Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-14-2018, 07:38 PM   #16
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Maria Loranger - something seems to be wrong with permissions, did you reboot after uninstalling calibre 64 bit, cleaning registry etc?

You could try this:
  • Close calibre
  • Make sure you are logged in with admin privileges
  • Delete this folder ==>> C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\calibre 64bit - E-book Management\
Now try installing calibre 64 bit, if it works you can uninstall the 32bit version.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:21 PM   #17
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria Loranger View Post
When I attempted to install Calibre again and I obtained the message :

"The installer has insufficient privileges to modify this file: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\calibre 64bit - E-book Management\calibre 64bit - E-book Management.lnk. "

I have never seen this message before aand I don't know what it means, so I stopped the installation.

- I manually removed all traces of Calbre (Registry, folders)
- I ran a quick anti-virus scan

I downloaded Calibre again rom the same page (https://calibre-ebook.com/download_windows64), attempted to install it and got the same error message ("The installer has insufficient privileges ...). Cancelled the installation.

Downloaded Calibre again, but this time from https://calibre-ebook.com/download_windows (so, I presume, it's 32 but?).
This version installed and loaded the Calibre Library without any problems.

I would appreciate any comments.
Thank you,
ML
The file that could not be changed is the one that shows in the start menu as the link to start calibre. You could go to the directory "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\calibre 64bit - E-book Management\" (copy and paste the path into File Explorer's address bar and delete all the links in there. You'll probably be asked to give administrator priviledges to do this. I'm not sure why you got that message from running the calibre installer since, on my computer, it requests administrator rights as part of the install. Possibly the security on that folder has been modified?

For the most part, you won't notice much difference between the 32 and 64 bit calibre installs unless you start a task that needs a lot of memory (some ebook conversions on my laptop have gone over 12GB of RAM).

Looking at your Where results, I don't show calibre-eject.exe or calibre-launcher.dll in my install directory.

Last edited by DNSB; 07-14-2018 at 09:27 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:34 PM   #18
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria Loranger View Post
I went through the whole procedure of removing Calibre and cleaning.

- I removed existing Calibre (through Programs and Features)
- I ran CCleaner
- I cleaned the Registry (with CCleaner)
- I restarted my laptop
- I downloaded Calibre again (for Windows 10, 64 bit)

When I attempted to install Calibre again and I obtained the message :

"The installer has insufficient privileges to modify this file: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\calibre 64bit - E-book Management\calibre 64bit - E-book Management.lnk. "

I have never seen this message before aand I don't know what it means, so I stopped the installation.

- I manually removed all traces of Calbre (Registry, folders)
- I ran a quick anti-virus scan

I downloaded Calibre again rom the same page (https://calibre-ebook.com/download_windows64), attempted to install it and got the same error message ("The installer has insufficient privileges ...). Cancelled the installation.

Downloaded Calibre again, but this time from https://calibre-ebook.com/download_windows (so, I presume, it's 32 but?).
This version installed and loaded the Calibre Library without any problems.

I would appreciate any comments.
Thank you,
ML
The messages says you do not have Admin (and UAC approval) to install programs.
W10 added a extra level of security in a recent update and blocks any program that has not obtained 'approval' (which is not free ).

Instead of clicking exit (or whatever it really says), there is a (sneaky) 'advanced' link on the Left at the same level. That is where you can whitelist Calibre.

Hint: there is afairly recent MR post somewhere that has the images of the screen that I can't quickly put a link to.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:31 AM   #19
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The messages says you do not have Admin (and UAC approval) to install programs.
W10 added a extra level of security in a recent update and blocks any program that has not obtained 'approval' (which is not free ).

Instead of clicking exit (or whatever it really says), there is a (sneaky) 'advanced' link on the Left at the same level. That is where you can whitelist Calibre.

Hint: there is afairly recent MR post somewhere that has the images of the screen that I can't quickly put a link to.
I'd tend to disagree. It doesn't sound like SmartScreen blocking the install which would catch the install before it started. Instead, my guess would be that the installer either did not have administrator rights or the Start Menu folder has ACL issues.

I've attached a couple of images from a SmartScreen installation popup and the click on more info button.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smartscreen1.png
Views:	146
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	165047   Click image for larger version

Name:	smartscreen2.png
Views:	172
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	165048  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:26 AM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Thanks for posting those screen shots. (I add new stuff so rarely, that it may be months before I would see that screen.

And, Yes, I agree with your diagnosis. Something is wrong with rights or permissions. A locked down, Corporate Computer?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:16 AM   #21
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
... and it's not only the rights and permission thing (what for me was the main problem).

I wonder also about the two files in the calibre folder that have nothing to do there, especially to what was written before about clean-up:
  • On a clean system with CCleaner should not exist program links to non existing apps in a start menu.
  • You should not find on a manual deleted calibre program folder after an installation files, that are not part of an actual calibre install pack.

It's a little bit frustrating. Sorry to say, but resolving an installation problem can't work in that way. And this is the root cause: There was activities around the installation we wasn't told about during our Q&A activities. We are missing answers of our questions (like what permissions have the used user account). Don't manipulate an existing installation without telling us first (because how should someone help if the reported problems are not in line with the installation we was told before?) Each additional request from our side was ending in a new situation on the system. Knowing the hole story is essential for helping and will save a lot of time too.

The best way to help is to start by zero again and not to play around with anything else.
  • Start with an admin user account,
  • uninstall all calibre installations (32-bit,64 bit, mobile versions),
  • check if there are different accounts on the system,
  • check & clean up all existing calibre start menus from different user accounts manually if there are still there
  • in addition check & delete the calibre program folders manually if there are wrong located files left from uninstall.
  • Reboot your system
After finishing this activities use the former downloaded 64-bit installation from Kovid and install calibre. Be patient during the whole installation and report if there is a problem. Wait for our question & answer.
Tell us also if the installation reports a successful installation. Then you can go forward with testing and having fun with your installation.

Last edited by Divingduck; 07-16-2018 at 08:19 AM.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:20 AM   #22
Maria Loranger
Enthusiast
Maria Loranger began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite + Kobo Libra 2
Smile THANK YOU ALL!

Thank you very much for all your suggestions and comments. I learned a lot!
Maria Loranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
metadata download