Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #1
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Custom fonts with Coolreader on a rooted T1

I can't get custom fonts to work with Coolreader on a rooted T1. Has anyone got it to work?
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #2
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Really? No one has got custom fonts to work with Coolreader on a rooted T1?
Old 10-26-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
Rizla
Member Retired

Well, it seems you can, but it's no easy matter and even risks bricking the device!

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=168282&page=3

Coolreader does not pick up the fonts in the sdcard\fonts folder, and it is very difficult to write fonts to \system\fonts which coolreader will see. See the link above. It's not easy.

Fbreader will accept custom fonts in sdcard\fonts, but it does not recognize the sony page turn buttons.

The bottom line is, there is no good ereading app for the Sony T1 (if you want custom fonts and page turn buttons).

The solution is...use the existing Sony reading software (compile the epub with css just like with a 650). So for me rooting offers no improvement for reading books on the Sony T1.

I'm surprised. Rooting is pointless for reading normal books. It offers no improvement.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:20 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
If your PRST1 is running the 1.0.04.12210 firmware you can use Morkl's modified Sony reading app to change the 7 fonts available from the font menu to your own choices. Much easier than having to modify every epub.

You don't need to root the PRST1 to install it.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:33 PM   #5
Rizla
Member Retired

I'm running 1.05 but thanks for the tip.

I'd be wary of that package, personally:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=200073
I'm not saying it does cause hangs on dictionary use, but I've had a T1 that hung like that (I bought it used), and I've heard of others with the problem.

On a partly positive note, since rooting, the standard Sony reader now displays percentage read and a clock at the bottom. That's a big improvement for me.

Thanks to all the people who made the rooting package available.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:11 AM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
...I'd be wary of that package, personally...
All I can say is that it never caused any dictionary problems for me on my never-rooted PRST1. Indeed it was the only way to fix the bold/italic problems if you wanted to keep using the stock PRST1 reading app, because Sony chose to only implement the simple fix in the PRST2.

Anyway you seem to have found your solution so all is well
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:19 AM   #7
Rizla
Member Retired

Oddly enough, now the Sony reader Only displays books in my custom font (loaded to sdcard\fonts I think). It's showing it in all books, and they were not compiled in Calibre to access the font. Weird...Add to that that it now displays the time in the right corner and percentage (works intermittently) in the left, and I can only assume that the Rupor AMR for 1.05 includes the morkl package.

Oh well, as long as it works
Old 10-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #8
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
All I can say is that it never caused any dictionary problems for me on my never-rooted PRST1.
I'm just very wary of the notorious dictionary-lag issue. I've no idea what causes it.