Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 03:47 PM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The Hobbit - movie to be done by Del Toro!

Exciting news, another Tolkien movie is waiting for us!

Quote:
The Guardian notes that Guillermo Del Toro has agreed to direct THE HOBBIT. Yay! This is much much better than some of the earlier names that were being thrown about, once it was clear Peter Jackson was not handling (he's still producing). I loved THE LABYRINTH, and Del Toro is clearly a fan of sf/f, so this could be a great match.
Eos Books
Old 02-04-2008, 03:58 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Never heard of him or "The Labyrinth", I'm afraid. Should we be excited by this?
Old 02-04-2008, 04:10 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
http://imdb.com/title/tt0457430/

I saw it. Quite a special movie (I am not sure if it's everyone's taste though). Heh, but it won three Oscars!
Old 02-04-2008, 04:12 AM   #4
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
It was called "Pan's Labyrinth" in the UK - good movie!
Old 02-04-2008, 04:43 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
It was called "Pan's Labyrinth" in the UK - good movie!
Thanks - I recognise that title. I didn't see it, but it received "rave" reviews, as I recall.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:33 AM   #6
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
He has a movie currently in the theaters called The Orphanage. It's a ghost story.
He is also working on a movie version of Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:01 AM   #7
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Hm. I wonder how much "interpretation" will be in this version of the Hobbit story. I'd call it the least symbolic of Tolkein's works.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:31 AM   #8
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
He has a movie currently in the theaters called The Orphanage. It's a ghost story.
That movie is not written or directed by Guillermo del Toro. He is only one of the producers.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:06 PM   #9
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
My mistake, sorry.

New Line will be making 2 Hobbit movies. Probably it will be The Hobbit and a movie that connects it with Fellowship of the Ring. I can't imagine splitting The Hobbit itself into 2 movies.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:47 PM   #10
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Too bad the second movie couldn't be just "The Scouring of the Shire." I understand why there wasn't room for that in the LOTR movie, but it's always been one of my favorite parts of the story.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:55 PM   #11
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Too bad the second movie couldn't be just "The Scouring of the Shire." I understand why there wasn't room for that in the LOTR movie, but it's always been one of my favorite parts of the story.
Not enough there to be a full movie. And I believe at least parts of that were filmed for RoTK, but left on the cutting room floor, and are on one of the Director's Cut DVD editions.
______
Dennis
Old 02-04-2008, 04:08 PM   #12
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
New Line will be making 2 Hobbit movies. Probably it will be The Hobbit and a movie that connects it with Fellowship of the Ring. I can't imagine splitting The Hobbit itself into 2 movies.
My understanding is two films: The Hobbit, and another covering the period between The Hobbit and The Fellowship of the Ring, with things like Gollum meeting the Dark Lord, Aragorn's pursuit of Gollum, and Gandalf snooping in Dol Goldur.

That one will be especially interesting, as there is far less text to base it on. Jackson will have to interpolate a great deal and create the dialog from whole cloth. (One of the things that impressed me about LoTR is how much of Tolkien's dialog Jackson was able to leave in.) My first question when I heard Jackson was to exec produce wasn't "Who will direct" but "Who will write the screenplay?"
______
Dennis
Old 02-04-2008, 05:03 PM   #13
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
My understanding is two films: The Hobbit, and another covering the period between The Hobbit and The Fellowship of the Ring, with things like Gollum meeting the Dark Lord, Aragorn's pursuit of Gollum, and Gandalf snooping in Dol Goldur.

That one will be especially interesting, as there is far less text to base it on. Jackson will have to interpolate a great deal and create the dialog from whole cloth. (One of the things that impressed me about LoTR is how much of Tolkien's dialog Jackson was able to leave in.) My first question when I heard Jackson was to exec produce wasn't "Who will direct" but "Who will write the screenplay?"
______
Dennis
Old 02-07-2008, 01:27 PM   #14
jackbrown
Enthusiast
jackbrown began at the beginning.

This is great news. Del Toro also made a great movie called "The Devil's Backbone," kind of a ghost story set in an orphanage during the Spanish Civil War. As good as Pan's Labyrinth I think, though both are great movies. I think he's a better director than Peter Jackson actually; not only that but somebody who knows how to incorporate visual effects without letting them overpower the film. This news makes me very very very excited about the Hobbit movie.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:57 AM   #15
spooky69
Stats:
spooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505
I'm glad that Peter Jackson won't be directing this one as I don't think he did a very good job with the pacing of the LoTR trilogy (for 9 hours of movie, I still felt like I was being constantly pushed from one scene to the next). Guillermo Del Toro seems like a good choice to take on this project, and this gives me an excuse to re-read The Hobbit!
Closed Thread