Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-21-2010, 10:48 PM   #1
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: SONY PRS505
Sony PRS 950 System Font Mod tutorial

The following link contains the instructions necessary for modding the system font of PRS950.
http://blog.goo.ne.jp/jacktones728/e...a792ac8c7a7412

But it's in Japanese. Can someone translate this for me?

nevermind, I did it myself. Here is the chinese, korean, japan system font firmware

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=112439

Last edited by jessie102; 12-24-2010 at 10:09 AM.
jessie102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:54 AM   #2
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
here you go...

Installing Japanese font

http://translate.google.com/translat...a792ac8c7a7412

They used a reader with the modified firmware describer here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=112294

Last edited by gardenstate; 12-22-2010 at 08:11 AM.
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2010, 04:19 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Here is one i put together a while back.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Adding-Fonts-to-a-Sony-Reader.pdf (381.8 KB, 711 views)
Old 12-24-2010, 07:11 AM   #4
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
Jack,
Would your procedure be different if you used porkupans (boroda) modified firmware for the PRS-950?

thanks.
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:18 AM   #5
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
May I step in?

The method (very well) described by jack is only working with epub's. And will for these also work with porkupans (boroda) modified firmware. There you can also point userStyle.css to the new fonts.
But this fonts are only accessible for epubs!

The thing our asian colleagues are doing, is to remount one or all of the "system-fonts" so the can use the extended UFT-8 characterset of this fonts with the UI.
This fonts will also be used in the BBeB/LRF and RTF/TxT-viewer.
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2010, 11:12 AM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Oh sorry, I misunderstood the question. There are some instructions in English here on the MR site where you can do a swap of the system fonts. (There are I believe three system fonts each used for different situations.) I chose not to go that route so as to be able to choose from any font I installed, but some have done the swapping. I have no idea if either method works with porkupan's (boroda) modified firmware, but my guess is that they do.

Also, the method I documented, but many others developed, was originally for the older Sony Readers (300, 600, and 900). But I've used it on both my 350 and 950 with great success. I think the other method will probably work on the newer models too.

I wish I had a link for you to the other method discussion, but I don't. You can do a search though.

Once again, I want to stress that my document is merely a compulation of the method developed by others and contained in a VERY long thread on this forum. I find threads difficult to follow when they have 10s of pages and so I took all the info, compiled it, tested it, refined it a bit, and wrote it into something I could understand and do. I was a technical writer for 25 years so that comes natural to me.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:31 AM   #7
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: SONY PRS505
There's no need to apologize. Your experience as a technical writer is definitely apparent in the quality of your writing. Very helpful for those that prefer to take the CSS path.
jessie102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:06 AM   #8
lawrence_lau
lawrence_lau began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-950
Thanks to jessie102. I have using your firmware to make my PRS-950 to read CHINESE.
lawrence_lau is offline   Reply With Quote