Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
twedigteam
Enthusiast
twedigteam began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader
Can a toc.ncx point to an empty content tag?

To simplify:

Curious if anyone knows a way to get a TOC to have a top-level header point to an empty link? I've tried using <content src="" /> and <content src="#" /> but neither seem to not want to validate via EPUBCheck. I'm trying to make a nested list in the nav TOC, but there is no actual page for the header.

Example:
List Title [empty, no link]
List Item 1 [links to page]
List Item 2 [links to page]
List Item 3 [links to page]
Or is it just possible that it is a requirement of the toc.ncx to have the <content> pointing somewhere in the manifest?

THANKS!!!
twedigteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:56 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
IMHO, there's no point in having TOC entries that go nowhere. If you still want to keep them, why don't you use the id of the item immediately following the title?
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
twedigteam
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
IMHO, there's no point in having TOC entries that go nowhere. If you still want to keep them, why don't you use the id of the item immediately following the title?
I agree completely, which is why I've never run into this before. The TOC entries I have nested are not in logical order in the book, therefore there isn't any type of top-level heading/title for the list. On thinking about it more, I'll take your advice! Cheers and thanks.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:43 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Maybe what you need is not a TOC entry, but a <navList> element. Unfortunately, I know of no reading system that supports <navList>
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:28 AM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
What if you just leave out the <content>?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
twedigteam
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
What if you just leave out the <content>?
Hmm, good suggestion, thought that might work but it produces: 'element "navPoint" not allowed yet; missing required element "content"' as an error.

Oh well, I suppose these types of issues will probably be rendered moot on moving to EPUB3 and the nav document.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by twedigteam View Post
Hmm, good suggestion, thought that might work but it produces: 'element "navPoint" not allowed yet; missing required element "content"' as an error.

Oh well, I suppose these types of issues will probably be rendered moot on moving to EPUB3 and the nav document.
I've figured out the solution. For the entry that you want as a header for the top level, put in the same file to go to as the first entry in the next level. That way if anyone does use it to go to a ToC entry, it will go to the first one in level 2. So using your example...

Example:
List Title [links to same page as item 1]
List Item 1 [links to page]
List Item 2 [links to page]
List Item 3 [links to page]
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #8
twedigteam
Enthusiast

Cheers, thanks for all the help on this one. That seems to be about as close as we can get to a solution. Interested to see what EPUB3 does for the <nav> document.