Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 11-22-2008, 07:00 PM   #1
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Gladden, Washington: Who Wrote The Bible? v1, 22 November 2008

Hi,

Washington Gladden, (February 11, 1836 - July 2, 1918) was a leading American Congregational church pastor and early leader of the Social Gospel movement.

In this book he writes about who wrote the bible, using scientific data that biblical scolars have discovered from that age.
He uses other literature, and his own to back trace the authenticity of the bible, and biblical figures in a historical and scientific way.

This book is advised for people with some knowledge of biblical doctrines, and biblical history(especially bible school students,or anyone interested in history at all).

This book has been edited as far as I could and could have minor issues.
I'm happy to correct them once pointed out.
Emdashes, and footnote errors are left in this book. This due to BD not being very friendly with me .. lol..
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf Who Wrote the Bible.lrf (460.6 KB, 636 views)

Last edited by ProDigit; 11-26-2008 at 01:03 PM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 07:37 PM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Please check the posting guidelines. One thing you need to fix is the thread title, but that can be done only by a moderator now. Some description of what the book is about wouldn't hurt as well.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2008, 07:49 PM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I've fixed the title, so that it fits in with our naming conventions.
This isn't mere pedantry: the book won't appear properly in the book upload index unless it follow the convention.

Also I've moved the thread to the LRF book section, because this is an LRF format book.

I'm off to have a look at it now. The title looks interesting.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:39 PM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For a first attempt with Book Designer, this is not bad at all: I know that it took me a while before I got the hang of the program.
Here are a few suggestions:
The title for chapter 1 is currently:
BY
CHAPTER 1
And this also appears in the footers.

I suggest that you delete the “BY”, which is probably an editing error – and is either a misplaced title or subtitle. If you go to the tools menu, then select “element browser” you can find and delete (or amend) any incorrect titles or subtitles quickly. (The footer will then also appear correctly.)
On p.4 (small font) there’s a problem: “coordinating” appears as "co & 246 # ; rdinating" rather than the intended "coördinating." This can be solved by setting the language as German and importing the Book Cleaner files.
I invariably set the language as German: Book Designer always works best in it.
The emdashes (long dashes, the width of the character “m”) have come out as hyphens. This can be solved by importing the book Cleaner files. Also, when you have opened the “make Sony Book” pane, remember to check the box to leave the dashes “as it is” in the text.
Italics. The PG source has used underscores to indicate passages which should appear in italics, _like this._ I see that you have replaced some of the underscores with italics, but there are some still underscored.
It does look much nicer if you replace the lot with real italics.
It can be done in BD. But it is probably faster to do this in Word.
Here’s an easy way to do it (which I copied from another post a long time ago. I’m afraid that I can’t remember whose it was, but it works):

Use _(*)_ (wildchars enabled) in the "Find" field. Then place your cursor in the "Replace" field and hit the More/Format/Font and select "Italic". Don't type anything in that field. Then "Replace all".
Then, write _ in the "Find" field (wildchars disabled). Be sure you remove the formatting instructions from the "Replace" field and that you haven't hit space bar in the field. "Replace all".
If something looks wrong after you did this properly, probably the problem is that one of the _italics was not closed in the *.txt. The number of underscores in the *.txt must be a pair.

Footnotes. You’ve left them as you found them in the PG source: embedded in the text. That’s fine. But, as you get more experienced then you can use “Notes and links” in the edit menu to hyperlink them, so that they can go to the end of the book, if you prefer an uncluttered text.

If you search the forums you may find some useful advice. I learned a lot from HarryT's Book Designer tutorial:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10313
Also I find that Stingo's Word Macro is very useful in converting Gutenberg Text files:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8793
And many people find that =X='s BookCreator macro is also very useful:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28313
Old 11-22-2008, 09:02 PM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
"coördinating" is actually not an error, the dieresis shows that the second o starts a new syllable.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2008, 09:07 PM   #6
Patricia
Reader

I know. Hm. I actually typed that post into a doc and pasted it in. But the clever mobileread fairies corrected it automatically.

