Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-27-2010, 06:17 AM   #1
ornillo
ornillo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
which is the best program to convert files to epub ??

i have files word,pdf,lrf, what is the best program for convert to epub?? (with justified text)

Greetings

ornillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:20 AM   #2
akapulko2020
akapulko2020 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300,iPod Touch
Calibre http://calibre-ebook.com/ is highly recommended
akapulko2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2010, 06:22 AM   #3
ornillo

thank you akapulko2020, does not convince me this program, always use the BD, ¿know if there is another worthwhile?

greetings
Old 06-27-2010, 07:11 AM   #4
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Well, my work with ebooks, at least the system I've developed through some heavy experimentation with my own books, is to use some kind of program (in my case a php script, or calibre depending on the need) to do the heavy lifting of initial conversion and book setup. The next step is to use Sigil to clean up and finalize the book. After that I simply use a text editor and winrar or ark to edit files inside the epub during the final tweaking process.

Last edited by Steven Lake; 06-27-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:33 AM   #5
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
If you're feeling like hand converting, definately Sigil (it has it's own forum here). Automatic conversions are usually fine when done by Calibre, though.
nashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2010, 10:01 AM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Calibre *can* produce good results.
It can also produce odd stuff.

One path I've found works very well for *me* is to use MS Word to create a LIT file (using the Read in MS Reader plug-in).

Then I use Calibre to convert the LIT file (which is internally very similar to epub) to an ePub. This bypasses the Calibre content conversion routines and simply uses it as a format converter.

Suerte!
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:17 PM   #7
ornillo

Thank´s for your posts, i try this options.

Greetings
Old 06-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #8
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashira View Post
If you're feeling like hand converting, definately Sigil (it has it's own forum here).
Maybe this is just me getting the wrong impression from its WYSIWYG interface, but it seems to me like Sigil is overkill if you're already working from compliant (or mostly-compliant) HTML files, and you're better off with a tool that offers pure assembly like eCub.

But that will depend on your source, of course.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:14 PM   #9
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ornillo View Post
thank you akapulko2020, does not convince me this program, always use the BD, ¿know if there is another worthwhile?

greetings
If you use Book Designer, you could give a try to my HTML02HTML utility, that converts an uncompressed ".html0" file to a clean html file with css. Then open the converted file with Sigil, generate TOC and split chapters and save as ePub.

To get the utility see my signature.

Hope this helps.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:54 PM   #10
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
Maybe this is just me getting the wrong impression from its WYSIWYG interface, but it seems to me like Sigil is overkill if you're already working from compliant (or mostly-compliant) HTML files, and you're better off with a tool that offers pure assembly like eCub.

But that will depend on your source, of course.
It has a code view as well. You can use it without using the WYSISYG interface if you so desire. It also has a combined code/WYSIWYG view.

Besides, it's free. Hardly going to be that much of a bother to anyone if they don't like it.
nashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:56 PM   #11
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
It has a code view as well. You can use it without using the WYSISYG interface if you so desire. It also has a combined code/WYSIWYG view.
True, but - at least when I switch from code to WYSIWYG - it "tidys" my HTML which I don't want it to. I've not yet tried a pure code view book, though.

Quote:
Besides, it's free. Hardly going to be that much of a bother to anyone if they don't like it.
True again!
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:29 AM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ornillo View Post
i have files word,pdf,lrf, what is the best program for convert to epub?? (with justified text)

Greetings

Depends on format. For Word I'd save as Filtered HTML and use Sigil, for PDF I'd use Acrobat Pro or some other software to export as HTML and then use Sigil. For LRF I'd use Calibre and then "tweak" with Sigil as needed.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:30 AM   #13
ornillo

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Depends on format. For Word I'd save as Filtered HTML and use Sigil, for PDF I'd use Acrobat Pro or some other software to export as HTML and then use Sigil. For LRF I'd use Calibre and then "tweak" with Sigil as needed.
I don´t like Calibre . What I am trying to do is open the word with the BD and save it to html, then open it with the sigil, but when i save in epub, numbers appear on the right side of the screen, not as removed. I can not increase the size of the letter, because nothing appears in the tab any Styles.

¿how I can remove these numbers? These numbers do not appear in word and html

greetings
Old 06-28-2010, 08:40 AM   #14
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Is this in ADE (Adobe Digital Editons)? Those are "page" numbers added by the reading software, you can't remove them in most implementations.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:59 AM   #15
ornillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Is this in ADE (Adobe Digital Editons)? Those are "page" numbers added by the reading software, you can't remove them in most implementations.
is a html convert to epub with Sigil, and than appear this numbers