but it keeps asking for a SIP number and a SIP login... where do I find these?

** UPDATE:

Apparently, they aren't needed, I managed to call a US phone (that is here in Brazil) without entering SIP information. If anyone has more information about using the Nettalk system via PE, I'd like to see it here....

This will be going on both of my PEs...

Last edited by Gerrye; 09-08-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Gerrye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
entourage edge, free, pocket edge, voip