Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-28-2010, 07:21 PM   #1
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
China Mieville wins Arthur C Clarke award

Apparently he's the first author to do so 3 times

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010...c-clarke-award

(not strictly ebook related - although his books are available as ebooks - apols if it's in the wrong section)
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Well deserved - IMHO - his writing is so different & original - never know what to expect.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2010, 03:36 AM   #3
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
He has a signing at Forbidden Planet in London in May. I wonder if I can get him to sign my ebook copy of "The City and the City"?
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:09 AM   #4
gollu
Unsullied
gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i
The first time I've heard of that author, but as of what is written in the wiki, he seems quite good.
What book by him would you recommend to read first?
gollu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:14 AM   #5
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Perdido Street Station
Advert
Old 04-29-2010, 08:15 AM   #6
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
His current book (The City and the City) is a bit of a mash-up of noir detective fiction in a sci-fi parallel universe setting.

For his earlier steampunk writings - start with Perdido Street Station.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:17 PM   #7
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Might even start with his juvie book Un-Lun-Dun.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:53 PM   #8
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
He is wildly imaginative. The "possible sword" in The Scar still makes me giggle to think of it. Jeez, and cactus-men in general!

+1 for starting at Perdido Street Station.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:52 PM   #9
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Myself, I like this little feller:

http://www.curufea.com/games/crobuzon/slake.gif
Old 04-29-2010, 11:42 PM   #10
bleugh
Enthusiast
bleugh began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Good luck on her, but, I bought peredue(?) st station....I really couldn't read it,
rarely have I not been able to just sit down and enjoy a book but I found it hard going :-(

it's a DTB so, i'll dig it out and re-try sometime!
bleugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:33 PM   #11
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleugh View Post
Good luck on her, but, I bought peredue(?) st station....I really couldn't read it,
rarely have I not been able to just sit down and enjoy a book but I found it hard going :-(

it's a DTB so, i'll dig it out and re-try sometime!
A friend lent me Perdido Street Station so I dutifully slogged through it. I even read the first two chapters of the Scar before I set it aside - life is too short for bad books. I know some people really like them and that's fine.

But if I hadn't read the first book, I wouldn't get to giggle at that sleeping-pill commercial with the giant butterflies.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:03 PM   #12
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cearbhallain View Post
A friend lent me Perdido Street Station so I dutifully slogged through it. I even read the first two chapters of the Scar before I set it aside - life is too short for bad books. I know some people really like them and that's fine.
Correct "some" to "the majority."

For whatever Amazon reviews are worth, 249 are 3 stars or more, 57 are 2 stars or less:
Old 05-03-2010, 04:37 PM   #13
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
He's not an easy read. I'll agree to that but I dig his work. And despite his name, he's a he. Surprised me to hear that too!
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:00 PM   #14
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
He's not an easy read. I'll agree to that but I dig his work.
There are definitely authors out there who are easier to read. But I love what I've read of his stuff (even Iron Council, although that took me a little while to get into)

Quote:
And despite his name, he's a he. Surprised me to hear that too!
I guessed he was probably a he, but only because I'd done the whole assuming someone called China was a she with another person (who is also British)
Old 05-05-2010, 10:27 AM   #15
llreader
Mesmerist
llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 Silver. Much nicer than I expected.
Excellent! Miéville is an exciting writer. I haven't read any of his novels yet (I know, but you can tell just from reading a few things). If you have trouble getting through a book, take a peek at his collection Looking for Jake: Stories. It showcases some neat ideas and some great writing.
llreader is offline   Reply With Quote