Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-21-2010, 05:36 AM   #1
Iain
Enthusiast
Iain began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
css exceptions

If I have this right, the ePub standard officially supports all css properties (and a couple more), however not all devices do so.

For example iBooks on iPad appears to ignore top and bottom margins (though I've not tried to track that down yet).

Are there any resources which note these discrepencies?

If not, and I made a web site database thingy that let people register css / device / epub oddities, would there be any interest in the community filling it in?

(by the way, if the answer is yes, I'd be happy to receive suggestions as to what could be included...)

Iain
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
ConorHughes
ConorHughes began at the beginning.

Device: All of the above
I'm not sure as to the entirety of what is supported on the ipad and not however I can tell you that margins are supported. I export my epubs from indesign and indesign automatically applies any spacing in the paragraph style as margin or text-indent. The ipad honors those values in turn.

What the ipad does NOT support is the page-break property, widows and orphans and more. Nor of course does it support embedded fonts. You have 6 on the ipad to select from, and in the case of non-roman languages, it appears to be only 1 font. Hope that helps, All the best/c
ConorHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 09:32 AM   #3
Iain
Enthusiast

Thanks - I've now checked that the margins (I was concerned with top and bottom) and they are supported. So I need to look elsewhere to find out where this gap is going

Iain
Old 09-24-2010, 09:39 AM   #4
ConorHughes
ConorHughes began at the beginning.

Device: All of the above
Could you post the relevant source code?
ConorHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:42 AM   #5
Iain
Enthusiast

I'm too embarrased. I was putting commas between the numbers in the margin: statements in the css file.

I've found a project intended to check epub compliance with standards (http://code.google.com/p/epub-conform/). However, it is somewhat cumbersome to use (especially when you are trying to test iPad - adding hundreds of 'compliance' epubs is awkward.

Also, of the ones I've tried out with Calibre on the PC, most seem to indicate a non-conformance, but it's hard to see exactly what's happening.

I'm looking at using these as a basis for some longer epubs so that one can test compliance with only a few docs, but I'm not sure where I'm going to find the time

Iain
Advert
Old 10-07-2010, 11:24 AM   #6
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain View Post
If I have this right, the ePub standard officially supports all css properties (and a couple more), however not all devices do so.

For example iBooks on iPad appears to ignore top and bottom margins (though I've not tried to track that down yet).

Are there any resources which note these discrepencies?

If not, and I made a web site database thingy that let people register css / device / epub oddities, would there be any interest in the community filling it in?

(by the way, if the answer is yes, I'd be happy to receive suggestions as to what could be included...)

Iain

Why not use the mobileread wiki - I'm sure I'm not the only one who would appreciate guides to what is acceptable in coding up ePubs and all the 'unfortunate' quirks!
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:39 AM   #7
Iain
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Why not use the mobileread wiki - I'm sure I'm not the only one who would appreciate guides to what is acceptable in coding up ePubs and all the 'unfortunate' quirks!
The problem is that the wiki isn't structured. I have in mind something which would let you look at the foibles by css element, or eBook version or Device typoe and so on - in other words searching.

I think it the sort of thing which a database would suit better than a wiki.

Iain
Old 10-08-2010, 03:45 AM   #8
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain View Post
The problem is that the wiki isn't structured. I have in mind something which would let you look at the foibles by css element, or eBook version or Device typoe and so on - in other words searching.

I think it the sort of thing which a database would suit better than a wiki.

Iain
Agreed...excellent idea. Karma for you
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
css, upub