Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-21-2007, 05:07 AM   #1
mckenzie
mckenzie began at the beginning.

Device: Prs-500
Cleaning the Screen?

Well I'm new here...and new to the reader as well.

Got a 505 right after it was available. I have carried it everywhere since and have read about 6 books of average size so far on it. I love it.
However, in my travels and in my showing it off to people who are interested in the device, I've gotten the screen somewhat dirty.
I'm afraid to clean it with rubbing alcohol as the screen looks acrylic and alcohol + acrylic do not mix.
Possibly a lint free cloth and water? Any suggestions?

t.i.a

/McKenzie
mckenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:13 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd use a "microfiber" cleaning cloth. Sold by opticians and camera stores for cleaning glasses and camera lenses. Works superbly well. Just breathe on the screen and then gently rub it with the cloth.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2007, 11:59 AM   #3
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'd use a "microfiber" cleaning cloth. Sold by opticians and camera stores for cleaning glasses and camera lenses. Works superbly well. Just breathe on the screen and then gently rub it with the cloth.
Second the motion!
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:02 AM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Third here. You probably want to not get the display wet, so damp a cloth is contra-indicated (a bad idea).
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:07 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Since we will be near Sears today, I'm going to go to the optical department and get a cleaning cloth.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2007, 01:46 PM   #6
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
... I'm going to go to the optical department and get a cleaning cloth.
I suggest you buy the most standard "swedish" microfiber cleaning fabric in a supermarket - in an area where you buy brushes, ordinary mopping cloths, mops and detergent for cleaning the floor.
It is EXACTLY the same cloth, except that if you buy it at the optician you pay roughly 50 times the price per square meter.

I am using the most generic microfiber cloths (3 large pieces for $2).
It works wonderfully on my Reader.
When it accumulates to much dirt I buy a new one and downgrade it to kitchen. The cloth I was using in kitchen I downgrade to cleaning the floor, and that one I downgrade for toughest cleaning jobs in my workshop ;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:25 PM   #7
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
I wouldn't dunk the REader, but wiping it off with a damp cloth (microfiber is good) should be no problem. The display is sealed plastic and the electronics are encased beneath it, so a damp wiping should clean it nicely with no problems.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:36 PM   #8
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
I use my sleeve
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote