Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-22-2018, 01:57 AM   #1
drdancm
Enthusiast
drdancm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Frequent Failure of Metadata Downloads

Recently I'm getting various problems with Metadata downloads for Kindle books.

1 Failure to download anything - the book summary is what I very much want.

2 Replacement of correct title with incorrect one which seems to happen mostly or only with Book Series, where the Series name is part of the title.
( I unchecked the Title metadata option in an effort to avoid this problem)

Since I expect it would be helpful to have an example, in order to troubleshoot here is an example:

The Sunbird by Elizabeth Wein
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...w_myk_ro_title

No matches found
The Calibre error message suggest making the search less specific, but I don't know where to do this.

I end up manually copying and pasting the book summary (comments section).

Thanks,

Dan

PS Calibre is one of the 3 top programs that I use every day, which is why I urge everyone to support by donating !
drdancm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:12 AM   #2
drdancm
Enthusiast

Additional titles with same problem:

https://smile.amazon.com/mn/dcw/myx....izabeth%20Wein

https://www.amazon.com/Crash-Burn-St...Crash+and+Burn
Advert
Old 06-22-2018, 02:24 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Post the log from your downloads (click the view log button in the download dialog). Most likely the server is blocking you for too many requests, which you can work around by changing the server from which to download amazon metadata. Use Preferences-Metadata download and configure the amazon download source, changing the server from auto to either bing or amazon itself.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:12 AM   #4
drdancm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Most likely the server is blocking you for too many requests, which you can work around by changing the server from which to download amazon metadata. Use Preferences-Metadata download and configure the amazon download source, changing the server from auto to either bing or amazon itself.
Changing Server from Auto to Amazon, fixed the problem.

Thanks Much !

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-23-2018 at 06:15 AM. Reason: fix quote

Tags
metadata download, no metadata