Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-06-2010, 11:56 AM   #1
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Exclamation Suggestion: Tag merging/spliting

I don't know if it's possible, but it would e really useful to be able to merge and split tags.

I love the possibility to automatically fetch metadata. But the problem is that I've ended up with 500 tags, which could be reduced to a couple dozen.

Merging:

I would select, for example, "fantasy", "fantasy epic", "fantasy & fiction", "fiction & fantasy", "adventure fantasy" into a single "fantasy" tag, for example.

Spliting:

I would select a tag and split it in two. For example: "fantasy & sci-fi" into "fantasy" and "sci-fi".

What do you think?

If it's already possible, sorry for being a fool. Please teach me how.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
right click on any tag in the tag browser and select manage tags.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 02:59 PM   #3
cynthia399
cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Astak Mentor
The manage tags works, but you can only select one tag at a time. It would be great if you could select multiple tags.
cynthia399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:14 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthia399 View Post
The manage tags works, but you can only select one tag at a time. It would be great if you could select multiple tags.
Exactly what do you want to do when you select multiple tags?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:55 PM   #5
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
I've had to do some changes since I started too, as my tastes changed. What has worked well for me is to search for all books with e.g., "fantasy" in their tags, then do a bulk metadata edit.

From there, you can add the "Fantasy" tag you want to all of them, and remove all the extras, like "fantasy epic", "fantasy & fiction", "fiction & fantasy", etc...

It's pretty easy, since just typing the first letters - "fan" - makes all those others present pop up, and you can just select them to delete them, and then OK, and it's done in a swoop.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 04:01 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper_ View Post
I've had to do some changes since I started too, as my tastes changed. What has worked well for me is to search for all books with e.g., "fantasy" in their tags, then do a bulk metadata edit.

From there, you can add the "Fantasy" tag you want to all of them, and remove all the extras, like "fantasy epic", "fantasy & fiction", "fiction & fantasy", etc...

It's pretty easy, since just typing the first letters - "fan" - makes all those others present pop up, and you can just select them to delete them, and then OK, and it's done in a swoop.
Even Easier

In the Tag editor:
"Rename the tag to an Existing one.
If the title has the old tag only, it fixes all the books with that tag.
If the destination tag already exists for a title, the old one is just deleted
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:20 PM   #7
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Even Easier

In the Tag editor:
"Rename the tag to an Existing one.
If the title has the old tag only, it fixes all the books with that tag.
If the destination tag already exists for a title, the old one is just deleted
That is even better!

On the other hand, I just checked, and I actually was able to select multiple tags in the tag editor. So I'm not sure our solutions are needed...? lol

Search tags:fantasy
Bulk metadata add Fantasy to all
Tag editor - select all extras and delete.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:38 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper_ View Post
That is even better!

On the other hand, I just checked, and I actually was able to select multiple tags in the tag editor. So I'm not sure our solutions are needed...? lol

Search tags:fantasy
Bulk metadata add Fantasy to all
Tag editor - select all extras and delete.
Whatever works for you
Calibre has many ways to do things. Except for messing around under the Libraries "skirts", none are wrong
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:40 PM   #9
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
right click on any tag in the tag browser and select manage tags.
It doesn't allow me to merge or split (maybe it merges automatically if I rename a tag the same as another?).

Anyway, I'm gonna try the suggested search/bulk edit/delete in manage tags combo.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:53 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
renaming merges automatically.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:33 PM   #11
cynthia399
cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Exactly what do you want to do when you select multiple tags?
When I look at the tag manager and see for example
Action & Adventure
Action/Adventure
Action
Adventure

I would like to be able to select all of these tags and rename them to Action, Adventure
Old 10-08-2010, 03:57 AM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Ahh... Thanks.

You just pointed me at a bug. With today's implementation, you should not be allowed to put a comma into the tag. Calibre is getting very confused, because it now has a tag with a comma in the middle of it, but commas are supposed to separate one tag from another.

Now to work out how to fix that. Perhaps in the process I can give you some of what you want. I won't be doing multiple selection, but I might be able to do tag splitting. With that, copy & paste would get you 90% the way there.

Edit: bug fixed. You can now 'rename' a tag to multiple tags by providing a comma-separated list. All of the resulting tags are applied to the books with the original. With this facility, it is possible to add tags without renaming. For example, change 'Fiction' to 'Fiction,MyTag', and 'MyTag' will be applied to all books already having 'Fiction'.

I did not implement multiple tag selection, because the changes would be very complicated. Instead, select one tag, change it as needed, copy the result, and then select/paste the copied result into the others you want to change.

Last edited by chaley; 10-08-2010 at 06:14 AM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #13
cynthia399

Thanks, this change will really help.