Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
zobop
zobop began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
So many ebooks missing real covers

I know, the cover is not what you read as far as the book contents.

But I really enjoy seeing the original cover for the book. It kind of sets the tone for the read and gives you a feel for the experience. It can also show the history and some very nice art.

I wonder why so many ebooks are missing the original cover scans?

It is so frustrating to receive an ebook, then open it to find a Microsoft or Calibre or some other 3rd party cover graphic. If people go through all the trouble scanning the entire books pages, why not include the cover?

It is very easy to go online and get the cover image and insert it into the ebook file, but shouldn't the maker of the ebook do this and not the end reader?

It is really aggravating to get a complete series of a book, only to find out all the covers are missing from them.

Oh well, my rant is over. Is it just me or does this bother any other people?

Thanks
zobop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zobop View Post
I know, the cover is not what you read as far as the book contents.

But I really enjoy seeing the original cover for the book. It kind of sets the tone for the read and gives you a feel for the experience. It can also show the history and some very nice art.

I wonder why so many ebooks are missing the original cover scans?

It is so frustrating to receive an ebook, then open it to find a Microsoft or Calibre or some other 3rd party cover graphic. If people go through all the trouble scanning the entire books pages, why not include the cover?

It is very easy to go online and get the cover image and insert it into the ebook file, but shouldn't the maker of the ebook do this and not the end reader?

It is really aggravating to get a complete series of a book, only to find out all the covers are missing from them.

Oh well, my rant is over. Is it just me or does this bother any other people?

Thanks
By receiving an eBook that has a Microsoft Word or Calibre cover image, you are receiving eBooks that most likely are illegally obtained.

But as for legal eBooks with a generic cover, it's because the publisher did not obtain the rights to use the cover image for eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But as for legal eBooks with a generic cover, it's because the publisher did not obtain the rights to use the cover image for eBooks.
I hate it when this happens. The generic covers look pretty ugly, too. If they must use a generic cover, why couldn't they have gone with something prettier?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I hate it when this happens. The generic covers look pretty ugly, too. If they must use a generic cover, why couldn't they have gone with something prettier?
Because it costs money to design a decent cover.

I just find the best cover image I can and replace with that.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
For many older backlist books sure, but certain publishers seem to go out of their way to use a generic cover even on new releases. I don't buy that they couldn't use it in all of those cases.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #6
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
Is there any software program that allows you to create simple cover image for suitable display on smart phones?
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryEnthusiast View Post
Is there any software program that allows you to create simple cover image for suitable display on smart phones?
A proper cover with a proper cover XML (set to show the proper aspect ratio) should work fine on a smart phone in ePub. The book's cover image (not a generic cover image) is suitable unless it's a poor quality image.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:06 PM   #8
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
The problem *seems* to be that some of the publishers no longer hold the copyrights on some of the book covers and cannot add them to the ebooks. I just find a decent one on the web and use calibre to add it on.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #9
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
I have an ethical question: if it is OK to buy a book, but then to "find" a better (so-called) "cover" without any apparent regard to copyright, is it OK to just "find" the whole book in the first place?
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:45 AM   #10
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
Quote:
A proper cover with a proper cover XML (set to show the proper aspect ratio) should work fine on a smart phone in ePub. The book's cover image (not a generic cover image) is suitable unless it's a poor quality image.
I'm a newbie. What size in terms of pixels should it be? Currently, I always use 240 pixels as the width for mobile phone, but flexible on the height. For cover image, what is the common size?
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:04 AM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I'm a newbie. What size in terms of pixels should it be? Currently, I always use 240 pixels as the width for mobile phone, but flexible on the height. For cover image, what is the common size?
Personally I go for 600px wide as a bare minimum if possible (much higher if possible). In August Apple will start requiring a minimum of 1400px on a side.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Personally I go for 600px wide as a bare minimum if possible (much higher if possible). In August Apple will start requiring a minimum of 1400px on a side.
Require? Apple thinks they own EPUB?

Square pix? Covers are rarely square. II have over a K worth of dead tree books to prove that.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zobop View Post
It you're talking about pirated books, you'd need to ask the thieving scum who did the scanning.

If you're talking about commercial eBooks, very often it's because the image rights are negotiated separately, and the publisher doesn't have the rights to electronic distribution of the cover image.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
You just have to get a good quality cover image. It will be resized to fit on the screen if the cover display XML is written properly.

If the cover image I find has more then 1024 lines, I reduce it down to 1024 lines and let the width take care of itself. I do like my covers to show with the correct aspect ratio.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #15
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I decided to standardize on 600x800 for mine, mostly because that's the PRS-350's native resolution.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote