Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-30-2009, 03:17 AM   #1
Jasoon Carey
Jasoon Carey began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Kindle 2 Security

The K2 has no password protection. The only way I see to manage the problem is to download what you want to buy; de-register; then re-register the next time you shop. Awfully tedious, but when you leave the K2 in your hotel room briefcase or are traveling internationally, you're screwed until you realize you lost it and can log in on the web. Differing opinion?
Jasoon Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:21 AM   #2
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
I keep rather close track of my device - I love it and it cost a lot. Does your contain a lot of personal information? Other than that what is the problem, someone could read some books? If you lose it call Amazon to deregister.

However, should one have personal information, I agree the Kindle should have the option for a password. Good post.
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2009, 07:52 AM   #3
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I suspect the problem would be that someone else could buy books on his account without his assent.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:39 AM   #4
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Someone buying a book without your knowledge could only be a problem if you don't have a computer or email account, since you are sent a message about purchases within minutes of purchase. Amazon will refund the price for several weeks after purchase and you can deregister the Kindle in minutes from a computer. I don't see this as a problem.

If you have any personal info on the Kindle, then that may be a concern, but no more so than carrying around a notebook with personal info in your pocket and losing it.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Please see the explanation of why this really is a non-issue in our Wiki's Kindle Myths and Partial Truths topic.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...es_from_Amazon

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2009, 02:12 PM   #6
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I wish I understood why some people seem to obsess about this.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:50 PM   #7
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Lose your luggage, lose your spouse, just don't lose your Kindle
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:55 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasoon Carey View Post
The K2 has no password protection. The only way I see to manage the problem is to download what you want to buy; de-register; then re-register the next time you shop. Awfully tedious, but when you leave the K2 in your hotel room briefcase or are traveling internationally, you're screwed until you realize you lost it and can log in on the web. Differing opinion?

You are NOT screwed. Amazon will immediately issue you a refund for any books charged to your account illegally, and will not allow any more to be charged to your account.

Nothing can be charged, except books. The Kindle, like any device which can be stolen, should be as well looked after as your laptop, cell phone or IPod.

The fact that it's a book reader does not diminish our own personal responsibility to keep track of it.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:44 PM   #9
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
Lose your luggage, lose your spouse, just don't lose your Kindle
LOL, Kindle is expensive.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:35 PM   #10
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I can understand where you're coming from, though I don't see password protection as being especially useful for this particular device; perhaps if you are using it as a diary or have really sensitive documents.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:28 AM   #11
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
You are NOT screwed. ...Nothing can be charged, except books. The Kindle, like any device which can be stolen, should be as well looked after as your laptop, cell phone or IPod.

The fact that it's a book reader does not diminish our own personal responsibility to keep track of it.
Although true that nothing an Amazon can be charged (since you'd have to log in again, at least I always do), if you use the web browser to log into other sites, they may allow purchases without a confirming login (if you have cookies active with passwords set/saved). No different than any other laptop/netbook or your smartphone, of course.

I do wonder about the ones obsessing over this (they obviously don't have a Kindle, since they don't know how it works, a lot like all the negative reviewers before the K2 even shipped). For those worried about book purchases when away from easy mail retrieval (on a cruise, for example), just remove your CC from the Kindle settings - you'll have to enter it again, of course, to buy books or keep a gift certificate balance, but you won't have to worry if your Kindle is lost/stolen when backpacking across asia. You probably will want to clear the browser cache/history/etc as well, on a regular basis.

Me, I'd worry more about losing my wallet (or CC theft rings in resort destinations that operate out of restaurants or card skimmers at gas pumps).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:29 AM   #12
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Canton View Post
I can understand where you're coming from, though I don't see password protection as being especially useful for this particular device; perhaps if you are using it as a diary or have really sensitive documents.
Yet another reason for the SD card slot - remove sensitive info when not in use (or books you don't want strangers browsing when showing it off).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:46 AM   #13
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
I can only see this as a problem if you have sent your kindle doc's of a personal or sensitive nature. If that is the case, then the onus is on you to protect that information. But as an E-Reader, the damage that can be done to your personal life or bank account by a thief is minimal or non-existant.

Any E-books the thief downloads will be refunded. You can redownload all purchaced books from Amazon, and hopefully for those books that you didn't download from Amazon you have saved on your PC.

The cost of replacing the Kindle far out-weighs any other cost that would be incurred by a thief.

IMHO.
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:47 PM   #14
Nanny
Nanny began at the beginning.

Device: K2, PRS-505, Nokia 520, Fire Phone
From Kindle Myths & Partial Truths - "Every book they "buy" and download causes an email to be sent to you and you realize your Kindle is missing because you didn't buy those books. You contact Amazon and say "My Kindle has been stolen and thief made book purchases, please refund my money, remove the books from the Kindle then deregister it". You also make sure to turn off the 1-Click setting for the Kindle."

Now how do I turn off the 1-Click setting for the Kindle? I can turn off the 1-Click setting for my Amazon account, but 1-Click is still active for Kindle purchases. I can change the credit card info for the Kindle 1-Click so I changed it to a VISA gift card w/ a very small balance.

I wasn't worried about someone making unauthorized purchases until I ordered a Kindle 1 for my niece. I'm not worried about her, I'm just afraid that one of her friends will get ahold of her Kindle & order a bunch of stuff as a joke.

Thanks!
Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:06 AM   #15
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I travel a lot with my Kindle so it IS a bit of a worry. My main problem is the fact I am carrying iphone, macbook pro, camera and kindle usually. So it's not like I have a couple of things to remember, I've got bags and little things to think of.

I guess they can only buy so much if they get their hands on it. It's more of a problem if you keep sensitive docs and contact data on it.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote