Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 05-06-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
Xaphiosis
Connoisseur
Xaphiosis doesn't litterXaphiosis doesn't litterXaphiosis doesn't litter

Device: PRS-T1
Lightbulb Serial console (i.e. shell) over USB

I managed to get a shell over USB to my PRS600. So I'm attaching a video (sorry about the quality, but it should show the idea) and everything required to get a shell over USB going.

In usb_con_2010_05_06.tar.gz there are two things mainly:
  • test - porkupan/igorsk loader with a small mod from me
  • reader - to put on the SD card

I wrote detailed documentation (README in each dir) on how to install and use both of these (not just to get a serial console, but in general) as well as an explanation of how everything works, what you need to get to make your own programs and how to compile the kernel modules yourself should you want to. Oh, and also some warnings about what can go wrong and how to prevent it.

Since I don't use windows, the instructions are a bit linux-centric. Since the PRS600 runs linux, I'm guessing people who want a remote shell on it have access to a linux or similar machine anyway.

I also included the program that draws the silly pattern (Sierpinsky carpet) in the video, because it's got comments on how to manipulate the screen (although I made a post about how I figured that out before).

Now that I have a shell, I can kill tinyhttp, open /dev/ttymxc1 myself and see if I can figure out how buttons and the touchscreen work. This might take a while though, so I'm taking this opportunity to release what I have.

If this sort of thing interests you, I hope you find it entertaining :)
Attached Files
File Type: avi PRS600_usb_con.avi (1.87 MB, 1261 views)
File Type: gz usb_con_2010_05_06.tar.gz (399.1 KB, 1076 views)
Xaphiosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
wolfing
wolfing began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
did you find anything interesting?
wolfing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 03:53 PM   #3
Xaphiosis
Connoisseur

I do not understand your question. My post documents exactly what this allows, and my other posts report any findings I thought others might find interesting.

Personally, I find playing around with this stuff interesting in general, so I suppose the answer to your question is "yes".
Old 07-30-2010, 09:26 AM   #4
wolfing
wolfing began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaphiosis View Post
I do not understand your question. My post documents exactly what this allows, and my other posts report any findings I thought others might find interesting.

Personally, I find playing around with this stuff interesting in general, so I suppose the answer to your question is "yes".
Oh I was referring to this part...
Quote:
Now that I have a shell, I can kill tinyhttp, open /dev/ttymxc1 myself and see if I can figure out how buttons and the touchscreen work. This might take a while though, so I'm taking this opportunity to release what I have.
wolfing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:56 PM   #5
Xaphiosis
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfing View Post
Oh I was referring to this part...
As I said, "my other posts", e.g.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1031536
Advert
Old 08-19-2010, 06:07 AM   #6
sartakov
sartakov began at the beginning.

Device: ipaq 5550+opie
im looking a serial console on diagnostic port (large 100pin)
and see it turned off. on 10pin at start i can see small message from bootloader, and no more information. did you find console, or make otg usb ssh at start?
sartakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:06 PM   #7
Xaphiosis
Connoisseur

Well done on connecting directly to the port! That port is ttymxc0 on the device I think. If you want to run a terminal on that port, I suggest trying the getty command, something like this:
Code:
/sbin/getty -n -l /bin/sh 115200 ttymxc0 vt102
As for what I did, yeah, I compiled a version of g_serial (otg usb). However, to use it, you must unload g_file_storage and then load g_serial. If you do that, tinyhttp won't run successfully. Also, see the README file.

Since you're connected directly to the serial/debug port, you should be able to do a getty to get a shell on it on boot, which will work even with tinyhttp running.

Does this help you?

Tags
console, prs600, serial, usb