Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-06-2010, 06:46 AM   #1
snlu178
snlu178 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-900
Sony Reader Library & Win 7

So having reviewed many forums it seems that the 3.1 issues are not resolved.

I have Win 7 64bit. Installed Reader Library 3.1

I, along with many others, install the software and attempt to load it. It runs in the Task Manager but does not show.

When I add to Data Execution Prevention, no results.
When I run in Vista or XP compatibility, no results.

I have network drives running, that is the cause of my issue.

If I close the Workstation service & Computer Browser service the software opens but internet access is turned off, so no store.

I am looking for suggestions for a fix. I will not change from networked drives, as I store all info on my NAS.

And before you say it, I want the Sony Library for the Store to shop Google Books (as an aside, wouldnt it be great if another well known library software did this?).

Any help would be fantastic. Thanks.
snlu178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:53 AM   #2
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
I had the same issue (Win 7 64 bit). Try running it in Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode + Administrator (elevated) privileges. Mine was also "hanging" for a while in the Task Manager, but eventually it came through.
You'll also want to edit your firewall to allow the program to access the internet. I don't know if this last bit solved the problem, but that's what I did and now the program works.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2010, 09:11 AM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

I finally got it to run in my Win 7 64bit Home Premium, but it is undoubtedly the worst piece of software I've ever seen. The interface is horrible looking, slow, and the program code is the worst. The only times I've ever had a bluescreen of death in Win 7 have come when Sony Reader is running. I almost wonder if their programmers took their work home with them and let their 8-year-olds do it for them! And why the heck does it keep downloading two of almost every book?!?
Old 02-06-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I finally got it to run in my Win 7 64bit Home Premium, but it is undoubtedly the worst piece of software I've ever seen. The interface is horrible looking, slow, and the program code is the worst. The only times I've ever had a bluescreen of death in Win 7 have come when Sony Reader is running. I almost wonder if their programmers took their work home with them and let their 8-year-olds do it for them! And why the heck does it keep downloading two of almost every book?!?
Make sure you're not using the sync feature.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:11 AM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I have 64-bit Win7 Pro. I recall it took 4 installs (from the downloaded install file) and a reboot to get it working but I didn't have to change the compatibility. I don't like the software so I've actually renamed the .exe file so that it doesn't open when I connect my 505. I only use it to download freebies from the Sony store (which go straight into Calibre).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2010, 02:32 PM   #6
snlu178

thanks @m-reader I tried that out but still no luck.

My issue has to do with the reader software not working when you have network drives linked to the computer.

Any other ideas out there???

Or perhaps other ways to browse the Google Books and purchase them the way Sony does.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:55 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Make sure you're not using the sync feature.
I never use the Sync feature. It would be nice if it did work as I have two Sony Readers, but I'm not adventurous or patient enough to try it. ;-)

Mostly I use it to download purchased books. I normally just copy the book to an SD card rather than use the reader software to transfer them to the 900, but I have to use the Reader Software with my 300. I thought about selling the 300 since I rarely use it since I got the 900, but the 300 will make a good travel companion due to its small size.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:48 PM   #8
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by snlu178 View Post
thanks @m-reader I tried that out but still no luck.

My issue has to do with the reader software not working when you have network drives linked to the computer.

Any other ideas out there???

Or perhaps other ways to browse the Google Books and purchase them the way Sony does.
I don't have any more ideas for the Reader Library software problem. Hopefully, someone will have another idea or two to try.

Google books can be viewed online at http://books.google.com/?utm_source=createcontent&utm_medium=link&utm_cont ent=booksearch&utm_campaign=en.

If you are looking to get public domain or CC books we have a large free library on MR, and you can check on feedbooks.com, manybooks.net, and http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page.

There are Ebook Price Comparison Sites listed in the MR Wiki to try when you are looking for a book to purchase.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:31 PM   #9
erasure25
Connoisseur
erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950; PRS-505
Are you sure it's the network drives that are causing the problem? I had this same issue, but for me it was due to one of my ebooks somehow corrupting the library database. I had to delete the library index file and then the program would open up. Then, I had to reload my books into the library (which recreates the index file), being careful not to load the offending book.
erasure25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:36 PM   #10
snlu178

that would of course require me to have ever been able to open the sony reader library software in the first place.

Yes I am sure it is the network drives. It is documented elsewhere that this is a problem with the software, it does not play well with network drives, and will only open if you disconnect the drives which is my experience.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:36 AM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

When I first updated my desktop to Win 7 from Vista I had a Wifi adapter for which no Win 7 driver was available. Before I replaced the WiFi adapter with one that had a compatible driver, the Reader software would not work. It kept crashing my PC. Afterward correcting the WiFi adapter/driver problem the Reader software works, but it is still flaky on occasion. At any rate, Win 7 seems to have major issues with networking, so make sure you have the latest drivers for your PC's WiFi adapter and/or Ethernet adapter.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:51 AM   #12
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
weird. i run mine in windows 7 64 bit professional and have never had a problem, seriously. i've never set compatibility modes either. it launches fast and runs just fine, i can download books from sony, upload books to my reader, and check out adept protected books from my library.

maybe all the tweaking has thrown a monkey wrench into other people's installations? try removing the software entirely and reinstalling and see where you go from there?
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:36 AM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
weird. i run mine in windows 7 64 bit professional and have never had a problem, seriously. i've never set compatibility modes either. it launches fast and runs just fine, i can download books from sony, upload books to my reader, and check out adept protected books from my library.

maybe all the tweaking has thrown a monkey wrench into other people's installations? try removing the software entirely and reinstalling and see where you go from there?
It rarely is useful to hear that other people's set up works. I'm glad yours does, but that does NOT exonerate Sony for creating such terrible software, nor does it help other people with their installations. Between Win 7 having network driver issues and Sony Reader software being total garbage, there are going to be PC installations that won't work regardless of whether they were tweaked or are standard. Mine is standard and not tweaked. No two PCs are the same. They have different hardware, drivers, software, etc. That is the nature of an open system where we can choose our hardware and software. So quite frankly I don't give a hoot if your system works because it is not indicative of all other systems.

Last edited by jswinden; 02-09-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:26 PM   #14
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
well that's exactly the point. do you think sony can anticipate every system configuration and configure for it? blame your copy of windows and microsoft then. maybe you should go to the mac platform where things are more tightly controlled and variances are far less.

that my system works is proof that some systems out there work. and to be honest, my system is pretty tweaked. it seems to work fine with my setup. you're the one with the problem, maybe you should start looking at your box.

and a side note. drop the attitude, i was trying to help you. i won't make that mistake twice.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:14 PM   #15
snlu178

@scottjl - do you have network drives or a NAS drive that you connect to?

I have found that this is the culprit. A Network Drive conflicts with Sony's software. It is deeper than that because it is the services that let network drives exist. If I turn those off, Sony software works (but not store, because the internet is turned off).

This is not a Win 7 issue, it is a Sony issue. They have some protocol they are using to run the store that conflicts with networked drives.

I know I can get all the sony stuff elsewhere, but truly they have the best store for Google Books so far.