Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #46
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Today I was using my browser when it suddenly froze. The home button wouldn't even refresh the eink. All of a sudden the browser went fullscreen, not black bar on the top. Then in clear eink text the message "collecting information, will reboot when done" was shown. After a few seconds, the framework restarted. I went to device info and I saw 5.1.1. BUT after a reboot it went back to 5.1.0!
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #47
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Nice (irony)... A firmware that changes it mind about what version it wants to be, halfway through the install...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #48
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya3098 View Post
Today I was using my browser when it suddenly froze. The home button wouldn't even refresh the eink. All of a sudden the browser went fullscreen, not black bar on the top. Then in clear eink text the message "collecting information, will reboot when done" was shown. After a few seconds, the framework restarted. I went to device info and I saw 5.1.1. BUT after a reboot it went back to 5.1.0!
do you have an /etc/version.txt
or something similar?

What does it have to say (it will have a firmware build date in it)?
Just "cat" it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:50 AM   #49
wildsprite
wildsprite began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
its sounding like Amazon screwed up with 5.1.0 to me, either that or someone in R&D for Amazon keeps trying to sneak out version 5.1.1
wildsprite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #50
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsprite View Post
its sounding like Amazon screwed up with 5.1.0 to me, either that or someone in R&D for Amazon keeps trying to sneak out version 5.1.1
Shortly after 5.1.0 was released, there were a lot of posts that said almost the same thing, except "s/screwed up/screwed the pooch/g".
Advert
Old 06-22-2012, 10:59 AM   #51
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Code:
aditya@aditya-desktop:~$ ssh root@192.168.1.5
root@192.168.1.5's password: 
sh: /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth: not found
[root@kindle root]# cat /etc/version.txt
System Software Version: 049-juno_2_yoshi-155776
Wed Apr  4 20:45:43 PDT 2012
[root@kindle root]#
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #52
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya3098 View Post
Code:
aditya@aditya-desktop:~$ ssh root@192.168.1.5
root@192.168.1.5's password: 
sh: /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth: not found
[root@kindle root]# cat /etc/version.txt
System Software Version: 049-juno_2_yoshi-155776
Wed Apr  4 20:45:43 PDT 2012
[root@kindle root]#
Ah, so, a build code and date.

Now, I guess we need to start collecting those somewhere (a Wiki page) - Once we have enough of them, we should be able to list the changes / problems with each.

Oh, and /etc/prettyversion.txt should have the "public" software version info.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:35 PM   #53
Alb
Alb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle TOUCH, firmware 5.1.1
First of all: sorry, sorry, sorry for my very poor and incorrect english.

Someone speaks spanish to talk to me?

Ok.

I´m from Spain and I have a new Kindle TOUCH with firmware: 5.1.1. [I bought this 7 days ago.]

How I go back to 5.1.0 version? It's possible?

I installed correctly the fonthack but it does't run with this version (5.1.1).

I also installed correctly the jailbreak but it is only an image with this version (5.1.1).

How can I fix it?

Sorry again and thank you.

PS: I write in spanish about this problem on (in?) another forum. Here: http://forokd.com/showthread.php/320...7431#post57431

Last edited by Alb; 06-24-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Alb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:27 AM   #54
jakobim
Enthusiast
jakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Touch
Hello people,

I'm the same as Alb, I got my Kindle Touch on monday also with 5.1.1 out of the box. The only difference is that I'm from Germany.
So I basically have the same questions as Alb: There is no way to jailbreak 5.1.1 as of now, right? Is there any way to downgrade or anything like that? What can I (we?) contribute to pave the way to jailbreak?
What can I hack without a jailbreak? Everything from the "Comprehensive List of Kindle Hacks/Modification" with a "NJ" sign, or does it really only apply to Kindle Keyboard?

Sorry for the many questions, I'm new to this stuff. ^^
Very nice forum, keep it up, people!
jakobim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #55
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Until we get a good look at the changes, we can't really say what has been fixed or not, but we do have some ideas in our sleeves, so don't loose hope

It'd be nice to know if the diags method still works, though . (Check the Kindle Touch Hacking wiki page).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-24-2012 at 10:23 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:10 AM   #56
geekmaster

We need copies of the main and diags partition and kernel images. There is a "getkernels" script to extract the kernels, and you can use "dd" to copy the firmware images (using the diags data.tar.gz and a special RUNME.sh script). Can somebody supply a script so we can get these images? I do not have time now... Thanks.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:55 PM   #57
Alb

I think the problem is due ONLY to the JAILBREAK that I installed correctly (sure!) yesterday.

Look:

And then:

What do you think?

[Thanks, again.]

Last edited by Alb; 06-24-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #58
geekmaster

Ahh.. That helps. You have a new app that needs one of the custom Java Class Loaders. WHICH one you need is probably documented in the README (or other installation instructions). These instructions are commonly called "The Manual". Any fine app should have one. You should read the one that came with your app that whines about a missing "extra" jailbreak.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:43 PM   #59
Alb

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Ahh.. That helps. You have a new app that needs one of the custom Java Class Loaders. WHICH one you need is probably documented in the README (or other installation instructions). These instructions are commonly called "The Manual". Any fine app should have one. You should read the one that came with your app that whines about a missing "extra" jailbreak.
GREAT!

Well, I read again the README and I found that I need:

Step 3-a. Install the developer certificate bundle from combined-dev-certs-*.zip

But then the problem is: where I can found this file?
Old 06-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #60
Alb

I'm trying again with a jailbreak that I re-downloaded.

Then I go back and tell you the result.