Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
Post Cheap but quality ereader

I'm looking for an ereader that is less than 100 dollars. I don't want anything that is cheaply made, but I realize that I'm not going to be getting something with all of the latest features for that price. That's not what I want. I want something basic. The only product I know of that fits my price point is the Kindle for 69$. If anyone has any suggestions, then I'm open to them. I'd like something that works out of the box, but if it needs a program to load books onto the device, then I'm okay with that. I'd rather it be nothing too complicated. If the device is less then 100 when used, then I'm good with that as well. It doesn't matter what format the device uses, since I can always use Calibre to convert it to the right one.

I'd really appreciate some input. Thanks.

P.S. Since I live in the U.S the device needs to either be available over here, or at least be available to purchase online.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyspider View Post
The only product I know of that fits my price point is the Kindle for 69$.

The Kindle is likely the easiest decision there, and a good one. Nook Simple Touch is still around, iirc. Haven't kept up with the other eink device manufacturers, but ultimately it comes down to a few similarly priced e-ink devices that differ very little in primary function. It's a portable display that simulates the visual quality of text on paper, so I wouldn't be too concerned with missing out on latest functions.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
sneakyspider
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I like the Kindle and it is a tempting choice, but I was hoping to get a chance to see what else is out there that I might be unfamiliar with before I decide on an ereader. Also, another under 100 device I had my eye on, was the Kobo mini. I don't know much about the Kobo, however. Other than a disastrous encounter with a 1st Gen ereader of theirs. I don't want to assume anything about the brand as a whole, since it was an early device, but I'm afraid that's as far as my experience with that brand goes.

Last edited by sneakyspider; 01-16-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Also, another under 100 device I had my eye on, was the Kobo mini. I don't know much about the Kobo, however. Other than a disastrous encounter with a 1st Gen ereader of theirs. I don't want to assume anything about the brand as a whole, since it was an early device, but I'm afraid that's as far as my experience with that brand goes.
The newer generations of Kobo bear little resemblance to the good old original 1st generation Kobo (hey - it was a good value for it's day since it was almost 1/2 the price of most other readers). The product has matured nicely and while it may not be perfect, it's pretty darn good. Search this sub-forum and the Kobo sub-forum and there are a number of threads from those who have Kobo Mini's (I have Glo, Touch, Wifi, Original but no mini so I can't comment on it ).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
sneakyspider

A lot of what I have read about other people's experiences does seem to be positive, but I don't know much in depth about the device. I definitely need to read up on it.
Advert
Old 01-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #6
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
I have both the Mini and the Kindle 4 NT, and both are great readers. While I do like the portability of Mini, the extra screen real estate of the K4 is the better option. I personally find the K4 feels nicer in my hand too.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:46 PM   #7
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
I'm looking for an ereader that is less than 100 dollars.
If you can wait until Thanksgiving week, that might be all of them

There's been some discussion on the board as to whether the Kobo is or isn't buggy to the point of frustration. Most say no. I don't see that kind of discussion with the Kindle, although my Kindle Keyboard and my DW's basic Kindle do both crash, or freeze, or lose a bookmark every few days.

Objective observers likely exist, but I don't know how to tell them apart from the grinches and fanboys.

Compared to Windows 95, I'm guessing they're all good. This isn't a slam against Microsoft. Over time, our standards rise as devices improve.

P.S. I'm confused because your profile says you already have a bunch of Kindles.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 01-16-2013 at 08:50 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:56 PM   #8
sneakyspider

Yeah, I'm not really looking for a Kindle this time. I was more looking for something that I haven't had any use in before. As for why I need another ereader, when I already have so many...?

I don't, not really. But I like to have a lot of choices in my reading, and I was looking for a basic ereader that isn't too expensive so I don't have to worry about it breaking.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:33 AM   #9
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Sadly there is no such thing. The e-readers from all the main players have become cheaper and they lowered quality to do that.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #10
sneakyspider

I don't know if I quite agree with that. The Kobo mini, the Kindle 4, and the Nook Simple Touch are all good readers under $100. Sure, they're not indestructible, but I'm just looking for something that is not some cheap knock off.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #11
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
I don't know if I quite agree with that. The Kobo mini, the Kindle 4, and the Nook Simple Touch are all good readers under $100. Sure, they're not indestructible, but I'm just looking for something that is not some cheap knock off.
If you don't want a cheap knock off don't buy on eBay from a Chinese seller. But you didn't say cheap knock off in your OP. You said cheaply made. They are all cheaply made.

As Rizla said, what you want doesn't exist. You can't have your cake & eat it too. No such thing as low price, good quality. The two are not synonymous.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #12
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Quote:
Those all sounds like good choices to me, but those sound like the choices available.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #13
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Cheap but quality ereader. I don't want anything that is cheaply made, but I realize that I'm not going to be getting something with all of the latest features for that price. That's not what I want. I want something basic.
It depends what you mean by quality though, it's fairly subjective.

It is true that the last couple of years has resulted in cheaper ereaders and that it is in part down to them cutting costs, but it doesn't necessarily mean that even the basic readers are cheap & nasty or poor quality. If you just want to read novels, and don't plan on doing much else, the basic Kindle or the Nook ST should be ideal. Likewise the Kobo Mini, if you don't mind the smaller screen.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #14
sneakyspider

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
Those all sounds like good choices to me, but those sound like the choices available.
Those are good choices from what I understand. I was really just interested in finding out whether they were the only good choices, or if there were other lesser known brands out there I hadn't heard of that were just as good.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #15
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Kobo Touch also runs about $100 at least here in Canada it does.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote