Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-29-2006, 08:25 PM   #1
cmumford
Connoisseur
cmumford began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Should we post Sony Reader books to Gutenberg?

I've noticed a couple of threads trying to locate and create eBook's for the Sony Reader. I probably just missed it, but has anyone considered converting the Project Gutenberg text/HTML books to Sony Reader format (BBeB AKA LRF's), and then posting them back to project Gutenberg?
cmumford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 02:22 AM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Check out manybooks.net. Most of the Project Gutenberg content is there in Sony format.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2006, 02:28 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
PG does not - to the best of my knowledge - accept device-specific formats, but only open ones such as text, RTF, HTML, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:41 PM   #4
squawker
squawker has learned how to read e-bookssquawker has learned how to read e-bookssquawker has learned how to read e-bookssquawker has learned how to read e-bookssquawker has learned how to read e-bookssquawker has learned how to read e-bookssquawker has learned how to read e-bookssquawker has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS-500
Great tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
Check out manybooks.net. Most of the Project Gutenberg content is there in Sony format.

Thanks for the tip! I was going to convert mark twain's speeches on my own before you linked to this site. They already have it as an lrf file.

thanks!
squawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 02:19 PM   #5
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
I don't want to sound stupid guys but what the heck is lrf?
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2007, 08:10 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"lrf" is the file extension used by Sony's "BBeB" format e-Books which have no DRM. Most of the books that are installed on the Reader when you get it are "lrf" files.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:19 AM   #7
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

<<"lrf" is the file extension used by Sony's "BBeB" format e-Books which have no DRM. Most of the books that are installed on the Reader when you get it are "lrf" files.>>

Thank you.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:15 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Other extensions you might run into are LRS and LRX. LRX is the encrypted version, and ... I actually don't remember offhand exactly how the LRS is different from the LRF.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:17 PM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Karen...if you're looking for techno stuff like names, abreviations or whatever and are ashamed to ask (like all of us) go to Wikipedia!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:25 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
At my last job, I was the one who would stump everyone by asking in meetings what the various TLAs (three letter acronyms) and AOFLs (acronyms of four letters) stood for -- a lot of times no one knew what they stood for, just what they refered to.

The group of 13 I hired on with took to making up our own acronyms and using them in meetings, no one ever asked, and I learned quickly not to do so in public as many of them were profane, or at least questionable.

My favorites are still CWOT and TWOT (pronounced see-watt and tee-watt), for "complete waste of time" and "total waste of time." A TWOT was worse than a CWOT, if anyone cares.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:43 PM   #11
Aprilbeginnings
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
Karen...if you're looking for techno stuff like names, abreviations or whatever and are ashamed to ask (like all of us) go to Wikipedia!
Nah, I don't always feel stupid asking, just sometimes, LOL. Thanks for the headsup. Guess I will move my butt on over there once again and see what I have been missing somehow for some reason.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:55 PM   #12
airlik
Connoisseur
airlik began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Other extensions you might run into are LRS and LRX. LRX is the encrypted version, and ... I actually don't remember offhand exactly how the LRS is different from the LRF.
I *believe* that LRS is the XML markup version, and LRF is the binary version.

I was on a project once where they were trying to come up with a catchy acronym. I came up with PITA - Platinum Information Technology Advantage... at least that's what I put on the powerpoint slide. Everyone on the project who knew what I really thought of the software knew that I really meant Pain In The A**... unfortunately one of the guys told the boss and the acronym was shelved for something much less amusing.
airlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 04:40 PM   #13
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
There was a bright young Major at the Pentagon some years ago and on his wall he had a large sign that said "UNA". Below the sign in tiny letters was the phrase "Use No Acronyms"

Anyone that knows Washington, DC and the Department of Defense knows that they thrive on acronyms. The Major did not last too long at the Pentagon.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 12:32 PM   #14
ricdiogo
Gutenberger
ricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
PG does not - to the best of my knowledge - accept device-specific formats, but only open ones such as text, RTF, HTML, etc.
Indeed. Please read this FAQ.
ricdiogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:43 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Then Why does PG have Plucker formatted books?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote