Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-18-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
Opus
Opus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
checksum errors - any solutions??

I see alot of posts (my own included) about various checksum errors during attempts to update Kindles.

What I find interesting is that it is almost never the same file.

My own experience has to do with a libtopaz.so file,

I installed a screensaver hack once but removed when I realized that I would have to uninstall / re-install if I wanted updates, anticipating folders I figured I could live without custom screensavers.

Now I could be wrong but I think my problem is a corrupted file that is not related to any hack, Amazon tech service has made vague promises about getting back to me but nothing so far.

Does anyone know how to replace a single system file on the Kindle?
(of course, one fear I have is that I get over the libtopaz hurdle only to be presented with another checksum errror.)
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:24 PM   #2
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

This sounds like your conclusions are correct. The best way would be to make a simple update that replaces it with a known good version of the file.

What platform/version are you on?
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 12:12 PM   #3
Opus

Hi, thanks for the reply!

I have a kindle 2 US Wireless (B002...) currently at 2.0.3 (327610024)

I was wondering if it would possible to create a custom bin file?
I am thinking that is how the various hacks are created in the first place?

since the problem file is different for different people I would not expect someone to take requests but if someone knowledgeable could tutor how to
create such a .bin that would be invaluable!

I am not looking to turn my Kindle into an iPad, I simply want the collections function of the new update and Amazon is not being very helpful.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

I have libtopaz.so from version 2.0.2 for K2US, but not for version 2.0.3 If anyone has a copy of the 2.0.3 update, then I can patch the file to the 2.0.3 version, and create an update for you to fix it.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:38 PM   #5
Opus

Hi Clarknova,

I have a 2.0.3 bin file I found a couple weeks ago in the hopes that I could learn how to extract and replace the file!

I am not sure if I am allowed to post the link? but here it goes

http://www.avenard.org/kindle2/Firmw...ndle_2.0.3.bin

thank you very much for this attempt, I am excited, work or not this is waaaay more than I am getting from Amazon.
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 01:58 PM   #6
clarknova
Addict

Cool. I've patched my 2.0.2 version to 2.0.3 and verified that it has the correct checksum... however, before I make an update package, which version are you trying to update to?
Old 06-21-2010, 02:28 PM   #7
Opus

Hi,

I have the 2.5.2 bin from the Amazon manual update page.

thanks again for your time and effort!
Old 06-21-2010, 02:56 PM   #8
clarknova
Addict

Opus, I think I know why you're getting the checksum error.

The 2.5.2 update doesn't include the 2.3 update. Search for "Update_kindle2_2.3.bin" and install that update first. Then try updating to 2.5.2.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:18 PM   #9
Opus

I will try that again, but I have manually tried to update to 2.0.4 and 2.3.3 which were the only bin files I could find at the time, I get the same error even when trying to update to 2.0.4.

I see what you saying, I will try to obtain more early bin files and try that

thank you!
Old 06-21-2010, 03:43 PM   #10
clarknova
Addict

Opus, if that still doesn't work, here's an update to repair your libTopaz.so library for the 2.0.3 version (if you manage to upgrade past that, DO NOT use this update as it will break things).

If you update with this, there should be two files on your kindle (usb partition) afterwards: fixlibtopaz.log and LibTopaz.so.broken

The first is a log, the second is the libTopaz.so that we replaced (for saftey).

The log should look like this:
Code:
Mon Jun 21 15:36:58 EDT 2010
Checking MD5sum of /usr/java/lib/libTopaz.so:
2ea286bc781d1e7909f9a7960e07b74f  /usr/java/lib/libTopaz.so
Checking MD5sum of replacement libTopaz.so.2.0.3:
86e049c35318b23a9f123d3ec7ff3e14  libTopaz.so.2.0.3
Moving /usr/java/lib/libTopaz.so to /mnt/us/libTopaz.so.broken...
Copying libTopaz.so.2.0.3 to /usr/java/lib/libTopaz.so...
Checking MD5sum of /usr/java/lib/libTopaz.so:
86e049c35318b23a9f123d3ec7ff3e14  /usr/java/lib/libTopaz.so
Done.
The 86e049c35318b23a9f123d3ec7ff3e14 md5sum is the correct hash of the file.

Good luck, and I hope you don't need to use this.
Attached Files
File Type: bin update_fixtopazlib-2.0.3.bin (617.6 KB, 269 views)
Old 06-21-2010, 03:58 PM   #11
Opus

Thank you Clarknova,

I will try all your advice and use your bin as a last resort when I get home tonight and then post my results.

again, thanks for all your help, very generous!