This is what I typed, except that I've had to add some spaces, to prevent the fairies from working their magic:

On p.4 (small font) there’s a problem: “coordinating” appears as “co & 246 # ;rdinating.” This can be solved by setting the language as German and importing the Book Cleaner files.
I invariably set the language as German: Book Designer always works best in it.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:37 PM   #7
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for your quick and responsive replies!

1- I've modified and corrected the issues mentioned in the lrf;the 'by' has been removed.

2- But I still have an issue to display the correct 'o' for coordinating.
I've done as said,loaded it in German. The text shows correct in txt format on the reader, but when converting it through BD,I never seem to get the letter correct in the lrf format.
Any help here would be appreciated!

Patricia,
on point 3 you mention em-dashes. Can you clarify that a little more? I don't think I found any dashes apart from ordinary '-'dashes, and underscores.

I've also corrected other small issues in the book, including increasing the border size to 7pt instead of 5, since that reads better for the eyes.

4- At the moment most of my updates are done manually, since I don't own a Microsoft word edition, however if I look into my archives I think I can dig out MS Word 2003 edition somewhere... But all _underscores_ have been converted to italic.

5- I still have to look into footnotes and how to use them, but as soon as I get the hang of them,I'll post the updated version (.V2).

I've also updated and corrected some chapter titles, and smaller layout issues.

Also,would you recommend adding an index (with hyperlinks to chapters)?

Thanks again!

Last edited by ProDigit; 11-23-2008 at 08:15 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:34 PM   #8
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Another question,
On amazon they are selling this book for $22,and it says copyrighted, despite this book being available on gutenberg.org, and being created in 1900 (references showed this book was created in the year 1900).

I know it's not a problem to download that in USA, but need there to be any additional changes made with this info?

thanks.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:46 PM   #9
Patricia
Reader

About the last question: there's no problem at all about uploading a book in the public domain here. You can buy public domain books (Charles Dickens is also for sale at Amazon). Sometimes publishers slap a copyright notice on in hopes that no-one will notice. Other times they add introductions, notes etc and, strictly speaking, it is these that are copyrighted. And if the editor has had to do a lot of work on the text then it may be considered a derivative work, with its own copyright.

Now, the other things:

Table of Contents
Yes, I would add a table of contents. Either follow the instructions in HarryT's BD tutorial, or let BD do it automatically.
1. See that all chapter titles are set as titles.
2. Put your cursor below the book title.
3. Click on the insert menu. Select "make toc (all).
4. A toc magically appears.
If any subtitles appear wrongly below the toc, then just copy, cut and paste them into the correct place.

Footnotes can be linked in the way described in HarryT's BD tutorial.

ö
About the ö problem. I think that this may be due to the fact that you don't have Word on your computer. BD needs Word in order to function properly. (You don't actually have to use it yourself, but it needs to be on the computer for BD to access when necessary). It is possible to make books without having word, but one will frequently run into this sort of problem.
To solve the immediate problem you just might give up and substitute 'co-ordinating 'for 'coördinating'.
(If you don't want to use Word at all, then abandon BD and try Calibre.)

Emdashes
Emdashes are dashes the width of the letter m—like this—and occur frequently, especially in novels, to separate ideas. Your source may have represented them as two hyphens--like that.
Now, BD will automatically render all dashes or double hyphens as single hyphens unless you tell it otherwise. The way to make it preserve all dashes at the right length is to download the Book Cleaner files and drop them into BD’s Book cleaner directory. Also, when making a Sony Book, click on the leave all dashes “as it is” option.
If you compare your book with the original source, you will see that it did not use single hyphens for dashes. If you want your book to look perfect then you will either have to remake it, or go through the text and check every dash. This takes ages. (So you may decide to live with hyphens for your first attempt.) If you can face checking each hyphen, it can be changed to an emdash in the insert menu. Choose "insert long dash".

By now, I expect that you wish you had chosen a shorter work to start with. But you are certainly doing very well. Good luck.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:56 AM   #10
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Thank you Patricia.

At this moment I guess I may restore some of the emdashes, since there are hundreds and hundreds of them, and leave your advice on them for my next book!
I just found my copy of Word, so hopefully editing the document will go faster.

