Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-07-2010, 12:30 PM   #1
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Malazan vs Wheel of Time or...?

After a recent binge of science fiction purchases I'm thinking of getting some good fantasy series to add to my library.

The problem is I don't know which to choose. I think I narrowed it down to either the Malazan series or Wheel of Time.

I haven't read anything by Steven Erikson so I have no idea if I'd enjoy his work. I vaguely remember reading and enjoying some of the WoT novels, although no particulars come to mind.

Any suggestions on which one to choose? Of course recommendations for another series also welcome.

Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:36 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Neither of those are my cup of tea. I would recommend Paul Kearney's The Monarchies of God -- available in two omnibi(?) for way cheaper than it would cost to buy the 5 volumes independently.

Plus, of course, the series is all done and ready to read.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:31 PM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I haven't read much of the Malazan books but I ahev read a bit of the Wheel of Time boosk and let me tell you they are a bit on the slow moving side and sometimes you need to keep a pad of paper and pen with you to keep notes on whose who in the books. I think this site can help clear away a lot of the confusion so that you do not need to keep notes as you read. http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/A_beginning
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:42 AM   #4
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I couldn't decide which way to go with the fantasy genre so I went with sci-fi.

I ordered the 7 books in the Saga of Seven Suns by Kevin J Anderson. It seems to have had mixed reviews but I kinda like the concept, the saga is complete and best of all the books will look darn cool on my bookshelf!
Old 12-08-2010, 08:08 AM   #5
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
I haven't read Malazan but I really like the wheel of time. However if you don't like long series better drop it as it is looooong... =D

As for the "who is who" in the WoT, ironically some years ago someone got extra copies of an "encyclopedia" of the WoT and gave me one... so I'm happy ^_^
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:19 PM   #6
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
I love the Malazan books, but I've never read WoT. I think the series as a whole is great, complex world(s), interesting characters, and a refreshing lack of black and white morality. Unfortunately some of the later books have suffered, probably a combination of haste to get them published, complexity, and difficulty editing anything out. If you don't like really long books (and series) they probably isn't for you, the first book is the shortest, with some of the later ones getting up to 1200 pages in mass market paperback. The series is 10 books, with the last to be published next year.

I don't have any good comparisons for it. Wikipedia says it has been compared to Glen Cook's The Black Company (I started the first book but never really got into it) and George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire (which I have read, but I don't think the comparison does the Malazan books justice). I do think it's one of the best fantasy series written recently.
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:29 PM   #7
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
The trouble with Wheel of Time is, in later books there are so many characters that:
1) you forget which are which, and
2) time starts flowing really slowly, because author describes what happens to nearly every character.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:17 PM   #8
Marc Johnson
Marc Johnson doesn't litterMarc Johnson doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
I couldn't decide which way to go with the fantasy genre so I went with sci-fi.

I ordered the 7 books in the Saga of Seven Suns by Kevin J Anderson. It seems to have had mixed reviews but I kinda like the concept, the saga is complete and best of all the books will look darn cool on my bookshelf!
Good choice. I loved this series. I always think of it as the sci-fi version of GRRM's A Song of Fire and Ice. The first book starts off a bit slow but towards the end, things get going. Hope you enjoy!
Marc Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:26 AM   #9
Crusader
Space Cadet

Thanks. I'm sure I will enjoy it. It's good to know it gets better after the first one.

Now I just hope the store can fulfill the order. After I placed my order the books all went to 'Out of stock'. Hopefully I got some of the last ones.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:29 PM   #10
dengar
Connoisseur
dengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with others

Device: PW2, K3, Ipad 4, Kindle Fire
Go for David Eddings Belgariad series. Its a great first fantasy series to read. It was my first and it originally got me into fantasy.
dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:07 PM   #11
Kiwimick
Addict
Kiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five words

Device: Sony PRS650
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengar View Post
Go for David Eddings Belgariad series. Its a great first fantasy series to read. It was my first and it originally got me into fantasy.
+2

my daughter and I both got into Fantasy with these books and his Mallorean series both of which we have read a number of times.
Kiwimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:56 PM   #12
Crusader
Space Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dengar View Post
Already read those. They were quite popular when I was still at school. I got loads of my classmates into the series after recommending it to them.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:44 PM   #13
DArenson
ebookworm
DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo, Kindle
WoT was fairly entertaining for the first two or three books. Then it went downhill, in my opinion. I highly recommend Roger Zelazny's "Amber" books; perhaps the best fantasy series out there, along with "Lord of the Rings". I also highly recommend the ongoing "Song of Ice and Fire" series by George R. R. Martin, and the works of Robin Hobb.
DArenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 04:50 PM   #14
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DArenson View Post
WoT was fairly entertaining for the first two or three books. Then it went downhill, in my opinion. I highly recommend Roger Zelazny's "Amber" books; perhaps the best fantasy series out there, along with "Lord of the Rings". I also highly recommend the ongoing "Song of Ice and Fire" series by George R. R. Martin, and the works of Robin Hobb.
Great recommendations.

I'd like to recommend the "Mistborn" series by Brandon Sanderson.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:21 PM   #15
Loss Stop
Enthusiast
Loss Stop is on a distinguished road

Device: kobo 1, prs 350
Have started reading the WOT again after taking a long break (stopped after book 10). I remember book 10 being so bad, but I've had 11 in paperback for a while decided to give it a shot. Sucked me right back in, feels good to go back to it. Almost done 12 and can't wait till TOR come to their senses and release 13 as an ebook.

I've read the first Mistborn book by Sanderson and wasn't a huge fan, was a little concerned what he would do to the WOT, but since the series has been in the crapper the last couple books, couldn't really go wrong.

Where Robert Jordan I felt sometimes over explained physical descriptions, I also felt that Sanderson in the first Mistborn book lacked much description at all, I had a very hard time imaging his world. Was worried what that would mean for the writing of the remaining WOT books, though it seems he has created a perfect balance in his WOT books.

I've picked up the first Malazan book, haven't started it yet however. Apparently the first book is hard to get into but excels afterwards. Also, another plus is that Steven Erikson writes one each year I believe, so you wont be waiting too long like you would/will be for A Song Of Fire And Ice.
Loss Stop is offline   Reply With Quote