Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-01-2009, 02:16 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It works just fine for me. I buy Micropay credits via PayPal, and then buy books using Micropay.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:43 AM   #32
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please read what he said again. It's the PUBLISHER who requires that the retailer does this.

It has NOTHING TO DO with copyright law. It's a matter of the distribution contract that the publisher has with the author, which often contains geographical restrictions. Eg, many books have different UK and US publishers.
Exactly what I said. He said not the publisher's fault. To quote "The publishers are not to blame here".

I disagreed. Which is exactly what you just did.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2009, 12:04 PM   #33
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
It works just fine for me. I buy Micropay credits via PayPal, and then buy books using Micropay.

It's a way around the geographical restriction - but the discounts only apply when paying by credit card ..... so I can't take advantage of the 9 year anniversary 'sale' ....

I've just had to abandon a purchase of 10 books because everyone of them was geographically restricted. As 8 of them are part of the Discworld series by a UK author; and this is the FIRST time it has happened to me, I'm annoyed to say the least ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:07 PM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
It's a way around the geographical restriction - but the discounts only apply when paying by credit card ..... so I can't take advantage of the 9 year anniversary 'sale' ....
You can pay by PayPal. That gets you the discount, and works fine. I've done it myself.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:08 PM   #35
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You can pay by PayPal. That gets you the discount, and works fine. I've done it myself.

Interesting, I've just had a look in my cart and it definitely states "discount with credit card" - but I'll give it a go, thanks Harry...
Advert
Old 05-27-2009, 12:18 PM   #36
GeoffC

Gone through a paypal transaction, but I'm left not knowing if the payment has gone through....there is no confirmation, and I'm left back at the cart with no buttons available to press....

GAH !!!!!
Old 05-27-2009, 12:22 PM   #37
GeoffC

Okay - no transactions have gone through paypal ..... is it because I've used a credit card option ? rather than a bank account ?

GAH !!!!

WHICH IS MOST EVIL - DRM or Geographical Restriction !!!!!!!!
Old 05-27-2009, 12:24 PM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Were you actually taken to PayPal, Geoff? You should have had to log on to your PayPal account, click a "Make Payment" button, and then a "Return to Merchant" screen to come back to FW.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:27 PM   #39
GeoffC

Quote:
Were you actually taken to PayPal, Geoff? You should have had to log on to your PayPal account, click a "Make Payment" button, and then a "Return to Merchant" screen to come back to FW.

Oh Yes, I definitely logged onto Paypal, into my account and made the transaction using one of the loaded credit cards - I'm wondering if that is the problem.
I was then returned to Fictionwise cart, no "by-your-leave" - and I have ERROR: The eBook(s) marked below cannot be purchased with the credit card you are trying to use, because those books have geographic rights restrictions by the publisher.. No option to do anything except BACK and remove the offending books from my cart .....

Do you use your credit card? or a nominated bank account - though even the bank account will have a UK identity ...
Old 05-27-2009, 12:29 PM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

That may indeed be the problem. I use PayPal with my bank account, which doesn't appear to have any "geographical" identity. I've most definitely used PayPal to buy geographically-restricted books, and it's worked for me.

Sorry that you've had such problems .
Old 05-27-2009, 12:33 PM   #41
GeoffC

Interesting, and also annoying.

The Back option on my Fictionwise display took me to Paypal, not to the cart. Choosing my bank account also failed .....

Double GAH !!!!!!
Old 05-27-2009, 12:44 PM   #42
GeoffC

So....

I have recently paid for a subscription, that allows me to buy at a discount.

I cannot purchase the books I want to, or I lose the value of the discount option..

It may not be Fictionwise's fault - but they are not acting in my best interest as a club customer.

(Harry, not your problem - you have no need to say sorry - though confirmation you can still use paypal successfully would be of some small comfort)...
Old 05-27-2009, 12:47 PM   #43
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
So....

I have recently paid for a subscription, that allows me to buy at a discount.

I cannot purchase the books I want to, or I lose the value of the discount option..

It may not be Fictionwise's fault - but they are not acting in my best interest as a club customer.

(Harry, not your problem - you have no need to say sorry - though confirmation you can still use paypal successfully would be of some small comfort)...
Just a thought: Maybe you should try to remove your credit card completely from your account & then try again to buy with paypal....

I know that you needed to do similar things in Amazon if you wanted to buy ebooks for the kindle from outside the US.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:50 PM   #44
GeoffC

Dave, thanks for that suggestion.

I need to calm down a bit before I make the next step, or I'll blow a gasket and do something I might regret .....
Old 05-27-2009, 12:53 PM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
Just a thought: Maybe you should try to remove your credit card completely from your account & then try again to buy with paypal....
That may well be the issue. I don't have a credit card registered with FW at all.