Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-14-2012, 11:57 AM   #1
hollowayhouse
hollowayhouse began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Box sets, Lead TOC, embedded TOC

In today's latest push of Box Sets of eBooks, a somewhat new need has arisen: multiple TOCs.

I have a box set I'd like to convert to mobi and epub, but I want to have TWO tables of contents: One at the front that just lists the three books titles (allowing reader to click on one and be moved to the first page of that book. THEN, the embedded TOC the reader accesses via Kindle's "GO TO" button.

I cannot find a way to create TWO TOCs. I then thought maybe I could code each of the book titles to link to their TOC location or even to the title page of that book, but I that's outside my skill set.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
hollowayhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowayhouse View Post
In today's latest push of Box Sets of eBooks, a somewhat new need has arisen: multiple TOCs.

I have a box set I'd like to convert to mobi and epub, but I want to have TWO tables of contents: One at the front that just lists the three books titles (allowing reader to click on one and be moved to the first page of that book. THEN, the embedded TOC the reader accesses via Kindle's "GO TO" button.

I cannot find a way to create TWO TOCs. I then thought maybe I could code each of the book titles to link to their TOC location or even to the title page of that book, but I that's outside my skill set.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
ePub can do what you want with just ONE ToC. The NCX ToC of ePub allows multiple levels. So you can do it all from there nice and neatly. No need for internal ToC for the ePub.

In the Mobi, you can create the linked ToC and then have that jump to the ToC for each book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
hollowayhouse
hollowayhouse began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
JS,
Thanks for replying to my post. Sounds like a solution, but how do I go about doing what you suggested?

I tried creating internal links in my Word file before exporting it as html for import into Calibre, but when they convert, they don't work.

Any directions or pointing me to where I can find directions would be really appreciated.
hollowayhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I suggest moving this to the Sigil forum as you can use Sigil to do what you want with the ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:39 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/conv...le-of-contents
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #6
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowayhouse View Post
JS,
Thanks for replying to my post. Sounds like a solution, but how do I go about doing what you suggested?

I tried creating internal links in my Word file before exporting it as html for import into Calibre, but when they convert, they don't work.

Any directions or pointing me to where I can find directions would be really appreciated.
If all you want to do is edit toc then you can use epubfixer its a great tool for managing the Toc in epubs.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=117809
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
box sets, kindle, multiple tocs, toc