Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-09-2011, 06:58 PM   #31
Apoc
Connoisseur
Apoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookC with CM7 (eMMC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Doh! I had assumed that it was a different site altogether. Much appreciated!
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:40 PM   #32
Eskarina
Zealot
Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.

Device: NOOKColor (sdCM7), Kindle 4
Aldiko + Calibre content server

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
There never is perfection that will please everyone. After buying both Aldiko and Moon+ I had settled with Aldiko but I was still annoyed with it because I ended up with TWO copies of every book. One by Calibre, the second by Aldiko when it "imported." Now my issue with Mantano is somewhat annoying too but in the end I don't think that it's going to be a deal breaker. I have a better reading experience with it so I will likely buy it too.
Have you tried using Calibre's content server with Aldiko? That solved the problem of having two copies of each book in my nook. Even though my primary reader is cool reader, that's how I now get books into my nook color. If you haven't done it, I strongly suggest you try it.
Eskarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2011, 08:21 PM   #33
Eskarina
Zealot
Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.

For aldiko/calibre novices:

To import your Calibre library books directly from Aldiko:

1) Go to "My Catalogs" on Aldiko, create a new catalog and give it a name.
2) Insert this http://youripaddress:8080/opds in the URL dialog (your ip address should be something like 192.168.1.XX - you'll find it in your computer's network properties).
3) Turn on Calibre's content server, turn on nook's wifi, open Aldiko, tap on your newly created catalog and and...
4) ...Viola! Your entire calibre library arranged by author/title/tags etc.
5) Never transfer ebooks via usb ever again.

I posted these instructions because even though I've been lurking at MR since purchasing my nookcolor, (February of this year) and had read many MR members casually refer to it, it still took me a while to figure out how to set it up and I didn't fully appreciate how awesome it was until I did it.

Here's a couple of threads that helped:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97974
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87589

Last edited by Eskarina; 12-08-2011 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Content server url link
Old 08-09-2011, 09:26 PM   #34
Apoc
Connoisseur
Apoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookC with CM7 (eMMC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskarina View Post
Have you tried using Calibre's content server with Aldiko? That solved the problem of having two copies of each book in my nook. Even though my primary reader is cool reader, that's how I now get books into my nook color. If you haven't done it, I strongly suggest you try it.
No, I haven't! I will try it just to learn something new, but I'm afraid Mantano has already won me over. We'll see how things go. Thank you for the tip!
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:22 PM   #35
Eskarina
Zealot

You're welcome. I really hope it works for you. As for Mantano, I tried it a couple of months ago and really, really liked it but alas, no Calibre content server. Another strike against Mantano was that I couldn't use a background texture other than solid colors. I'd love to find a reader app with the nice publisher's default layout settings of Aldiko/Mantano and the awesome paperback background texture of Cool Reader.

Thanks for the Karma!
Advert
Old 08-10-2011, 12:08 AM   #36
RoninTech
Groupie
RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Nook Colour, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Nexus 7, Nexus 5, Pixel
I took a quick look at Mantano and found that it doesn't recognize many of my epub covers from Calibre content server that Moon has no problems with. I also didn't see my favourite font: DroidSansFallback. So I'll be sticking with moon.
RoninTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:02 AM   #37
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninTech View Post
I took a quick look at Mantano and found that it doesn't recognize many of my epub covers from Calibre content server that Moon has no problems with. I also didn't see my favourite font: DroidSansFallback. So I'll be sticking with moon.
You can add your own fonts.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #38
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
I'm genuinely interested in knowing why someone prefers Moon+ over the most recent release of Mantano. Maybe I've rushed in making the switch, having overlooked something of importance.
I evaluated Mantano a while back, but I forget the exact version. I tried their most recent version, but their license server is not reset so all I can use it for is everything but book reading .

At the time Moon+ inched out ahead with some key features. I'd be interested to see if Mantano has caught up.

Here are the features I find important and features Moon was better at.

