Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-08-2013, 11:29 PM   #121
piper28
Zealot
piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm one of those with about 800-1000 books on my ereader. I've always thought it kinda strange that people would choose *not* to have most of their books on the e-reader. To me, that's part of the point of having the e-reader in the first place. To me, the idea of keeping only a few titles on it and constantly having to manage that just confuses me. I never quite know what I want to read next.

From this thread though, it appears that opinion is really much more in the minority than I would have expected.

Oh, and one other thing. For me, when I travel, it's not uncommon that getting to the internet is either difficult or not particularly cheap. So I'd far rather not rely on having to have an internet connection to get to my books.
piper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:48 AM   #122
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
With adequate file management software, which wouldn't be hard to program, and enough memory or a SD slot, either of which is inexpensive, I can see no reason NOT to keep all your books on your reader. Having just a few on your home page makes sense but why not have the rest in organized folders so you can easily find the book you want next?

Yes you COULD rely on cloud storage but why would that be preferable especially since the cloud is not always available, not able to be organized in the way that is most convenient to you, may not have all your books if you buy from multiple sources, doesn't have the metadata changes yoy might make for your books, is an unneccesary and unwanted step, and simply isn't trustworthy?
The books on the reader are not trustworthy either. The memory might break but more importantly how do you make sure that all the books are on all the readers you have? Must readers implement something like rsync also?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2013, 01:30 AM   #123
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I beg your pardon...

I'm currently reading six books, pretty much simultaneously. Ok, not changing every 5 minutes, but at least every few hours. Doesn't everybody???

Well, I certainly do.

I usually switch between a couple of books on my Kindle, plus at least one in my dorm, one at school, one for when I get bored of that one, an extra one of each for Saturday (as a religious Jew I can hardly go around using electronics on Shabbos) and whichever new books come out for a series I've been waiting for for a year at least and which I MUST MUST READ. IMMEDIATELY! Or at least start it; THINGS happen. Mostly a new book which matches the same criteria.

I keep most of my ebooks on my Kindle, just because I have the room, so why not? Although I get rid of anything if I have a strong suspicion I won't reread it. Honestly, it's a pain to have to organize books through calibre to make sure metadata is right then add my amznbook.sdr folder backups to the right place, so if it's working fine, and my Kindle isn't turning into a slug, there is no reason to take books off, and several reasons to keep them.

Last edited by eschwartz; 09-09-2013 at 01:35 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:28 AM   #124
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I used to be a must have all on my device... but not any more. I think I lost the urge for that after Stanza (iOS) was killed off. Reason being that I liked being able to store the books by author and have them come up on a separate page. Megareader has now done that but I just didn't take to it as well as Stanza. I don't think many other readers do that although I have just downloaded the updated ShubookSE and will see how thats going, because it did do that method of storage. My reader of choice on iPad is now Marvin, and I dont like having a massively long list of books. For me its no trouble to just store 20 or so and keep the rest in Calibre.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:35 AM   #125
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Both. I start off with a short armchair nap and then retire to the bedroom for the medium-long(-ish) snooze.
Nope, one at a time. Well, maybe two at a pinch, but then the second one will be non-fiction. I have a tiny brain, a dreadfully defective memory and get so easily confused that any more would not be viable.
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2013, 04:57 AM   #126
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Upon reflection, I think I don't need more than a dozen books at a time on my ereader because I'm reading mostly at home, when commuting with the time-left feature I know if I need another book to make it home safely and overall I must be a slow reader.
At the end of 2013, I think I will have read a little more than 30 books.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:05 AM   #127
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan diVega View Post
Nope, one at a time. Well, maybe two at a pinch, but then the second one will be non-fiction. I have a tiny brain, a dreadfully defective memory and get so easily confused that any more would not be viable.
I'm not certain I follow.
In the event that you thought I might have been speaking metaphorically, I assure you I was not. That IS my nightly sleep routine.
(or did you mean to quote someone else?)
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:12 AM   #128
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have absolutely no idea how that happened... I didn't mean to quote you at all and the post was meant to look like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I beg your pardon...

I'm currently reading six books, pretty much simultaneously. Ok, not changing every 5 minutes, but at least every few hours. Doesn't everybody???

Like I said: tiny brain.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:26 AM   #129
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
With adequate file management software, which wouldn't be hard to program, and enough memory or a SD slot, either of which is inexpensive, I can see no reason NOT to keep all your books on your reader. Having just a few on your home page makes sense but why not have the rest in organized folders so you can easily find the book you want next?

