Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #16
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschiller View Post
Hi all

I live in Brazil, and I'd love to be able to use a Kindle. I am aware that wireless downloads directly to the device would not be possible, but would I be able to download books/magazines/newspapers/etc to my computer, and then transfer them to the Kindle?

Thanks for your input
Buy it on Ebay.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:20 AM   #17
meibao
meibao began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkabir View Post
You don't need a U.S. credit card. If your account is with amazon USA, then use a valid U.S. address and add gift codes for purchase, and finally delete the credit card information. Now you would be able to buy kindle books. But you can't buy pre-order books. Whenever, you run out of money from your gift card just buy gift cards by adding your credit card, and delete thereafter; or use a different amazon account with a different email to buy gift cards - that's probably the best way.
Figured out what to do, just set up another US Amazon account just for my kindle stuff, use a US address, don't add a credit card and just use gift cards for purchases which I would buy using my other account which is linked to my non-us credit card. Any way it makes it a little easier for me to control my kindle spending cos then I'll just allocate a certain sum each month lol
meibao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:03 PM   #18
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Yea, you can buy a kindle on ebay fairly cheap, especially a used one.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:19 AM   #19
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
There's an ebook (in mobi format) that I would really like but it's available only at Amazon, been outside the US I can't purchase it but is it possible for someone with an Amazon kindle account to purchase it and then remove the drm and send it to me?
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:27 AM   #20
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
There's an ebook (in mobi format) that I would really like but it's available only at Amazon, been outside the US I can't purchase it but is it possible for someone with an Amazon kindle account to purchase it and then remove the drm and send it to me?
Theoretically it's possible, yes. I'm sure you didn't actually mean to ask anyone to do that because that would be illegal.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 12:27 PM   #21
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Theoretically it's possible, yes. I'm sure you didn't actually mean to ask anyone to do that because that would be illegal.
Actually I was just thinking out load
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:36 AM   #22
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
If you have a US based credit card, you can use Sony's US store. But if not, I believe you can use fictionwise.
What about BookOnBoard? I prefer them over Fictionwise because they seem to have a better selection of newer releases. Can you shop there even without a US Based credit card.

Another option for the sony would be to send someone in the US money and have them buy giftcards for the Sonystore for you.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:46 PM   #23
iggysprint
iggysprint began at the beginning.

Device: KindleDX
SIngapore

Quote:
Originally Posted by meibao View Post
I've checked with Amazon and as for the purchase of the Kindle itself, it can be purchased with a non-US issued credit card but the item has to be sent to an address in the US.

For the purchase of content, they say it has to be linked to a US issued credit card.

I live in Singapore and intend on getting a Kindle. Lucky for me my postal service here has a service where they will provide us with an address in the US and then ship it out to us here, so that's what I'm gonna do when I purchase my Kindle. As for content, well there's so much free stuff out there for me to upload to my Kindle, I don't think I'll be purchasing any content from Amazon any time soon but I will give the gift card route a try.
Hi Meibao..I live in Singapore and have the kindle DX... i be happy to help you if you intend to get one
iggysprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:31 PM   #24
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate0072 View Post
If I were you, I would wait until Amazon decide to release the Kindle worldwide, or in my case buy the Sony Reader 505, which in my opinion is the better option anyway.

Good luck!
Nate, I may be wrong but I've been under the impresson that the Sony PRS-505 does not have the study features like highlighting, note-taking, in-line dictionary, and searches of book and of entire device for a keyword or phrase.

Those are important to me, so if it doesn't have those, it's not necessarily the better option even overseas.

Let me know if I've got it wrong on that model. I realize the Sony PRS-700 has decent study features though.

For any UK folks waiting on the Kindle, Amazon is heavily reported to be trying to be able to launch the Kindle in the UK before Xmas and Qualcomm would be heavily involved. Not finalized but close, they say.

- Andrys

Last edited by andrys; 07-17-2009 at 10:38 PM.
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:09 AM   #25
Xiaopanda
Addict
Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschiller View Post
Hi all

I live in Brazil, and I'd love to be able to use a Kindle. I am aware that wireless downloads directly to the device would not be possible, but would I be able to download books/magazines/newspapers/etc to my computer, and then transfer them to the Kindle?

Thanks for your input
Welcome dschiller,

I live in Singapore, and I bought my partner a Kindle2. As mentioned before, you need a US credit card AND a US mailing address for copyright reasons.

I have a friend who worked with me to get this to happen. You also need to create an Amazon Account using your US mailing address as the billing address, as well as a second Account with any address.

From your second account you buy Gift cards to send to your Kindle account to top up and buy books from Amazon. You MUST use either gift cards or a US credit card to buy Kindle books from Amazon, (another copyright thing.) See Harry's explianation below, NOT a copyright thing at all.....
It's been about oh, 4 mths + for me doing this with no problems.

A bit of hassle, but hey, can't have everything....

BTW, I have an EZ reader, but can't get stuff form Amazon

Last edited by Xiaopanda; 07-18-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Xiaopanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:23 AM   #26
skysign
skysign began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
You can buy a Kindle DX with Non-US credit card in amazon.com website,
But shipping address must be in US.

Even, I don't live in US, but I ordered a Kindle DX with my credit card to friend who live in US.

BTW, I'm looking for a way to buy book by enabling USB Network.
Does someone know how to enable it?

Thanks in advance
Kenny
skysign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:31 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaopanda View Post
From your second account you buy Gift cards to send to your Kindle account to top up and buy books from Amazon. You MUST use either gift cards or a US credit card to buy Kindle books from Amazon, another copyright thing.
A minor correction: the restriction on buying books has absolutely nothing to do with copyright, but rather is because of the terms of Amazon's book distribution contracts, which restrict them to selling books to customers in the USA.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:21 AM   #28
Xiaopanda
Addict
Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A minor correction: the restriction on buying books has absolutely nothing to do with copyright, but rather is because of the terms of Amazon's book distribution contracts, which restrict them to selling books to customers in the USA.
Fanx Harry!

thought it had to do with copyright, but I can stand to be corrected....

I can get a little muddled sometimes..
Xiaopanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:56 PM   #29
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by presman View Post
Hey, you can send usonestop an email, and they will send you the Kindle for free anywhere in the world! No kidding. They will buy for you the Kindle and ship it for free. They do not write it in the website, just contact them by mail
So they're just a "good-time" company not interested in making money? Or is there some other cost to offset this free delivery?

Help me to understand, please.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:34 AM   #30
evdberg
Enthusiast
evdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five words

Device: Sony PRS-500, Kindle Paperwhite 3
I tried to buy a giftcard on amazon.com, but my non-us creditcard was not accepted. What am I doing wrong? Because above several people mentioned it should work. Can someone confirm it still works?
evdberg is offline   Reply With Quote