Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 10-18-2009, 01:26 AM   #1
ssophon
Enthusiast
ssophon began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Thai font, firmware, and Dictionary

Hi I am new in here and just got EZ Reader for about a week. And having the following questions below. If someone could help answer these questions it would really appeciated.

1) I have problems with the reader due to I really want to be able to read my ebook of my own langauage (Thai). Does anyone know how can I display and be able to read ebook and display Thai font properly in EZ Reader 6"?

2) Can I use other brand firmware (Such as CyBook, BeBook, etc.) to update my EZ Reader because I heard that some other brand firmware has the dictionary and dictionary lookup build-in? I even see some posted in HanLin section (New unofficial LBook firmware - for testing. Lots of features!), which I believe it is a EZ Reader's twin, talking about new fearue that I am interested.

3) Does anybody know where I get my EZ Reader to have dictionary. Right now I am having a problem that I need to carrier both dictionary and EZ Reader because my English is still not so strong.

Ok, thank you very much.
ssophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:44 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
All Hanlin V3 firmware's will work on the EZ Reader Basic. The one that is most different from the EZ Reader standard version (and therefore the one that is most worth trying) is LBook. I think it has dictionary lookup at least for some formats (e.g. FB2). I don't know if it supports Thai.

In ePub, you can provide your own fonts if you are willing to modify the ePub, e.g. with Calibre (so it has to be DRM-free). See Fonts and Epub - What works on Sony, Works for Pocket Pro too!

The other option is OpenInkPot (release candidate 0.2-rc1). It uses FBReader as its primary Reader (it also has CoolReader3), and you can try this on a Desktop machine to see if it is likely to work for your ebooks. Since it changes the filesystem type for the internal memory, switching back to a standard firmware is a bit more involved if you try OpenInkPot and don't like it. Also, make sure you backup the internale memory before installing OpenInkPot.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2009, 01:59 AM   #3
ssophon
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
All Hanlin V3 firmware's will work on the EZ Reader Basic. The one that is most different from the EZ Reader standard version (and therefore the one that is most worth trying) is LBook. I think it has dictionary lookup at least for some formats (e.g. FB2). I don't know if it supports Thai.

In ePub, you can provide your own fonts if you are willing to modify the ePub, e.g. with Calibre (so it has to be DRM-free). See Fonts and Epub - What works on Sony, Works for Pocket Pro too!
I will try

The other option is OpenInkPot (release candidate 0.2-rc1). It uses FBReader as its primary Reader (it also has CoolReader3), and you can try this on a Desktop machine to see if it is likely to work for your ebooks. Since it changes the filesystem type for the internal memory, switching back to a standard firmware is a bit more involved if you try OpenInkPot and don't like it. Also, make sure you backup the internale memory before installing OpenInkPot.
First of all, thank you very much for very quick response.

For dictionary, I don't mind if it is an English dictionary. At least I have some dictionary that I can use when I need. Will this firmware includes the dictionary data or I do need to find out extra dictionary to work with the firmware? If you have any link that I can go check could you please also post it.

Second, will the firmware of this link works on EZ Reader https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...official+LBook

Wow, it seems that there is a lot to learn for me because I have no idea about what you said in this section. Anyway, let I spend sometime on it.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:30 AM   #4
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
1. You can read any PDF/EPUB with Thai on any Firmware. Problem occurs only when doing reflow.
2. LBook uses Coolreader and it has dictionary look-up support.
3. Mobipocket has DRM Mobi Dictionary (non-thai) but you need older firmware. Other Dictionary PDF can be illegally downloaded from internet.

Yannakorn Firmware is modified from Beta Jinke (Thai support) and Lbook with CR3 that support both thai function and Stardict(NECTEC version) dictionary. It is still in beta version.
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:15 AM   #5
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I really like ezreader pp; but no Thai language support and no dict lookup are gripe for me. How soon it will be out of beta?

If I have PP ordered from US, can I use Yannakorn next firmware to update it? Yannakorn price in Thailand seems a bit more expensive than the US version.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
ssophon
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by keng2000 View Post
1. You can read any PDF/EPUB with Thai on any Firmware. Problem occurs only when doing reflow.
2. LBook uses Coolreader and it has dictionary look-up support.
3. Mobipocket has DRM Mobi Dictionary (non-thai) but you need older firmware. Other Dictionary PDF can be illegally downloaded from internet.

Yannakorn Firmware is modified from Beta Jinke (Thai support) and Lbook with CR3 that support both thai function and Stardict(NECTEC version) dictionary. It is still in beta version.
Thanks for an info.

By the way, does LBook require an additional Dictionay file or it already build-in?

Could you explain a little bit how it work? Like, if we have some word that I don't understand how can I point to that word and lookup for the meaning. Because in Sony PRS-600 I just tab on that word and then the dictionary will show up but since EZReader does not have a touch screen how do I search the meaning of the word in the dictionary?

Is it possible to lookup the word while I am reading another ebook or do I have to close and go to the dictionary? The reason that I asked is because I had one ebook dictiaonary but it is huge (13M), every time I try to open it my EZ reader almost stop working (Extremely slow).

For the Yannakorn firmware, what if after I install this firmware and I want to go back to the original firmware, can I do that? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:20 PM   #7
keng2000
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

v5 is stiil in development state.
v6 is already on products starting on Book Fairs 17 Oct 2009

it is the same structure as the other firmwares, you can go backward and forward.
CR3 has a features for dictionary search with FB2, TXT, RTF format. also external dictionary on SD.
The price is reasonable around ASIAN country who have a little Book reader but it comes with local language support and membership such as Thai book purchasing (and for customer only)

Search to the forum, you can find how to build the dictionaary, for CR3 or for MOBI format with links.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:19 PM   #8
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Khun Keng2000...

Thanks for the useful information

1. Could you share how the Thai support works in more detail? (hyphenation, correct word wrap, etc..)
2. I mostly read MOBI, could your Yannakorn support dictionary lookup inside the prc-format book(Eng-Eng, or Eng-Thai)?
3. How is the Thai support in Yannakorn different from Pocketbook 301+? (see the thread here -> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58606 )
4. I have some Thai pdf document which I would like to convert it to mobi/prc. Mobipocket desktop and Calibre did the conversion for me; but Thai characters become garbage and unreadble. Do you have any suggestion on any other conversion tools?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by bthoven; 10-18-2009 at 11:37 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:02 AM   #9
ssophon
Enthusiast

Thanks K. Keng2000. I will try to search forum and test on dictionary.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:05 AM   #10
keng2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven View Post
Khun Keng2000...

Thanks for the useful information

1. Could you share how the Thai support works in more detail? (hyphenation, correct word wrap, etc..)
2. I mostly read MOBI, could your Yannakorn support dictionary lookup inside the prc-format book(Eng-Eng, or Eng-Thai)?
3. How is the Thai support in Yannakorn different from Pocketbook 301+? (see the thread here -> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58606 )
4. I have some Thai pdf document which I would like to convert it to mobi/prc. Mobipocket desktop and Calibre did the conversion for me; but Thai characters become garbage and unreadble. Do you have any suggestion on any other conversion tools?

Thanks a lot.
1. Localization, for menu, file name, CR3 Dictionary/Search with Thai virtual keyboard , Beta: EPUB viewer (not adobe) will support for Thai reflow. Adobe search with Thai
2. As i know, No built-in dictionary for MOBI, only FB, CR. But Mobi support links, https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=webster+1913
3. Wait for picture...
4. Limitation is on Mobipocket device, It is strange response for Thai Mobi file, I use Calibre with TIS-620. My recommendation is not to use Thai with MOBI because output is awful. I can't do anything on MOBI viewer. Text format open with CR3 is nicer.

Your questions are good for me to prepare the screenshot, Let me take a while and will display them.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:35 AM   #11
bthoven
Evangelist

Thanks Keng2000.

May I rephrase what you say in order to make it clear for me.

For mobi ebook, I can have a lookup dictionary if I install the mentioned webster 1913 on the SD card?

So if I convert Thai-content pdf file to rtf format, would it be better? I will also get the dictionary lookup?

The main reason of reading mobi is because I use Mobipocket desktop to retrieve full-content enews (+ photos in the news, if any) and copy them to my device (it is iPhone 3G + Kindle app) for offline reading. It is the most convenient/completed tools (also try Calibre, but very slow). So it is one of the most important deciding factor in choosing an ebook reader, apart from dictionary support.

The pdf reflow for Thai content would be very nice; if working, it would be the first device in the market which support Thai reflow. Excellent softwar like GoodReader app on iPhone which handles pdf file very well still cannot display Thai in reflow mode.

Thai keyboard is also a nice addition. Thai menu is of less important to me; but would be great for typical Thai or Thai students.

Thanks again for your information and looking forwards to seeing the screen dump.

Last edited by bthoven; 10-19-2009 at 03:40 AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:38 AM   #12
bthoven
Evangelist

Hi,

Another question, does the Yannakorn 5 has dictionary lookup function? and which ebook formats that supports the dictionary?

Thanks
Old 10-22-2009, 11:11 AM   #13
keng2000

As far as I check it, No Dictionary look up support for any eReader.
The best way to do with your DRM-MOBI is De-DRM it, convert to other format that support look up dictionary.
I am still busy on Book Fair until this sunday, Please wait for screen dump.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:43 PM   #14
bthoven
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by keng2000 View Post
As far as I check it, No Dictionary look up support for any eReader.
The best way to do with your DRM-MOBI is De-DRM it, convert to other format that support look up dictionary.
I am still busy on Book Fair until this sunday, Please wait for screen dump.
I went to the Book Fair today hoping to see and play with the ereader; unfortunately, the dictionary salesman told me you were not coming today. Actually I called the office the other day to check whether I can see the device today and had been confirmed.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:31 PM   #15
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Trying to get Thai support for Pocket PRO

Dear All:

I will email direct to the factory and see if they can offer a firmware upgrade to get Thai on the EZ Reader Basic and Pocket PRO.

I cannot promise anything yet but I will try! The Pocket PRO supports almost every other Asian language so it is possible!

Thank you for asking!!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote