Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
kubrick89
kubrick89 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
[Kindle Touch] 5.1.1 Firmware

Hi all... just recived my new kindle touch and it has 5.1.1 firmware... is it possible to jailbreak it? any hack?

Thanks!
kubrick89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubrick89 View Post
Hi all... just recived my new kindle touch and it has 5.1.1 firmware... is it possible to jailbreak it? any hack?

Thanks!
That is very recent firmware.
Best not to rush into that while folks are still struggling with the 5.1.0 version.

Well,,,
Unless you want to be the first to write up how to un-brick 5.1.1
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2012, 08:35 AM   #3
kubrick89

Eh eh ... well i think i will wait
Old 06-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
They did not publish the 5.1.1 source code yet.

I need a copy of this to compare to the other versions. I suspect that it fixes the recently discovered serious security loophole in 5.1.0 that allowed executing arbitrary code on a kindle touch by visiting a WEB PAGE, which was reported to amazon.

We need to see how this affects our jailbreaks and hacks. We also need to check the main and diags kernels and partitions on this new kindle.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #5
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
I don't know whether to be scared or not...
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #6
kubrick89

So how can i help you? any way to dump system?
Old 06-04-2012, 08:53 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver18 View Post
I don't know whether to be scared or not...
You do have your Kindle firewalled from forced updates, don't you?

This might well be the firmware version that turns the KT into a static picture frame.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:11 AM   #8
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

See if the diags menu still works. Create an ENABLE_DIAGS file on the USB drive (no file extension, so unless you have windows explorer configured to show file extensions, use a command prompt to create this file). Then reboot. If you see a diags menu, you can exit back to main from the exit menu (disable diagnostics).

Please report back here whether or not diags still works.

Thanks.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-04-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #9
kubrick89

OK... diags menu WORKS...
Old 06-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #10
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubrick89 View Post
OK... diags menu WORKS...
Great. It should be safe to try the data.tar.gz and RUNME.sh (with ENABLE_DIAGS) from the "select boot" thread, if you want to. That will tell us if the existing jailbreak method will work. It is linked in the references section of the "simple debricking" sticky first post.

Hopefully, they just fixed the bug that we reported and did not lock down the device. I plan to install the 5.1.1 and new diags partitions and kernels on my kindle to test it...

I can always downgrade to older versions using the simple debricking method.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-04-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
If someone managed to intercept the 'raw' OTA update .bin file before running it, I'd be glad to take a look at it, too .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:43 PM   #12
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hope it will be not like 5.0.1 (which wasn't available for download and OTA updating).
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Apparently, the KF8 update is out for the K4, too.

But, err, I'm getting a 404 error on amazon.com (yes, the homepage... ).

EDIT: Fixed. That was fun . Yep, 4.1.0... (44.1MB >_<")

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-04-2012 at 05:01 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #14
tvjohn
Connoisseur
tvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 3, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Apparently, the KF8 update is out for the K4, too.

But, err, I'm getting a 404 error on amazon.com (yes, the homepage... ).

EDIT: Fixed. That was fun . Yep, 4.1.0... (44.1MB >_<")
Thanks for mentioning that. I've just downloaded it, 46.2M Finder tells me, but it failed to update successfully on its second pass. I think the error code was U006.

I thought it may be a Duokan effect, so removed DK's system folder, but that made no difference.

More investigation.....

I've now reconnected USB & deleted the .bin file, as it's retried the update by itself a couple of times whilst Kindle was unattended!

Last edited by tvjohn; 06-04-2012 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Progress update
tvjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #15
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Oh jeez... I'm glad (??) I have the Wifi turned off right now. I'm probably not going to update until I get the new jbpatch version out and verified it to work with a 5.1.0 backend.

That said: has the remote root vulnerability been fixed? (I hope so). Then, @geekmaster, NiLuJe: is the current jailbreak method still working? (Sorry for not being able to investigate this by myself right now... as said, I'll stick with 5.1.0 because I have to get jbpatch straight.)
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote