Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-27-2008, 08:16 AM   #1
reidjayme
reidjayme began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Lost Usb Cable

I have lost the usb cable for my reader.Is there any advice on how i can get one that would work with the 505.
reidjayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:20 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjayme View Post
I have lost the usb cable for my reader.Is there any advice on how i can get one that would work with the 505.
The USB cable for the 505 is a standard USB to USB-mini cable. Just go to your local computer shop and get one. If need be, bring the 505 to make sure you get the correct plug. The mini plug is male. The connector on the 505 is female.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2008, 08:38 AM   #3
The Alternative
Techno-Junkie
The Alternative doesn't litterThe Alternative doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500 (x's 2), PRS-505, PRS-600, iPhone, iPad
Look around the house first. This same cable is supplied for many home electronics (digital cameras, etc.).
The Alternative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:52 AM   #4
sergiodongala
Connoisseur
sergiodongala doesn't littersergiodongala doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Yes it hapened to my too.
My I have a creative mp3 that uses the same cable, so...
sergiodongala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:08 AM   #5
Lord KiRon
Connoisseur
Lord KiRon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9804
Lord KiRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2008, 01:35 PM   #6
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
This reminds me: the usb cable that came with my 505 has a "lump" on it, similar to the ones found on laptop power upplies etc, a round about 1 inch long and 1/2 inch thick thing. What's that? My regular usb-cables don't have that?
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:08 PM   #7
ZenEngineer
Connoisseur
ZenEngineer has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505
I use the same cable for my wife's mp3 player, my mp3 player, and the Reader. I wish all of our portable electronics used mini-USB so I only had to have one charger and cable.
ZenEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:53 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
This reminds me: the usb cable that came with my 505 has a "lump" on it, similar to the ones found on laptop power upplies etc, a round about 1 inch long and 1/2 inch thick thing. What's that? My regular usb-cables don't have that?
I forget the official name for it, but it helps to suppress electrical interference. Doesn't make any difference unless you're using your Sony close to a source of serious electrical noise (eg arc welders).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:55 AM   #9
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I think it is called a choke. Some cameras come with such things on the usb cable. Was never sure what it does but cameras work fine without it
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:32 AM   #10
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenEngineer View Post
I use the same cable for my wife's mp3 player, my mp3 player, and the Reader. I wish all of our portable electronics used mini-USB so I only had to have one charger and cable.
I certainly understand the "one cable" concept, and I agree wholeheartedly, but not only will all devices have to be redesigned so that they all use the same usb-mini connector, they'll also have to be redesigned electronically so they all use the same amount of current for the charging.

Or am I missing something -- do all USB-mini ports which charge share the same current requirements? So that I could charge my Zen mp3 player, which charges through the USB-mini port, using the same charger that I use for my Bluetooth earpiece, which also charges through the USB-mini-port? I've been leery of trying that, knowing that if the current doesn't match the requirement either the charger or the device could be ruined.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:34 AM   #11
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey View Post
I certainly understand the "one cable" concept, and I agree wholeheartedly, but not only will all devices have to be redesigned so that they all use the same usb-mini connector, they'll also have to be redesigned electronically so they all use the same amount of current for the charging.

Or am I missing something -- do all USB-mini ports which charge share the same current requirements? So that I could charge my Zen mp3 player, which charges through the USB-mini port, using the same charger that I use for my Bluetooth earpiece, which also charges through the USB-mini-port? I've been leery of trying that, knowing that if the current doesn't match the requirement either the charger or the device could be ruined.
USB pinout signals

USB is a serial bus. It uses 4 shielded wires: two for power (+5v & GND) and two for differential data signals (labelled as D+ and D- in pinout). NRZI (Non Return to Zero Invert) encoding scheme used to send data with a sync field to synchronise the host and receiver clocks. In USB data cable Data+ and Data- signals are transmitted on a twisted pair. No termination needed. Half-duplex differential signaling helps to combat the effects of electromagnetic noise on longer lines. Contrary to popular belief, D+ and D- operate together; they are not separate simplex connections.

This is true for USB A, B and mini, so what you get is the +5 volts, no matter what. The bad part about it is that the USB bus can only provide 500 mA, so if you have several devices in the same USB-hub for instance, then they all have to share the 500 mA, and thus, may not charge due to not delivering enough "juice"

Last edited by Slite; 10-01-2008 at 06:37 AM.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:54 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Or am I missing something -- do all USB-mini ports which charge share the same current requirements?
Yes - the max current is a part of the USB spec.

Quote:
So that I could charge my Zen mp3 player, which charges through the USB-mini port, using the same charger that I use for my Bluetooth earpiece, which also charges through the USB-mini-port?
Yes - should work just fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:53 AM   #13
Applied_Micro
Applied_Micro began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Or am I missing something -- do all USB-mini ports which charge share the same current requirements? So that I could charge my Zen mp3 player, which charges through the USB-mini port, using the same charger that I use for my Bluetooth earpiece, which also charges through the USB-mini-port?
The current isn't problem, as it should be standardized among USB ports and devices.

However, I have found that my Sony Reader won't charge from a plain USB cable (with a small power adapter from a wall outlet), unless connected to a PC. This has also mentioned in these forums a couple of times. Well... just wrote about it on another thread...:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...63&postcount=7
Applied_Micro is offline   Reply With Quote