Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-09-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
is the battery life difference between the k3 wifi only and wifi + 3g substantial?

yeah, what the title said

i first considered ordering the 3G one, since it touts "lifetime 3G", but then I saw that the battery life is not as long as the wifi-only, and I started to have second thoughts. That, and users in my part of the world have to pay an additional $2 for all ebooks on amazon due to "delivery charges" (or whatever they called them; someone on the forum addressed that), and I'm wondering if the 3G really /is/ free for someone like me.

Anyway, still on the fence as my uncle is telling me not to order yet (he's hoping the price will go down due to the ipad 2 release)
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:24 PM   #2
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
AFAIK, the battery is the same. It just so happens that the 3G requires more power than WiFi. If you use your local WiFi or just turn off Wireless altogether, the battery life should be unaffected.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2011, 09:31 PM   #3
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kranu View Post
AFAIK, the battery is the same. It just so happens that the 3G requires more power than WiFi. If you use your local WiFi or just turn off Wireless altogether, the battery life should be unaffected.
ah, i see. well, the $50 for the 3G is very tempting, but I don't think I'm the type of person who would use it often when traveling. I'd be too busy shopping and eating and i'm wondering when kindle 4 would come out...
Old 03-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #4
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Normally I'd say buy 3G unless you have a substantial cellphone data plan, but since you have to pay for Amazon Delivery Charges, I'd say no. I always have 3 or more books in an "Unread" collection, so I don't have to worry about buying books on the go. I use my 3G for others things like Gmail/Google Reader/Instapaper
Old 03-09-2011, 10:06 PM   #5
wyndslash
Wizard

But the strange thing about the so called "delivery charge" is that even if I have the wifi only, the charge is still there. It's rather unfair. I can see why many users are trying to hide their IP addresses
Advert
Old 03-09-2011, 11:22 PM   #6
kranu
I <3 my Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
But the strange thing about the so called "delivery charge" is that even if I have the wifi only, the charge is still there. It's rather unfair. I can see why many users are trying to hide their IP addresses
Really?! Where does it say that?
Old 03-09-2011, 11:46 PM   #7
wyndslash
Wizard

http://i.downloadsquad.switched.com/...-screwing-you/
Old 03-10-2011, 12:44 AM   #8
kranu
I <3 my Kindle

Quote:
Oh well that's not really a delivery charge. It's just rip off pricing. Shucks
Old 03-10-2011, 01:41 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Well, let's think about it for a minute. Suppose you were to buy a WiFi Kindle, buy 100 books, and NOT be charged the delivery charge. You then buy a 3G Kindle, and redownload your books over 3G. Would you be happy to be charged $200 at that point?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:23 AM   #10
karunaji
Evangelist
karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Bookeen Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Well, let's think about it for a minute. Suppose you were to buy a WiFi Kindle, buy 100 books, and NOT be charged the delivery charge. You then buy a 3G Kindle, and redownload your books over 3G. Would you be happy to be charged $200 at that point?
Yes, it would be fair and I would definitely like it if the initial purchase price is $200 less. I suppose that even the owner of 3G Kindle would have an option to download most of these books via Wi-Fi or USB from his computer to avoid the charge. He could still use 3G only for those books that he is going to read immediately (probably, 5-6 books max with total delivery charge $10-$12) thus saving at least $188.
karunaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:07 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What if you live in a country (as I do) where there is no surcharge for 3G purchase. Would you feel differently about it then?
Old 03-10-2011, 03:38 AM   #12
wyndslash
Wizard

Harry, I still get the charge whether my kindle is wifi only or has 3G. That's why the term is in quotation marks because I'm quite skeptical. But the $2 is there. If someone could clarify this it would be quite helpful as that link said that it was a sort of delivery charge. I am genuinely confused.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:40 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Harry, I still get the charge whether my kindle is wifi only or has 3G. That's why the term is in quotation marks because I'm quite skeptical. But the $2 is there.
Yes, I know you do; I think you must have misunderstood my post. It's not a charge for 3G delivery, but a charge for, if you like, the "potential" for 3G delivery.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:01 AM   #14
wyndslash
Wizard

I see. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:25 AM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I have the 3G model and I can say from what I have read the WiFi has better battery life if you plan to leave the wireless on. If you turn it off they are about the same. I can say 3G comes in handy specially during a internet or power outage! We had one the other day and my books library is on my Dropbox so I was able to grab a book I wanted to read with no problems.

If you leave WiFi on with the 3G model you might get a week charge at the most depending on usage. Reason being you can't turn 3G off even when you are in WiFi mode. Something I didn't know about till I got it. Also 3G is slight heavier then the non 3G version.

Oh Indexing really drains your battery so plug the Kindle in when you add alot of books. It takes like 10 regular size books per 30 minutes to index on mine.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote