Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-24-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
desk
desk began at the beginning.

Device: none
Angry Wacky fonts don't do what they are ...

I am new here and although I searched for a solution before posting I did not find anything. That said if I did not search properly and there was already an answer I apologize.

Well, this is my problem. I am going NUTSO and am at the end of my rope trying to figure out how to make the fonts change once they are in my nook color.

Let me explain. I am currently bringing back certain books from the 1800's into the 21st Century. I got the text (ALL FOULED UP) from Google books and corrected it in my word processor. (Which took months)

I saved the text as a FILTERED WEBPAGE and ran it through CALIBRE. The problem is once I load it into my NOOK COLOR. Whenever I try to change the fonts IT DOES NOT WORK! Same with trying to change the line spacing and margins.

I tried pasting the text into notepad and then into KOMPOZER but the same thing happens. Well, sometimes it works some times it doesnt

However with this particular book I want to preserve the italicized parts and some of the formatting it is VERY important that those things stay the way they are.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

It is something wrong with CALIBRE? Why doesn't it do it? Are there other programs that can do it better?

It is very very important for me that this book looks as professional as it can because I this is a non-profit project and I want to show that free books can be just as good or better than the ones you pay for.

Thank you!

Last edited by Starson17; 02-24-2011 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Moved from recipes
desk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:25 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by desk View Post
Angry is not the best icon to use when posting to ask for help. Still, you are new (and did search first).

I've moved your post out of recipes as I think you'll find more info here.

Quote:
I saved the text as a FILTERED WEBPAGE and ran it through CALIBRE. The problem is once I load it into my NOOK COLOR. Whenever I try to change the fonts IT DOES NOT WORK! Same with trying to change the line spacing and margins.
Apparently you started with one format. Then you saved it as HTML, then you may have converted to a format your Nook reads. It's difficult to say whether your problem is in a conversion step, or if you are having trouble editing the final format (whatever that is.)

HTML editing isn't really a Calibre function. If your final output is EPUB, then you may need Sigil to edit it. If it works in one format and not after conversion, it would help to know what worked and what didn't.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
desk

you know i get ANGRY sometimes hence the icon, and i got angry out of frustration and not at anyone in particular. YOU should not get offended.

thanks for the quick reply
Old 02-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
you know i get ANGRY sometimes hence the icon, and i got angry out of frustration and not at anyone in particular. YOU should not get offended.

thanks for the quick reply
If I was offended, I wouldn't have responded (or moved your post to somewhere you might get more help). Still, I thought you should know that the angry icon is not good to use here. Frustrated is no problem.

What about some more information? There are many experts here that can help with conversion problems or html/EPUB editing problems. You have to tell them a bit more to get help. What steps did you take, and what format are you having trouble with? I'm guessing it's now in EPUB, but can't be sure. What was your original format? Did formatting work in your intermediate html step?

Last edited by Starson17; 02-24-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Screen shots and samples of what it looks like and what it should look like would help.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2011, 03:34 PM   #6
desk

@STARSON17 You know I heeded your advice and headed on to sigil. I am exploring it, see if that resolves the issue.

My final output will be EPUB.

the problems are this:

- If I edit the text in HTML (Using Kompozer) and put hyperlinks and anchors for the Chapters, in the final output using CALIBRE to make it into an EPUB, the links do not work.

- If I convert the word text into a FILTERED WEBPAGE, the hyperlinks for Chapters work BUT I cannot change fonts, margins or spaces when I load the ePUB into my device (NOOK COLOR)
Old 02-24-2011, 03:37 PM   #7
desk

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Screen shots and samples of what it looks like and what it should look like would help.
thanks I'll try to do that during the weekend ...
Old 02-24-2011, 03:41 PM   #8
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
@STARSON17 You know I heeded your advice and headed on to sigil. I am exploring it, see if that resolves the issue.

My final output will be EPUB.
Sigil is great, and may do what you need. It will give you lots of flexibility in fine control over the EPUB output.

In Calibre, your control is a bit more coarse, but perhaps more automated.
Quote:
the problems are this:

- If I edit the text in HTML (Using Kompozer) and put hyperlinks and anchors for the Chapters, in the final output using CALIBRE to make it into an EPUB, the links do not work.
I think more info will be needed, and you may want to run it in debug mode. You can also do EPUB to EPUB conversions to "fix" problems like this. I'll let others who are more expert advise you if you want more info.

Quote:
- If I convert the word text into a FILTERED WEBPAGE, the hyperlinks for Chapters work BUT I cannot change fonts, margins or spaces when I load the ePUB into my device (NOOK COLOR)
This seems more like a Nook issue, not Calibre, but it's easy enough to change fonts with Sigil.