Yes you COULD rely on cloud storage but why would that be preferable especially since the cloud is not always available, not able to be organized in the way that is most convenient to you, may not have all your books if you buy from multiple sources, doesn't have the metadata changes yoy might make for your books, is an unneccesary and unwanted step, and simply isn't trustworthy?
Trouble is I haven't got a folder-based ereader and if I did I'd probably still use search a lot (e.g. if I organized by Author I might not remember the author name). In any case it's getting harder to buy folder-based devices.

Also the cloud storage provided by the ebook vendors may not be flexible but other kinds (e.g. Dropbox, copy.com or good old fashioned hosting) are. The reason I veer towards the cloud is that I have multiple devices. I don't want all my ebooks on my phone all the time but I might, if I have a spare moment with nothing to do, want to download my current read.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:48 AM   #130
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
Also the cloud storage provided by the ebook vendors may not be flexible but other kinds (e.g. Dropbox, copy.com or good old fashioned hosting) are. The reason I veer towards the cloud is that I have multiple devices. I don't want all my ebooks on my phone all the time but I might, if I have a spare moment with nothing to do, want to download my current read.
Yup.
My calibre library is also available to me anywhere I have an internet connection. Which for my lifestyle, means work (where I can't read) and every room in my house. I DO sometimes get frustrated with my wireless coverage in my garage. But so far, I've never been in a "need a new book right now" crisis out there. I may put another access point there, though, just to head off any future problems.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:05 AM   #131
Mhtsos
Enthusiast
Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Iconia A210,Sony PRS-T1(sold),Cybook Orizon,Kobo Glo,Kindle PW2
Generally I like to have options.
When I finish a book I really don't know what to read next.
I can't decide until the very last moment.
I am also just too lazy to constantly adding and removing books.I want to do it once and only once.
Having all(or rather almost all)your collection with you is one bonus that made me in the fist place to buy an e-reader.
Mhtsos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #132
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

To the people who say they can't be futzed with transferring books to their readers all the time: how do your new book purchases get added to your devices? Do you save them up so you can transfer a bunch at once or what?

Don't get me wrong, I'm perfectly cool with you having your entire library on your reader (it don't make me no nevermind). I'm just having a hard time understanding how not wanting the hassle of hooking it up to pc and transferring is any kind of justification for doing so. I don't see that part as very relevant.

I only ever have a handful of books on my device and I hardly ever hook up and transfer either. I buy a book, download it, read it, and then usually delete it. Then every now and then, I get on my pc and download my recent purchases (sans device and any tether) and add them to my calibre library for backup.

How is that any more of a hassle than what you guys do (provided you're keeping a calibre or pc backup, of course)?

Wanting to have the myriad of choices, I understand. I just don't understand why anyone would automatically assume those who are OK with only handful of choices are somehow more "slaved" (or maybe tethered) to their external library.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-09-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #133
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious

For my own part I simply wait until I have a suitable number of books, whatever that might be, before transferring over to my reader and tablet. That might mean it's a week since I last did so, or it could be two months. Then again for me having my entire library on the reader/tablet has nothing to with anything other than wanting to have it all available at all time. Primarily I guess that's because I never know what I might want to read next. It could as easily be a sci-fi or fantasy story as an old classic or a poetry collection, so I am "dependent" on having it all to hand.

Convenience or saving myself hassle really has nothing to do with anything in my case, since the work involved is so minuscule to begin with.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #134
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan diVega View Post
Then again for me having my entire library on the reader/tablet has nothing to with anything other than wanting to have it all available at all time.
That's what I always assumed. I understand that sentiment (even if I don't share it). But I was just noticing several posts that seemed to be implying that NOT having their entire library would somehow how mean there would need to be more transferring involved. I wasn't quite following.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #135
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Calibre is great. It makes it easy to pick out your unread books, find a specific book in a specific series, look through all the books in a specific genre and every other function you might want a library program to do. Amazon's archive however is all but useless once you get past a few hundred books. It can't do any of that. I can't from my kindle browse my Calibre library to find the specific book I want, looking in the archive to find what I want is all but impossible. With the collections I've set up, as second class as that system is, I've got 900 books condensed down to 9 home pages with all my series numbered and in the correct order. It makes it at least reasonably easy to pick out the specific book I want anywhere I happen to be.

I'll depend on the archive when I can make collections in it, edit the metadata of the books in it, and am able to search the archive by metadata tags I attach to my books. All things that should have been programmmed into the kindle software from the start.

I'm really hoping for a generic reader designed for large libraries that can read any non-DRM'd ebook. They don't need their own ebook store or their own servers. Just have a lot of memory and good library management software that interfaces seemlessly with Calibre. I'd be quite content if they cut costs by leaving our 3G, Wi-Fi, lighted and touch screens if that was the only way they could make it affordable.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote