Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-14-2011, 04:30 PM   #1
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
Question about disable indexing permanently by disabling access to "Search Indexes"

Hi,
I want to permantely stop my Kindle to index files.
I never use the search feature, the indexing itself slows my Kindle down, and the index files take a load of disk space, about 1/3 of the books itself.

I have problems with usbnetwork, so I can't use the solution described here.

Right now I do ;debugon ~disableindexing after every reboot, but I want a permanent solution.

I found out that the the index files are stored in the directory
\system\Search Indexes

The old windows trick to delete the folder "Search Indexes" inside of the folder System and create a file with the same name (and to be a bit more safe, make this file write protected) in the folde System works on the Kindle too, no new indexes will be created.

My question, is this a good or a bad idea?
I don't mean to stop indexing itaself, I WANT that.
I mean to do it this way.
The question I am asking is if the Kindle now permanently tries to create indexes (and fail since it can't access the directory) and will use maybe even more CPU time...

Is there a better way?

Btw, I use it on firmware 3.03 (no typo, I do not mean 3.30, I like to see the locations without going to the menu)
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
Never mind, thanks to Matan's Terminal Emulator I could use this solution.
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert