Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-09-2011, 12:33 PM   #1
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Corrupted my version of The Oxford Dictionary of English

Just joined this forum, and already I'm overreaching my welcome (newbies...).

I have somehow corrupted my copy of the OED (gives the message "The selected item could not be opened. If you purchased this item from Amazon, delete and redownload it...").

Two questions:

1. How to delete it? If I press the left navigation arrow, it doesn't bring up the usual Delete button, and I'm not sure how else to delete it

2. Where would I download another copy from, as I did not "purchase it", it came with the Kindle, so it's not in my Archive?

Once again, any help much appreciated.

Pete
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I think that is a question for Kindle support. they are EXTREMELY helpful
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:51 PM   #3
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I think that is a question for Kindle support. they are EXTREMELY helpful
Okay, thanks. Have mailed them, will post back their response later.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:07 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The dictionary WILL show up in the archive if you delete it from your Kindle. I've deleted the American English dictionary from my K3, and it now shows in the archive. Remember that the archive shows only those items that are not on your Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:09 PM   #5
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The dictionary WILL show up in the archive if you delete it from your Kindle. I've deleted the American English dictionary from my K3, and it now shows in the archive. Remember that the archive shows only those items that are not on your Kindle.
Thanks Harry. Now if I can just work out how to delete it...
Old 01-09-2011, 01:12 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Connect the USB cable to your PC, open the Kindle drive, and delete it from the "documents" folder.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:26 PM   #7
thorn
Connoisseur
thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.

Device: currently: ipod touch
My archive shows everything I've purchased, whether it's on my Kindle or not. Is that because I have multiple devices registered, do you think?
thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:30 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The archive on the Kindle itself? On mine it definitely only shows those books that aren't currently on the Kindle. I too have multiple devices registered to my Amazon account: a Kindle, iPhone, iPad, and Kindle for PC.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:44 PM   #9
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Does the dictionary look-up function work? I've never tried to open the dictionary as a book. Perhaps it doesn't work that way? I have a K1, and the dictionary does not show up on the Home screen of the K1.

If the file is corrupted, I'd be concerned about that - could indicate a hardware problem.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:48 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Does the dictionary look-up function work? I've never tried to open the dictionary as a book. Perhaps it doesn't work that way? I have a K1, and the dictionary does not show up on the Home screen of the K1.
It's perhaps different on the K3. The dictionary shows up as a normal book on the book list (as "Oxford Dictionary of English") and can be opened like any other book.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:51 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I have a feeling it's a >= 2.5 firmware thing. The dictionary shows in the normal book list on my K2, as well.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:08 PM   #12
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Connect the USB cable to your PC, open the Kindle drive, and delete it from the "documents" folder.
Well that worked thanks (though it wasn't in Documents, rather in system/com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader/sidecar). Once I'd deleted it, it was automatically replaced, I didn't have to go to the Archive - how good is that?

Also, Kindle Support came back to me to say I should ring them to discuss the issue, very quick response. No need now, of course
Old 01-09-2011, 05:14 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Very good!
Old 01-09-2011, 05:26 PM   #14
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Also, Kindle Support came back to me to say I should ring them to discuss the issue, very quick response. No need now, of course
Yeah, unfortunately their "great" support is simply to either reply with a form letter or a form letter telling you to call them.

(Why an online company can't actually handle tech support for their products online is beyond me...)
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:10 PM   #15
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Yeah, unfortunately their "great" support is simply to either reply with a form letter or a form letter telling you to call them.

(Why an online company can't actually handle tech support for their products online is beyond me...)
most tech support IS handled by telephone calls. what do you want? Vulcan Mind Meld?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote