Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #31
ncguy68
Enthusiast
ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet, Asus TF300, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
It's not a scam and you only have to look at the ads if you want to. My KSO is already down to $86 and on track to be free within the next few weeks.

You see the ads in place of wallpaper and you see them on the menu screen(s). Not worth it to me to save $25. If it were a Nook with ads I doubt if it would take long for someone to hack the ads away. LOL
ncguy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:00 PM   #32
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy68 View Post
You see the ads in place of wallpaper and you see them on the menu screen(s). Not worth it to me to save $25. If it were a Nook with ads I doubt if it would take long for someone to hack the ads away. LOL
I agree, a mere $25 price drop seems low for perpetual ads. If they'd made it, I dunno, a $99 deal, then it would have seemed at least a little more reasonable.

Maybe I'm sensitive, but there's a lot of ads that I do not want to see every time my reader goes to sleep. TMI/Trigger - ROT13 to read:

V whfg jrag guebhtu n ernyyl cnvashy vasregvyvgl rkcrevrapr, naq unir yrnearq gung V onfvpnyyl pna'g unir puvyqera rire, rira gubhtu V ernyyl jnagrq bar. V'z abj ernyyl nfgbavfurq ol ubj znal nqf unir xvqf va gurz - rira sbe cebqhpgf gung unir ABGUVAT gb qb jvgu xvqf jungfbrire. V'z fher vg'f n znggre bs gvzr orsber nqf yvxr gung cbc hc ba gur Xvaqyr, naq V'z rdhnyyl fher lbh jba'g or noyr gb svygre bss pregnva pngrtbevrf.

I'm sure people will say it's a special case, but how are you going to feel when you take your Kindle on a business trip, and it goes to sleep and brings up a bodice ripper ad? Or - god help us - a manga?

(That was a reference to the manga thread elsewhere. I like manga just fine. Really!)
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2011, 07:46 PM   #33
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Maybe I'm sensitive, but there's a lot of ads that I do not want to see every time my reader goes to sleep.
It's not as bad as you guys think. I only see the ads (screensavers) if I choose to. I avoid them by simply closing the cover before sliding the power switch off. When ready to read again, I slide the power switch on before opening the cover. At no point during this very simple procedure are the screensavers visible.

As to pricing; if you take advantage of the exclusive offers, you end up paying less than the retail price of $114.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:46 AM   #34
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I'm really interested to see what the Nook new will bring to the table. I'm hoping for an 8 inch screen, like the iRex 800, but I doubt that that will happen. I'm thinking touch screen and Pearl eink., 6 inch format, slimmed down a bit, better batter life.

@tubemonkey: what exclusive offers are you referring to? I might consider getting a Kindle with ads as a backup reader (even though I really, really don't need it).
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:18 AM   #35
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
I'll toss my prediction into the ring...
A new touchscreen eInk nook, the size of the Aluratek Libre Pro... $99.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2011, 12:45 PM   #36
mklynds
That guy, no not that guy
mklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with others

Device: PRS600 Red
After looking into this, I am predicting a 6" reader with pearl screen. Slimmer, lighter and longer lasting than the first Nook. Price point around $100. If they go the touch screen route then I see it in $149 price point. Still competing with kindle but blowing sony's price out of the water.

EDIT: to add that I wouldn't be suprised it they introduce a Special Offer program ala Amazon. Probably not at the launch but maybe slightly later.
mklynds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:10 PM   #37
jswinden
Nameless Being

Let's see, they have done lackluster updates to the NC firmware. Will they introduce a truly updated nook eInk? Probably not. At best they will stick a 6" Pearl eInk screen into it nearly a year after Amazon and Sony did, and call it a great reader! If it still has that tiny LCD it will still be a POS.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:21 PM   #38
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Let's see, they have done lackluster updates to the NC firmware. Will they introduce a truly updated nook eInk? Probably not. At best they will stick a 6" Pearl eInk screen into it nearly a year after Amazon and Sony did, and call it a great reader! If it still has that tiny LCD it will still be a POS.
apple apple apple, steve jobs is god apple apple apple

so did a Barnes and Noble employee catch you bringing a book into the restroom and make you pay for it or somthing?

Last edited by boswd; 05-16-2011 at 02:31 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:38 PM   #39
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post

Well, a 6-7" Pearl touch screen is pretty much exactly what people want in an e-ink reader right now. The current Nook is still relevant and has been a success for them, however battery life needs to be improved and it could stand to lose some weight.

I have a feeling though that no matter what they do you will be here to complain about how it inferior it is and what a failure it will be.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:50 PM   #40
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
where the heck are the leaks? This thing is only a week away!
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:26 AM   #41
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Barnes and Noble has made it official that they will announce the new nook next Tuesday.

http://news.cnet.com/new-nook-to-be-...?tag=cnetRiver
Old 05-17-2011, 10:27 AM   #42
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
where the heck are the leaks? This thing is only a week away!
first major leak, in the cnet article above. It does appear it will have an all touch eink screen.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:49 AM   #43
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

All I can say is that it better be black
Old 05-17-2011, 10:50 AM   #44
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
All I can say is that it better be black
Though graphite would be acceptable. The NOOKcolor is a great example.

Last edited by SCION; 05-17-2011 at 10:52 AM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:57 AM   #45
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
@tubemonkey: what exclusive offers are you referring to? I might consider getting a Kindle with ads as a backup reader (even though I really, really don't need it).
Sorry I'm late, but I missed this. Here's the thread about the offers:

Special Offers for new Kindle (KSO)

Keep in mind that these offers are exclusive to the US. You'll have to do a bit of hoop jumping to get around that restriction.