Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 12:57 AM   #511
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Using the volume rocker for scrolling/page turns sounds very Windows-ish -- reminds me of the old PDA days with Windows Mobile on it. While Windows Mobile was awful, Mobipocket Reader was great, and I think it allowed the user to employ volume controls in exactly this way, which I found very useful. It's often a lot handier to flip pages in this way than having to touch the screen every time. Given Apple's dislike of hardware buttons, however, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple blocked this type of functionality on iOS devices.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:15 AM   #512
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
I've been reading around and it is not clear to me whether Apple will be happy if I do this. In fact, I get the impression that they won't (I'll get rejected). Even camera apps are on thin ice. I think this is only acceptable in camera apps where it's used judiciously.

I'll phone Apple dev support and ask but I'm not expecting to get an answer. In the past, the people on the other side of the phone seemed to be uncomfortable committing and giving a straight yes/no answer.
Advert
Old 01-07-2013, 07:29 AM   #513
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
If I remember correctly, the old mobipocket reader let you assign different functions to different buttons - "Key-mapping" as well as auto-scroll.

That's one of the nice things about an OS that doesn't stifle the user just for the sake of "making everything work"!! lol

But I agree with Kris - I don't think Apple will allow it. They like swiping, it's worked so far, and there's no reason for them to change......

Old 01-07-2013, 08:02 AM   #514
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
If I remember correctly, the old mobipocket reader let you assign different functions to different buttons - "Key-mapping" as well as auto-scroll.
That's correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
That's one of the nice things about an OS that doesn't stifle the user just for the sake of "making everything work"!! lol
On the other hand, Windows Mobile in many situations turned out to be the OS where "nothing really works the way it's supposed to work". From among the 2 extremes, I'd choose Apple's restrictive way any day. Using (rather, trying to use) Microsoft's ActiveSync was a perpetual nightmare that will stay with me as long as I live. That ugly sound telling you that the sync failed (and it almost always failed), without giving you any hint as to why it failed, or what could be done to resolve the situation... pure inferno!

Last edited by Faterson; 01-07-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:07 AM   #515
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
I'm not sure Apple let me do this. I'll check.
I'm pretty sure I've read of at least one app being blocked for 'mis-using' the volume rocker.
Advert
Old 01-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #516
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Legend has it that Camera+ was blocked and consequently tap tap tap (the guys who build it) were banned for about 3 months from the App Store. Later, when Apple themselves added the volume button to snap pictures in iOS 5 they relaxed on camera apps. Now it seems that some camera app developers are receiving removal notices again. I don't have any hard evidence but this is what I found after a look around.

I'd rather not risk it.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #517
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Moon+ Reader on android uses the volume buttons for page turns an auto-scroll speed. It's a nice feature that would be great in Marvin, but I would not be surprised if Apple disallows it.

I'm itching for Marvin to get autoscroll so I can go back to reading on my iPad, but it's going to make me want an iPad mini!
Old 01-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #518
kguil
Addict

Start saving I'm working on vertical and autoscroll now.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #519
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
Start saving I'm working on vertical and autoscroll now.
Yipee skippie!
Old 01-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #520
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
On layout in the beta:

Books made of only image files, (mostly comics converted to ePub), do not use as much of the screen as they should.

See attached image.

Could you put on your list to expand the image display to use more of the screen?

Just started using the beta, do you want reports here or by email to the support address?

Art
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1357583333.884535.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	224.0 KB
ID:	98974  
Old 01-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #521
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When selecting book info from the library view, if the description contains HTML, the result are ugly. See attached image.

I think Calibre pretty much imports HTML descriptions by default.

Looks ok though, when the book info is seen from within the book by tapping the top bar.

Cheers

Art
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1357585458.873006.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	98981  

Last edited by artbatista; 01-07-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #522
artbatista
Groupie

Love, I said I love! the pinch to change themes.

Just brilliant!

Cheers

Art
Old 01-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #523
artbatista
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbatista View Post
When selecting book info from the library view, if the description contains HTML, the result are ugly. See attached image.

I think Calibre pretty much imports HTML descriptions by default.

Looks ok though, when the book info is seen from within the book by tapping the top bar.

Cheers

Art
Forgot the second pic, attached...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1357586619.563835.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	98983   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1357586632.007289.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	98984  
Old 01-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #524
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
We're still a few weeks out on a version without superfluous paragraph linebreaks, right? (I want to switch so badly, but apparently not badly enough to figure out how to copy/paste my UUID out of itunes and beg for a beta slot. Yes, I have no one to blame but myself.)
Old 01-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #525
artbatista
Groupie

After downloading a couple of dozen books from my OPDS server, I am wishing Marvin had some kind of download que system, so I don't have to wait for each book to download before moving back to the catalog.

Some of my books are in 20-30 mb range, so the wait can be long.

I don't actually like the multiple, parallel downloads in Stanza, always found them too unreliable, but my idea is that when I tap to download a book, it actually goes on a list, and Marvin then has a worker thread that gets them and imports them one at a time.

Should be allowed by Apple, a number of apps, including Stanza already do this.

Cheers

Art
Closed Thread