I have a photo of Washington Gladden, which I would want to put at the end of the book. BD does not show the picture (just shows picture frame, and a red X in it).
So I tried reformatting the picture to jpeg, and BMP, however it does not seem to accept more than one picture.
Is there a setting that needs to be changed, or does BD only accept pictures in the beginning?

Also, I thought I read .lrf file supports upto 3 lettertypes (Fonts) in one book. How can I change the fontstyle of a (title) sentence, without altering the book? Is that possible?
Old 11-24-2008, 11:00 AM   #11
Patricia
Reader

BD should accept pictures with no problem. I've included dozens in a single book. Are you using the "insert" menu to insert the picture?

To alter the font of a title, go to the make sony books pane and click on styles. Set the title style to your chosen font and size.

It is possible to include more than one font in the text itself. In the make Sony book pane, go to the tabs and tweak the epigraph style, so that it is your second font. Edit the relevant portion of text so that it is set as an epigraph.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:44 PM   #12
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
BD should accept pictures with no problem. I've included dozens in a single book. Are you using the "insert" menu to insert the picture?

To alter the font of a title, go to the make sony books pane and click on styles. Set the title style to your chosen font and size.

It is possible to include more than one font in the text itself. In the make Sony book pane, go to the tabs and tweak the epigraph style, so that it is your second font. Edit the relevant portion of text so that it is set as an epigraph.
Alright, the problem seems when I reload the book in BD,that pictures disappear, and they just need to be deleted, and re-inserted.

other issues like having a book, saving it, and reloading does sometimes lead to loss of work (like I get a lot of page breaks added, titles misplaced, etc...)

I've been busy learning, gathering sources, etc... for other documents. There are some good books coming up soon (if I can get them finished hopefully)!

But back to this book, I've already created a nice TOC for this book.
I also installed MS Word,now the 'o' from "Coordinating" is correct.

I still have issues with the emdashes, I added 2 files to bookcleaner but am not 100% sure if they are the right ones that convert the emdashes.

the forum is really a wonderful help, but if I'm not careful I spend all day reading,and the actual work goes very slow...
I want to get the hang of BD and LRF creation fast, before I resume work again, so that I'll be able to fairly easily add books after work,and not have to spend time figuring things out then!
It's maybe good being disabled for a couple of weeks! Keeps me busy doing some fun things!

Also I gotten to the footnotes-thing.
I've taken a lot of time learning some more detailed functions on BookDesigner, but I don't really get what the point is in selecting footnotes.
In the first version here online I selected footnotes as annotations.
Now I can select them as footnotes, but they appear just like before linking to somewhere in the document.
I don't really understand yet how to make them link down,and disappear of the text.

If someone can help me in explaining how to do that, I'll update the footnotes by tomorrow if everything goes alright...

Unfortunately my BD crashed (again), so I'll leave v2 for tomorrow!

Like this (with the TOC and extra pictures) the book is already pretty useful,
and I gained some knowledge redoing the same book about 5 or 6 times .

Last edited by ProDigit; 11-25-2008 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:55 AM   #13
Patricia
Reader

About the footnotes:
If you like linked footnotes, then, when you are editing the text, physically move the footnotes to the end of the book, the end of the chapter, or wherever else you want them. Number each note.
Then use "Notes and Links" in the edit menu. Highlight each footnote number in the main text and make it a note. Then go to the footnotes and link each one to the revelant note, by selecting each one as a link.
There are detailed instructions in Harryt's BD tutorial.

You'll find out whether the book cleaner files work, when you load your next book. It's too late for this one.

I'm puzzled that BD isn't saving your work properly. When I load a book into BD I make a Book Designer book almost immediately. (Under "make ebooks", select "Book Designer book". Then, every time you click on "save" it has something to save to.)
There are other ways of achieving the same thing, but this works well for me.

I hope this helps. Good luck with the book.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:04 PM   #14
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Update available. The file attached is the first official version.
It has the same name as the file before, but it is a newer version.

Other file formats will become available soon!

Enjoy.

Tags
christianity