Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-16-2010, 10:43 AM   #1
waffleman
Enthusiast
waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: NookColor
MicroSD card

I am going to get a MicroSD card for the Nook Color. I believe the max supported is 32 GB. and it supports MicroSD HD.

I've got about 8 GB of MP3's
I might put a few GB of pictures as well
I plan to subscribe to 1 or 2 magazines eventually (if prices are reasonable - should be cheaper than print version)

Do you think it matters what class card I get for this type of application on the NC? IE, class 4 vs 6
waffleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
I'm using a class 4, 8GB for mine at the moment, and the speed seems to be fine. It plays some reasonably large (1500 bitrate) video files without a problem, which would probably be where the problem would occur if there was one.

I just picked up (3) 16GB class 4 micro-SDHC from Amazon, some strange off-brand, so we'll see how well they work. Right around 30 bucks per 16GB SDHC.
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2010, 11:27 AM   #3
zeroh
Zealot
zeroh doesn't litterzeroh doesn't litter

Device: nook color
Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
I'm using a class 4, 8GB for mine at the moment, and the speed seems to be fine. It plays some reasonably large (1500 bitrate) video files without a problem, which would probably be where the problem would occur if there was one.

I just picked up (3) 16GB class 4 micro-SDHC from Amazon, some strange off-brand, so we'll see how well they work. Right around 30 bucks per 16GB SDHC.
I got the Kingmax 16gb class 10 from Amazon ($50). It works very well with 10Mbps writing.
zeroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
My understanding is that the speed for these things is only important when you load and unload files.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:44 PM   #5
conundrum
Enthusiast
conundrum began at the beginning.

Device: prs-600
i've used microSD in my sony prs600 before and they work fine.
only thing you may find is the cheaper cards tend to be unreliable, plus there have been a rash of counterfeits with overstated capacity that corrupt data when you write more than the actual capacity (often 512MB for a 4GB) Caveat Emptor!

-A
conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2010, 05:49 PM   #6
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
I'm using a class 4 Kingston 16GB with no problems. There are some reasonable prices for them on the interwebs lately.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:07 PM   #7
Ozric
Zealot
Ozric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watch

Device: way too many =)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
I'm using a class 4 Kingston 16GB with no problems. There are some reasonable prices for them on the interwebs lately.
I'm using one of those too. The price was a much better value than a 32GB card and I'm running 2500 kbit movies off it without a hitch.
Ozric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:16 PM   #8
zeroh
Zealot
zeroh doesn't litterzeroh doesn't litter

Device: nook color
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas0039 View Post
My understanding is that the speed for these things is only important when you load and unload files.
you're exactly right. couldn't pass it up for the price.
zeroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:53 AM   #9
conundrum
Enthusiast
conundrum began at the beginning.

Device: prs-600
yeah, the slow cards seem to work fine.
I would mention that some seem to overheat if you copy lots of stuff to them (my experience with the 8GB kingston suggested this)
apparently its a known issue and has been fixed since then.

-A
conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:03 AM   #10
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
If you are going to buy a SD card here is a little tech for you.

1) There are actually two types of Secure Digital (SD) cards: SD and SDHC. SD cards cary in size and go up as high as 1gb only, SDHC the HC stands for High Capacity starts at 2gb and goes on from there. To be able to use the SDHC your device must be able to read the HC format which is different from the SD format. I am pretty certain that all readers can handle HC, but its worth checking.

2) Class referrs to the speed of the card rather than the size of it. The higher the class number the faster the card is. You will find that the higher capacity cards, not only cost more but have lower classes, in other words are slower so you need to find a happy medium between size and speed.

For you I would recommend a 16gb SDHC. Half of the caqrd would go to your MP3s and still have half left over for your ebooks and you do not trade away much in terms of speed. Looks like the best deal for you is Mwave for $16 http://stores.nextag.com/store/47689...shot-sdhc-card
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:02 PM   #11
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
If you are going to buy a SD card here is a little tech for you.

1) There are actually two types of Secure Digital (SD) cards: SD and SDHC. SD cards cary in size and go up as high as 1gb only, SDHC the HC stands for High Capacity starts at 2gb and goes on from there.
According to Newegg and others, the SD cards went up to 2gb. I have an older reader that is SD only, and 2gb SD cards are the upper limit of what I can read.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:25 PM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffleman View Post
I plan to subscribe to 1 or 2 magazines eventually (if prices are reasonable - should be cheaper than print version)
Should be, but not the reality with B&N.
  • Nat Geo: $15 from Zinio and $24 from B&N
  • Pop Science: $12 from Zinio and $36 from B&N
Quite the rip-off if you ask me. I was going to get several magazines for my Color, but not at these outrageous prices.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
memory, microsd