* Social post (evernote)
* ODPS support (Calibre online catalog) . Using calibre's tags ans search engine is just too useful.
* No margins support, I can't understand why apps require a min margin.
* TTS control and feature was better on Moon.
* Dictionary integration with colorDict, Fadora, wiki
* Annotations worked better in moon.
* Hyphenation
* Moon had complete control of the layout, the big drawback was that the original layout was comprised.
* Neither have a good image viewer, like the kindle has, where you can zoom into the uncompressed image. However the preview mode of Moon does let one pinch to zoom. Note this is still a horrible workaround, but at lest it's better than nothing.

Last edited by =X=; 08-10-2011 at 09:39 AM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:43 AM   #39
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post

Here are the features I find important and features Moon was better at.

* Social post (evernote) Included (same functionality as Moon+)
* ODPS support (Calibre online catalog) . Using calibre's tags ans search engine is just too useful. Metadata recognition (unsure about ODPS (don't use it))
* No margins support, I can't understand why apps require a min margin.Added
* TTS control and feature was better on Moon. Unsure (dont' use it, but based on the Mantano thread it's been improved)
* Dictionary integration with colorDict, Fadora, wiki Added
* Annotations worked better in moon. Improved (comparable)
* Hyphenation Improved
* Moon had complete control of the layout, the big drawback was that the original layout was comprised Improved (original layout not compromised).
* Neither have a good image viewer, like the kindle has, where you can zoom into the uncompressed image. However the preview mode of Moon does let one pinch to zoom. Note this is still a horrible workaround, but at lest it's better than nothing.
Many of your concerns were addressed in subsequent updates. Some of those were issues for me as well when I first tried it in May. It's unfortunate you can't try it again. Folks are requesting that trials be reset because there have been numerous improvements since initial release. I was able to install the trial app again because I upgraded my ROM (from 7.0.3 Stable to 7.1.0 RC) and wiped cache/data.

I'll add that Moon+ loses major points for not loading the entire book. It also does not accurately display the number of pages in a book. I also started to encounter the bug where the last page of a chapter is repeated when you turn the page.

Last edited by SCION; 08-10-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:08 PM   #40
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Coming from Aldiko, I'm really liking it. Great pdf and great epub, too. One thing I haven't found. When the pages turn, one page slides into another. Pretty, but seems to slow it down. Is there a way around that - I haven't been able to find a setting for it.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:19 PM   #41
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
Coming from Aldiko, I'm really liking it. Great pdf and great epub, too. One thing I haven't found. When the pages turn, one page slides into another. Pretty, but seems to slow it down. Is there a way around that - I haven't been able to find a setting for it.
Yes, I've noticed the same. No setting that I'm aware of. It may be on the list of future improvements. Voice any suggestions in the Mantano thread.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:15 PM   #42
SCION
Séduisant

If you installed Mantano Reader trial over 60 days ago, you can try the app again:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=199
Old 08-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #43
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Many of your concerns were addressed in subsequent updates. Some of those were issues for me as well when I first tried it in May. It's unfortunate you can't try it again. Folks are requesting that trials be reset because there have been numerous improvements since initial release. I was able to install the trial app again because I upgraded my ROM (from 7.0.3 Stable to 7.1.0 RC) and wiped cache/data.

I'll add that Moon+ loses major points for not loading the entire book. It also does not accurately display the number of pages in a book. I also started to encounter the bug where the last page of a chapter is repeated when you turn the page.
It looks like Mantago has gotten a lot better, they've seemed to have resolved most of the issues except for two. $5 isn't much but I didn't want to drop down any money if I knew I would not use the product. It seems it might be worth a shot.

I use calibre because it's a central location where I can keep my books instead of having to to use the file management system on whatever device I'm using, kindle 2, nook, phone. I usually access calibre through a web browser but Moon+'s integration is internal to Moon+'s app. So it feels like the Files are local to my device. Downloading books are instantly imported to Moon+. It's a very nice feature.

Thanks for the reply

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:46 PM   #44
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
...What I don't like, is that a casual slide on the screen may change the size of the font. Annoying. It would be good to have that as an option rather as a "feature." I usually set the font size once and then forget it.

They've responded to your request. Look for it in a future update.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=202
Old 08-10-2011, 01:48 PM   #45
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I like shopping with the B&N Shop Icon....is there a way to go to CM7 and still use that? Or should I stay ManualNootered. I'm now using Mantero as my default reader.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote