Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
eInk previews the next gen

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-18438_7...e-2014-kindle/

David Carnoy at Cnet discusses where eInk is going in the next year or so:

- The Mobius flexible displays
- The spot-color signage displays
- The unnamed "Pearl 2"

Quote:

The long and short of it is that I expect we'll see some incremental improvements to mainstream e-readers this year -- and perhaps some price drops -- but we'll probably have to wait another year or longer before we see flexible display technology come to mainstream e-readers like Kindles, Kobos, Sony Readers, and Nooks (yes, Barnes & Noble has said it's continuing with its e-ink line of Nooks). Images of Sony's PRS-T3 Reader have already leaked online, and design-wise it appears to have the same dimensions as last year's Sony PRS-T2.
With the next e-ink Kindles, I expect to see some slight improvements to the design and some small performance gains, as well even more uniform lighting in the Paperwhite. And we may see an entry-level Kindle priced at $49 ($20 less than its current price). Just how much weight, if any, Amazon can shave off its e-ink Kindles remains unclear. But I know a lot of people who prefer the entry-level Kindle to the Paperwhite because it's lighter (5.98 vs. 7.5 ounces). An ounce and half doesn't seem like a lot of weight, but in a handheld device it's very noticeable.
Imagine a 6-inch e-reader that weighs just 3.5 ounces.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
gamba66
Zealot
gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanvon E920
Quote:
but we'll probably have to wait another year or longer before we see flexible display technology come to mainstream e-readers like Kindles, Kobos, Sony Readers, and Nooks (yes, Barnes & Noble has said it's continuing with its e-ink line of Nooks).
Quote:
Sony has developed a prototype for a 13.3-inch e-reader aimed at the business and education markets and has announced that it will begin selling the product later this year.
So this year or next year?

Anyways, nice article! Theres not too much Info though, I think it is quite clear that the Displays will have a higher resolution.

The really interesting part is about "Pearl 2", which claims to have better contrast and higher resolution, but besides that also reduced ghosting, supposely allowing 100 Page turns without ghosting!

I wonder if there will be any large screen Readers using the new Display ^^ Seems the Sony Slate 13,3 will still be using the first Pearl Display with plastic layer, so it could be possible that we see a release this year.
gamba66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
I know technically the EARL isn't a mainstream reader as such, but it will have the flexible eInk screen for release come August, so we won't be waiting a full year or more for that at any rate.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:47 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
I know technically the EARL isn't a mainstream reader as such, but it will have the flexible eInk screen for release come August, so we won't be waiting a full year or more for that at any rate.
Earl isn't likely to need the sheer volume of screens a Kindle would need.
An advantage of being a niche player.
(Amazon needs millions of screens per year. Even Sony still needs a 100K or so.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Very good article. Just when I was set on buying yet another ereader in the fall

I don't really want a larger screen, the Aura is a tad too large for me, although I currently use it a bit more than the others, probably I have a bad case of lazy eyeballs

Lower weight and/or a 1/2 inch bottom bezel, would have me spending the bucks though.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #6
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
Pearl successor! Finally! Ok, now I'm not going to upgrade in 2013.

I think color e-ink, unless they can radically improve it, will continue to be a non-starter. And I'm not sure that many people find the existing 6" e-ink readers to be too heavy (although some claim they do?) What I want is just higher contrast.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-18438_7...e-2014-kindle/

David Carnoy at Cnet discusses where eInk is going in the next year or so:

- The Mobius flexible displays
- The spot-color signage displays
- The unnamed "Pearl 2"
I was getting ready to post a thread on this, but essentially it covered the same info.

One thing though. In the url above, select and click on the image of the screen. I was greatly impressed!
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote