I am using search function. 21 14.89%
I use shelves. 53 37.59%
I'd like to have collections. 13 9.22%
I don't need it. 59 41.84%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #166
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
"Byte" makes me think of Jerry Pournelle's unfair dissing of my QX-10 and its Valdocs "OS".

Then there is Gordon R Dickson's "Wolfling", that sorta makes "TechniSol's" point, at least as to the value of knowing the underlining technology.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #167
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I don't know if anyone remembers reading a short story by Isaac Asimov called The Fun They Had but it strikes me as becoming more fact than fiction and a lot faster than Doc Asimov would have predicted.

http://users.aber.ac.uk/dgc/funtheyhad.html

Regards,
David
I wish! The adoption of Social Engineering as the major function of our education system and the advent of the enforcer group "the Teacher's Union", makes me long for an efficient AI based education system for our progeny.

Luck;
Ken
Advert
Old 06-29-2013, 06:14 PM   #168
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Quote:
There were all the hobbyist run BBS systems and long distance phone bills that were unbelievable.
I used to run a BBS on my Atari ST back in the late 80's and I remember making toll calls from New Zealand to other boards in the US in order to download games for my users to play, at NZ$3 a minute. I ran up a bill of about $1200 over a couple of months, fortunately I was single and care-free at the time and so a lot of my income went into my hobby.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:39 AM   #169
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by moffattm View Post
I used to run a BBS on my Atari ST back in the late 80's and I remember making toll calls from New Zealand to other boards in the US in order to download games for my users to play, at NZ$3 a minute. I ran up a bill of about $1200 over a couple of months, fortunately I was single and care-free at the time and so a lot of my income went into my hobby.
I started my BBS on a CP/M S-100 bus machine with a PMMI modem in 1980 -- 600 bps, moved it to a clone of the Big Board from JLS computers with an added SASI interface for a 10MB hard drive and finally to a series of IBM clones running OS/2. The software went from CBBS to Maximus/2 with a few detours in between. In the detours, I learned more than I actually wanted to know about programming in BDS C for CP/M and Pascal for DOS. I got involved in Fidonet which cut down my LD phone bills but added to my stress -- herding cats at its finest. I finally shut the BBS down in 2002 as the tech support side which paid the bills for the BBS was being less and less used and the public side was down to 1-3 callers per day -- the 604 BBS list was down to less than 15 systems listed from it's peak of over 2000 systems when it was last published.

Very fond memories of people such as Ward Christensen, Randy Seuss, Steve Vinokuroff, Scott Dudley, Joe Frankiewicz. I'd better stop here as the list keeps getting longer.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 06-30-2013 at 02:07 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:54 AM   #170
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Quote:
I started my BBS on a CP/M S-100 bus machine with a PMMI modem in 1980 -- 600 bps, moved it to a clone of the Big Board from JLS computers with an added SASI interface for a 10MB hard drive and finally to a series of IBM clones running OS/2. The software went from CBBS to Maximus/2 with a few detours in between. In the detours, I learned more than I actually wanted to know about programming in BDS C for CP/M and Pascal for DOS. I got involved in Fidonet which cut down my LD phone bills but added to my stress -- herding cats at its finest. I finally shut the BBS down in 2002 as the tech support side which paid the bills for the BBS was being less and less used and the public side was down to 1-3 callers per day -- the 604 BBS list was down to less than 15 systems listed from it's peak of over 2000 systems when it was last published.

Very fond memories of people such as Ward Christensen, Randy Seuss, Steve Vinokuroff, Scott Dudley, Joe Frankiewicz. I'd better stop here as the list keeps getting longer.

Regards,
David
It sounds like you were a lot more into BBS's than me!

I recognise Ward Christensen's name, not because of his work with CBBS but rather for the XMODEM protocol. I implemented a version of XMODEM for Primos in the late 80's to help me transfer files to client's computers (prior to that we would send tapes around the country).
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2013, 05:48 AM   #171
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Quote:

I recognise Ward Christensen's name, not because of his work with CBBS but rather for the XMODEM protocol. I implemented a version of XMODEM for Primos in the late 80's to help me transfer files to client's computers (prior to that we would send tapes around the country).
Ah - XMODEM , I did an implementation of that in 8080 assembler for a CP/M machine we had at work as part of a terminal program to let me access bulletin boards at 300Bd. Reverse engineering the CBIOS so I could get at the serial port was the most interesting bit. It got me into the need to understand the low level stuff that most folk won't have heard of like floppy drive skew tables for mapping physical to logical sectors on a FDD.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #172
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

Ward Christensen and Randy Seuss were the authors of CBSS, Steve Vinokuroff ran one of the first BBS systems in Vancouver (Vancouver CBBS/RCPM) with a multiline version using MP/M. Scott Dudley was responsible for the Maximus BBS package of which I used the OS/2 version. Joe Frankiewicsz was with US Robotics and I spent quite a bit of time chatting with him during the various beta programs. I was very happy when USR went to flash memory though there was a certain joy in having little packages delivered through the mail slot that downloading a flash update couldn't match.

I did enjoy being involved with BBS systems and 'met' quite a few people I enjoyed knowing through the years.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #173
theonna
One
theonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony, Kindle,Pocketbook, Nook...
It seems we getting closer and closer to people who could benefit from file manger being equal to people who feel like they don't need it...
theonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #174
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonna View Post
It seems we getting closer and closer to people who could benefit from file manger being equal to people who feel like they don't need it...
It must be all of the talk about old computers: it's making people nostalgic.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:23 AM   #175
rexxmagnus
rexxmagnus began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I definitely want a file browser. I bought an Aura HD to read technical docs as A4 is fairly readable at full page size, but the lack of file management on the device means that the hundreds of documents I have are all in the same 'pile', and given that I don't know the titles of the individual files, the search is useless for me.

I have messaged Kobo numerous times and they say that they are looking into the possibility of adding a file browser. Eight months later and it's still not materialised.
rexxmagnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:28 AM   #176
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@rexx: You might want to look in to the alternate readers people have made available for the Kobo's; CoolReader and KoReader I think...
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:40 AM   #177
Ken Maltby
Wizard

You lose nothing of the official Kobo software when you add the alternative readers, in fact they are usually launched from the Kobo interface just as if they were another book.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=226456

Both CoolReader and Koreader use File Managers and both can be set to read "hidden" files and folders. That way you can hide your library from Kobo's processing and database. I keep ~ 7000 ebooks on an external uSD card in my AuraHD 3.1.1.

Luck;
Ken
Old 02-07-2014, 02:44 AM   #178
rexxmagnus
rexxmagnus began at the beginning.

Thanks! I was completely unaware that you could install software like that on the Kobo readers. I'll check it out!
rexxmagnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:26 AM   #179
t_chip
t_chip began at the beginning.

touch based brower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
You lose nothing of the official Kobo software when you add the alternative readers, in fact they are usually launched from the Kobo interface just as if they were another book.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=226456

Both CoolReader and Koreader use File Managers and both can be set to read "hidden" files and folders. That way you can hide your library from Kobo's processing and database. I keep ~ 7000 ebooks on an external uSD card in my AuraHD 3.1.1.

Luck;
Ken
I would like a browser similar to the Android application ES File Explorer Pro that allows you to browse files on a network attached drive and copy them to the Kobo via wifi for the convenience of not having to connect to a computer. I will check out CoolReader and Koreader to see if they can do that or only browse locally.
t_chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:42 AM   #180
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Both the Coolreader port and KOReader include an OPDS feature. Your NAS may already provide the server to make such a connection. KOReader also has "Cloud" and FTP support, as well as calibre interfacing tools.

Luck;
Ken