Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-30-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
MA0984
MA0984 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Issues with NC power cable / sensitive to touch

Hello everyone! I'm a newbie to the Nook world, I am so happy to have found this forum!!

I have a quick question regarding the Nook Color's power cable/plug-in port.

I have noticed that everytime I plug my NC to charge or to my computer, the slightest touch will disconnect the NC and make the unloaded/loaded notification sound like 2 or 3 times, even if it's fully plugged in.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Also, I just updated to 1.0.1. and it seems to be less of an issue. But I'm not certain if the update would really make that much of a difference. Perhaps I am being too hopeful? lol.

If it persists, I guess I should call the manufacturer. Anyways, I'm just curious if anyone else has had a similar issue and how you went about it. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by MA0984; 12-30-2010 at 05:15 PM.
MA0984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:16 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MA0984 View Post
Hello everyone! I'm a newbie to the Nook world, I am so happy to have found this forum!!

I have a quick question regarding the Nook Color's power cable/plug-in port.

I have noticed that everytime I plug my NC to charge or to my computer, the slightest touch will disconnect the NC and make the unloaded/loaded notification sound like 2 or 3 times, even if it's fully plugged in.

Also, I just updated to 1.0.1. and it seems to be less of an issue. But I'm not certain if the update would really make that much of a difference. Perhaps I am being too hopeful? lol.

If it persists, I guess I should call the manufacturer. Anyways, I'm just curious if anyone else has had a similar issue and how you went about it. Thanks in advance!
What operating system are you using?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
MA0984
MA0984 began at the beginning.

When you say operating system, you mean on my computer? I have windows 7.

However, this also occurs when it's connected to the power charger on the wall. I just had it happen twice as I was browsing the web here. ahh!
MA0984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Understood. Contact support (B&N) and request a replacement cable.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:07 PM   #5
sandystarr28
sandystarr28 began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Same thing happened to me. I contacted B&N. They. Said it is VERY sensitive, and you must always use a light touch when plugging in or removing the power cord. They also warned me NEVER , if at all possible, NEVER READ WHILE IT. IS PLUGGED IN! I found this out the hard way; by the time they checked it, it was so bad it had to be oreplaced...luckily, the kind folks at B&N replaced it for me free of charge, even though I openly admitted purchasing it from Best Buy.Good Luck!
sandystarr28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2011, 08:08 PM   #6
SUSGOD
Connoisseur
SUSGOD began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre-eBook reader PRO
Poorly designed USB connector

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA0984 View Post
-snip-

-snip-
I purchased a Nook Color 3/25/11 and repeatedly had the same problem. After 3 weeks, the NC stopped charging altogether. I brought it back to the B&N store and the sales clerk said the metal USB connector at the end of the cable that plugs into the NC was loose. She wiggled the metal connector with her finger and then gave me a replacement cable free of charge.. I have never had that problem with any other USB cable for any non-B&N device. It appears to be a bad design. The replacement cable has not had a problem. . .yet.

My forefingers are crossed.
SUSGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:27 AM   #7
Kymmmm
Connoisseur
Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Color and Simple Touch
Mine is similar but as I am in australia I will have to buy a new cable I think. I want a epaper Nook as well as the Color I have now so am thinking I will go through USunlocked or something for the lot at once.
I think they need to work on the hardware side as far as the cable goes. Its a bit ratchety and hard to plug in. Would be nice if it just slid in without having to be so accurate.

Kym
Kymmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:29 PM   #8
condor
condor began at the beginning.

I'd be more inclined to blame the socket on the NC, am I wrong?

My NC won't charge unless the cable is slightly raised where it connects to the NC. Likewise for using the cable for transmitting data. My NC is about a month old.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:40 PM   #9
_Violet_
_Violet_ began at the beginning.

I am having the same problem. I think it is a design flaw too. I have never had a problem with connecters from other devices. So far it hasn't stopped working and as long as it doesn't I guess I'll put up with it.
_Violet_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #10
wuziq
wuziq doesn't litterwuziq doesn't litter

Device: nook color
hi, i am experiencing the same thing. i would jiggle the cable, and i could tell from my PC that it was disconnecting / connecting.

i initially thought it was the USB port on my NC. it turns out, it actually IS the NC USB cable itself. the simplest way i can describe it is that the inside of the plug on the cable is very "hollow", so it doesn't bind well against the black plastic part inside the port on the NC.

the USB cable for my cell phone has a very similar form factor, yet the inside of the plug on the cable is "narrower", and so has a better bond when plugged into the NC. i can jiggle my cell phone cable all i want, and it stays connected no matter what.

i've taken a picture to show the difference: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wuziq/6696342611/

hope this helps some people resolve the mystery.
wuziq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #11
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
That does help explain it,
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote