Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 09-13-2010, 09:03 AM   #16
OncTech
Edge User

I'll see what I can do. I pondered about legal issues, and I think it's ok because all I'm doing is going through compiling steps for free software that anyone could do, just that the process seems to be unreliable. This emulation I made is not root access anyway, so it will not enable the illegal duplication of paid software.
Mine's set up on the home machine so this might have to wait until this evening when I can test how to reliably transfer an AVD.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:25 AM   #17
OncTech
Edge User

Well did some testing and it didn't work. When I transfer the AVD to a different machine, it fails to load. I don't totally understand how this works, so maybe someone else can offer some insight.

Advert
Old 09-14-2010, 09:13 AM   #18
borisb
Edge User

The AVD may be keyed to hardware serial numbers, like the hard drive, motherboard or BIOS...

Old 09-24-2010, 07:35 AM   #19
fgruber
Edge User

I tried again last night and now it works! Didn't change anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgruber View Post
I think I'm getting the same issue.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:06 PM   #20
OncTech
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgruber View Post
I tried again last night and now it works! Didn't change anything
It can be finicky sometimes without any apparent reason. Usually closing the AVD and program, they restarting fixes it.

Advert
Old 09-25-2010, 11:41 AM   #21
janvangastel
Edge User

Quote:
Download and install the Android SDK (http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html)
Start it up, and use it to make an AVD (basically, a "phone" to be emulated) using the options for Android 1.6. Make it, but don't start it up. Close the SDK program.
Download this http://www.4shared.com/file/16562474...ed/system.html Or this http://developer.htc.com/google-io-device.html#s3
Either way, get the system.img file. Place this in C:\Documents and Settings\{Your Directory}\.android\avd\{Your AVD name}.avd\
Turn the SDK back on, start your AVD with the "Wipe User Data" checked (turn this off for all subsequent uses).
I downloaded as written above and installed Android 1.6. When I clicked 'Install' in the open window, it started to install Android 2.2. I thought I had to install 1.6, so I stopped it, and clicked install 1.6 in another window. I think it installed, because it said 'installed' after some time. But I can't find it anywhere. In the download folder is an 'Android 4' folder now (which was not there before installing), with some other folders and some files, so maybe this is it??? But how do I open it??? I got a message that Java was not 'in the path' or something' (whatever that will mean), with the advise to place it there. I have no clue about how to proceed now. I hope someone can help me.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:45 PM   #22
OncTech
Edge User

Oh I forgot about that part. The "install" part you speak of is for installing the basic components ("packages") needed for the later task of "building" an AVD. The emulator program automatically checks several components to install (including 2.2) and if you don't want or need them you have the manually uncheck each one. This same screen prompting this install will appear every single time you start up the SDK, but you just click cancel. To make an AVD, change the left side menu to "Virtual Devices" (the one at the very top), and choose "New..." from the right side to start the process of making the AVD.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:13 PM   #23
janvangastel
Edge User

OK OncTech, thanks. I will try again and I will report how it works out.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:52 AM   #24
janvangastel
Edge User

I installed the SDK succesfully now and have made an Android 1.6 AVD. It starts up well. I still have some questions. I also downloaded and installed this program
Quote:
Download this [url]http://www.4shared.com/file/16562474...ed/system.html
. It has installed a program named 4shared desktop in my Program Files folder. I cannot find a 'system.img' (there's none in the shared desktop folder) to place in my 'Jan.avd' folder. Where can I find it?

OK, I found the IMG in the other link in OneTech's message and placed it in the folder. The program starts up, but I encounter two problems:
1. The emulator finds no internet connection (my computer is connected wireless). When I try to find one 'automatically' the emulator says that my simcard does not allow connection. When I try 'search networks', there's an error message.
2. The emulator keeps asking to open the 'slide' keyboard, but There's no way to do this. There's a keyboard on the right half of the emulator, but clicking there has no effect. The instructions say 'click any text field' to slide the keyboard open, but there's no textfield at all.

I already rebooted my computer, but that doesn't help.

Last edited by janvangastel; 09-26-2010 at 03:58 AM. Reason: found img

Old 09-26-2010, 08:12 AM   #25
janvangastel
Edge User

OK, I have been trial and erroring for some hours and solved the above mentioned problem number 2. I have still no clue how to solve the connection problem. I have found the wi-fi settings, but still get the error messages. When I clich 'add another network' nothing happens.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:29 AM   #26
janvangastel
Edge User

I made another AVD, so I have two now. The one without connection to internet and one with connection, but without the MrktBrowser app. So I still can't do anything mopre then browse the internet (which I can do better with my desktop or the Edge). I am sure I must have done something wrong, but I don't know what.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:19 AM   #27
janvangastel
Edge User

before I stop trying to acces the Android market with the emulator: should I do something special, after starting the APK, to connect to the internet?

Old 11-25-2010, 03:42 PM   #28
Scotty
Edge User

I have the same concern with Android market and Google recognition. My work uses Citrix and this device wouldbe great at work. However, I can't get citrix receiver.

Old 11-25-2010, 04:34 PM   #29
borisb
Edge User

Try the following out-of-Market link: http://www.mediafire.com/?1avro1v80fhkeba.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:24 AM   #30
alex_edge
Edge User

I'm sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but I've searched a couple of different ways and this was the only thread that seemed to be relevant, but still doesn't answer my questions. So, I got my Pocket Edge yesterday, and have been having great fun playing around with it and trying to load up my favorite droid apps via alternate methods. The instructions here for creating a phone emulator were very helpful, but I actually have a Motorola Droid, so I've just been using that to back up and upload my favorite apps. Except that I'm running Android 2.2 on my phone, and the Edge runs 1.6 as you all know. I've hunted around quite a bit for a market .apk that I can transfer via dropbox. I've found several (like this one for example: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jx0zo2nwlhu), actually, but every time I try to install it, it fails. I can't figure out if there's something wrong with the app, if I haven't tweaked some setting on the edge I should be tweaking, or if it will never work unless I root the edge or something. Any suggestions would be most helpful. TIA.