Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #106
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
It's a device that runs Android and has a HDMI out to plug into a TV. I use it mainly to run Netflix but I can also use it to browse the web or read books using any of the Android ereader apps that are out there.
Some Android tablets and phones also have an HDMI port. In those cases, you can stick everything on one device, take it where ever you go, and have the big screen when you want it. It isn't quite ready for mass consumption in my opinion. Then again, given the rate of advance with Android it won't be long until it is.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:50 PM   #107
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Maybe the ones with the whole libraries on their e-readers are too busy reading to post...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #108
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ex-Kobo Touch-Nook Simple Touch-Kobo Mini-Retina Mini
I think I am in a minority of that minority as I have only a couple of dozen on my reader, although I may move to using an SD.

Then I may fill it up with as many as 3 dozen !
mXb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #109
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+
I store roughly half my Calibre library on my ereader using the SD card for storage.
Those on my reader are my all time favorites that I can and do read over and over...after some time passes of course. They are set up in categories of series or individuals using the Mantano reader software, which I prefer.
My Calibre library is around 400 or a bit less books. Some I've read only once or twice and that is enough for a long time...not as good as others but still readable.

I much prefer having the capability to read what I want when I want any time or place I want...what a luxury...all in a device I can carry in my pants pocket...ahhh gotta love technology.
Kai Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #110
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
I would love to have my library, or even just my entire To Read list, on my ereader. Unfortunately it doesn't handle that well at all, and I don't have any idea what is wrong. So it mostly sits in a corner while I take my tablets, which I can load all my books on.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2013, 12:34 PM   #111
Breid
Zealot
Breid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really nice

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Kobo Glo; KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
On my Kobo's I have a lot less, because browsing is painful, so I only have tried and true authors on them.

Helen
I find browsing on the Kobo a bit of a pain too. That is partly why I just keep my TBR pile on my ereader. I am not sure if my frustration with Kobo's search function is due to user error/laziness in figuring out the best way to search my library, or if Kobo could improve their implementation of this feature.
Breid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #112
Breid
Zealot
Breid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I'm currently reading six books, pretty much simultaneously. Ok, not changing every 5 minutes, but at least every few hours. Doesn't everybody???
I used to have 3 or 4 books on the go, but not so much anymore. I fell prey to a rather bewildering ailment which caused me to have difficulty in recalling the details of the books I had read. I attributed this to reading too many books at once, but on reflection, I think the real problem is my ageing pea-sized brain
Old 09-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #113
Breid
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
So far the people who do not keep their entire library on their ereader seem to be in the majority even though they claim to be in the minority.
Apache
I never really got to grips with maths at school
Old 09-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #114
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
I have hundreds of unread ebooks obviously because I pirate them. I kid.

I put my current read on my kindle, along with the next book or two I plan to read. After I'm done with the first, I change my mind about what I'm going to read next, so put a new book on the ereader. Before I finish that one, I change my mind about the next two books I'm going to read. This repeats itself to varying degrees.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #115
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
I have hundreds of unread ebooks obviously because I pirate them. I kid.
If I go to FeedBooks to find myself a nicely made free novel, I always must take care not to go on a downloading spree, because I'll be downloading way too much to read on short notice, and it'll take way too much time to organize it into Caibre the way I want it.

If I did, I would have hundreds of books in short order...
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #116
Sefiriot
Bujavid tekikin
Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: LG G3 D855, Samsung Galaxy Note N7000
I currently have over 20k titles in calibre, quite a lot of it being fanfic at the moment since I've not finished importing the more serious reading materials from their scattered locations. Of those already in Calibre's library, 12650 are currently on device and managed by Calibre Companion, which does an admirable job of sorting things.

I like having most of, if not my entire library with me, because I never know what I want to read at the moment: I might get a minute free and decide to switch to something else other than what I was reading halfway the last time. So I tend to have 5 or 6 books on the go, and my reading speed is generally in the 5-800+ words per minute range, thus I like having lots to read available that I can pick and choose from at random. I also enjoy rereading old favourites and want those with me at nearly all times.

My original plan was to stick the entire library onto the phone as soon as I finish importing and tidying up metadata for the non-fanfic stuff and wrangling the current jungle of tags. Sadly it seems that unless I find another device, probably a tablet or dedicated reader, certain problems from Android, my device and the ondevice database along with the extremely long sync period will make it so that 10000 is probably the optimal limit for the amount of ondevice files. And I'm nowhere near filling my 16GB SD card either.
Sefiriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #117
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
It wouldn't occur to me not to have all my books on my devices - I simply equate an ereader to a mobile bookcase, it just somehow would feel so strange to me and wrong in some way if they weren't all there.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #118
mvo
Connoisseur
mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: see signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post

Library Petting: to love, or gaze lovingly at; to virtually "stroke" the spines of all your ebooks with near reverence; to lose oneself in the vast array of artwork; to become consumed with the organization and general curation of your collection; to "wander" the virtual stacks while trailing your hand along the virtual shelves.
I do this via LibraryThing.com, for all my books
mvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #119
Avalona
Enthusiast
Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Fire 8 (2020)
I have pretty much my entire elibrary on my readers (split up by file type, of course. ePubs are on the Kobo and Sony, mobi/AZW are on the Kindle. When you put the two together, it's a massive library, but a large part of it is all the samples on my Kindle. There's over 300 of those alone). I often have several books going at once (on the Kindle, it's five), and I don't know what I'm going to feel like reading on any day, and (most notably) I am very lazy, and don't like plugging my reader up to the computer whenever I need to change books (which, at the speed I read, can be very frequent), so.
Avalona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #120
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
With adequate file management software, which wouldn't be hard to program, and enough memory or a SD slot, either of which is inexpensive, I can see no reason NOT to keep all your books on your reader. Having just a few on your home page makes sense but why not have the rest in organized folders so you can easily find the book you want next?

Yes you COULD rely on cloud storage but why would that be preferable especially since the cloud is not always available, not able to be organized in the way that is most convenient to you, may not have all your books if you buy from multiple sources, doesn't have the metadata changes yoy might make for your books, is an unneccesary and unwanted step, and simply isn't trustworthy?
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote