Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-08-2015, 11:11 AM   #1
Annor
Annor began at the beginning.

Device: none
Want to turn off backlight with JB – PW3 or Voyage?

Hi!

I'm considering buying a new Kindle – either a Paperwhite 3 or a Voyage. Obviously I'd prefer to buy a Voyage, but I need to be able to turn off the backlight after having rooted it. Does anyone have any experience with turning off the backlight on a Voyage or Paperwhite 3? Can it be done on both?

/Annor
Annor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:28 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
1. Moved to the dev forum where such posts belong.

2. Yes, it can be done, although it is perhaps worth noting that the light on its minimum setting is the faintest glimmer in a dark room. Few people find it necessary to remove that.

3. For the interests of accuracy, it should be noted that it is a FRONTlight, not a BACKlight. No eInk screen can be backlit, because eInk screens are opaque.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2015, 11:42 AM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Lighting can be controlled via a sysfs virtual file, so that's *probably* not an issue, provided you don't actually try to adjust it via the default UI afterwards (never played with that from inside the framework; stuff that actually *needs* to control the lighting [i.e., KOReader] usually overrides the framework, so that's not an issue in those cases).

I have no idea how the Voyage's ALS affect the equation, though.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:57 AM   #4
Annor
Annor began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for the quick replies.

OK, now I know – thanks a lot. Since jailbreaking will probably be the first thing I do once I get it – could someone direct me to the most updated guide for jailbreaking the PW3? I found a few online, but I'm not completely sure if they're supposed to work on PW3
Annor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:01 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
See the relevant sticky in this forum.

As for the frontlight, someone wrote an easy-to-use KUAL extension for it -- so it shouldn't be a problem.
Worst case, you will need to update it to point to the right sysfs file?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2015, 11:49 PM   #6
esso
esso began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura h2o , kindle paperwhite
On the search bar write ~ds
That will turn off screen saver
Then put a small magnet on the down right corner (the same area the cover magnet open and close the device)
esso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 03:48 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esso View Post
On the search bar write ~ds
That will turn off screen saver
Then put a small magnet on the down right corner (the same area the cover magnet open and close the device)
What does turning off the screensaver have to do with turning off the frontlight?
Old 10-11-2015, 03:59 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It is not a back light. It is a front light. Light cannot pass through an eInk screen. So it has to be lit from the front.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 04:11 AM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Old news, Jon, old news.

You don't need to repeat everything anyone else says, it is quite sufficient for one person to point out the difference... and HarryT beat you to it by several days.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:58 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annor View Post
Hi!

I'm considering buying a new Kindle – either a Paperwhite 3 or a Voyage. Obviously I'd prefer to buy a Voyage, but I need to be able to turn off the backlight after having rooted it. Does anyone have any experience with turning off the backlight on a Voyage or Paperwhite 3? Can it be done on both?

/Annor
Front light off while you continue to use it for reading?
or
Front light off while it is sleeping (and typically showing a screensaver)?

If the latter, then the 5.6.x series of firmware already does that for you -
Hold the power button down for >15 seconds and it will pop-up a panel giving you the choice to either restart the Kindle or to turn off the screen.

If the former, as others have posted, there is a KUAL Menu extension for the purpose of taking control over the screen light settings.

What wasn't mentioned earlier -
After jailbreaking, you will be installing the KUAL Menu anyway -
Since to install any of our add-in packages (the ones in update_*.bin format) you have to use MrPI, which is also a KUAL Menu extension.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:04 AM   #11
esso
esso began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura h2o , kindle paperwhite
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QIhnWP3gusk
esso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:36 AM   #12
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And if you don't want to cut up your expensive cover just to get a magnet to use, see:
http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...1&postcount=25

Last edited by knc1; 10-12-2015 at 05:40 AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:15 PM   #13
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
That may have just saved me the price of another Kindle, thanks!
I have not been happy with the PW1. I wanted the light off and to use an external light (iKross) to get the quality of contrast I used to get without the light on with the older Kindles and with my NST. I have a usable Kindle again. The little magnet I used looks a bit funny, but it should stay in place with clear mailing tape.
Thanks again!
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:02 AM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan50 View Post
That may have just saved me the price of another Kindle, thanks!
I have not been happy with the PW1. I wanted the light off and to use an external light (iKross) to get the quality of contrast I used to get without the light on with the older Kindles and with my NST. I have a usable Kindle again. The little magnet I used looks a bit funny, but it should stay in place with clear mailing tape.
Thanks again!
If you haven't noticed yet:
'~ds' **does not** stand for: 'Disable Screensaver' -
it stands for: 'Disable Sleep'

Although the first might have been the intent, it is the second which is happening on the PW1.
The only way to put a PW1 to sleep with '~ds' in effect is a 'long press' on the power switch (until the light blinks twice).

So keep your PW1 connected to external power.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:33 PM   #15
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
If you haven't noticed yet:
'~ds' **does not** stand for: 'Disable Screensaver' -
it stands for: 'Disable Sleep'

Although the first might have been the intent, it is the second which is happening on the PW1.
The only way to put a PW1 to sleep with '~ds' in effect is a 'long press' on the power switch (until the light blinks twice).

So keep your PW1 connected to external power.
Thanks for that info. I checked the battery and sure enough, even with the wifi off, it used more battery power than I expected overnight. If I press the on/off button too long it completely resets the device. I will have to see if the lowest light setting is tolerable, I may still buy another Kindle without the light. It is ridiculous that Amazon made merely turning the light off a herculean task.
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote