Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: What OS should I use?
Stick with Windows 22 22.45%
Ubuntu 46 46.94%
Go scrounge up lots of money and buy a mac! 18 18.37%
What the hell -- Free BSD! 1 1.02%
Use another Linux distribution. 6 6.12%
Something else entirely. 5 5.10%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2009, 01:58 PM   #1
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Should I switch to Ubuntu, or stay with Windows XP?

Let's just say I've become very annoyed with Microsoft lately. Lots of reasons, and you can probably guess what they are.

In principle, the idea of a community-based software platform rather than consumer/vendor model also greatly appeals to me.

From what I've read there are also a lot of advantages to Linux.

But there's no substitute for familiarity, more ready availability of software, and a broader user base.

What do you think?

P.S. If it makes any difference, I'm a very fast learner with computers in general, I've done some minimal programming, but by and large, I'm not actually an "expert".
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:03 PM   #2
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
Let's just say I've become very annoyed with Microsoft lately. Lots of reasons, and you can probably guess what they are.

In principle, the idea of a community-based software platform rather than consumer/vendor model also greatly appeals to me.

From what I've read there are also a lot of advantages to Linux.

But there's no substitute for familiarity, more ready availability of software, and a broader user base.

What do you think?

P.S. If it makes any difference, I'm a very fast learner with computers in general, I've done some minimal programming, but by and large, I'm not actually an "expert".
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but if you need to ask, you'd better stick with Windows. Linux is very capable but is very unfriendly.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2009, 02:07 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Windows XP is about to be superseded by Windows 7, I think.

Of course, philosophically, this probably doesn't change a thing with your feelings about Windows.

Isn't there a version of Linux that's now very friendly? What type of Linux are the new Netbooks being loaded with?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:07 PM   #4
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but if you need to ask, you'd better stick with Windows. Linux is very capable but is very unfriendly.
Can I ask upon what evidence you formed the opinion that it is unfriendly?

I know there are probably better forums to ask this question, and indeed I am asking it at other forums. But I think MR represents a community of people, many of whom have about the same amount of tech savvy as I have, who are comfortable with their computers but do have other hobbies (like reading), so their opinions seem most valuable to me.

Besides, if I asked at the Ubuntu forums, the answer will be skewed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Windows XP is about to be superseded by Windows 7, I think.

Of course, philosophically, this probably doesn't change a thing with your feelings about Windows.
If anything it makes me less likely to want to stick with Windows, since if I wanted Windows 7, I'd have to pay for it.

Quote:
Isn't there a version of Linux that's now very friendly? What type of Linux are the new Netbooks being loaded with?
My guess (for both questions) would be Ubuntu.

Last edited by frabjous; 05-06-2009 at 02:11 PM.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:10 PM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:

I know there are probably better forums to ask this question, and indeed I am asking it at other forums. But I think MR represents a community of people, many of whom have about the same amount of tech savvy as I have, who are comfortable with their computers but do have other hobbies (like reading), so their opinions seem most valuable to me.

Besides, if I asked at the Ubuntu forums, the answer will be skewed.
I am a long time Debian user. From what I have heard Ubuntu is really beginner friendly (and based on Debian). I think you can also test Ubuntu using a Live DVD and/or a USB tstick and see if you like it.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2009, 02:12 PM   #6
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
My advice, and I use all three systems Win, Linux and Mac, is go with a dual boot of Windows 7 and Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope. Ubuntu is great, community based, lots of progress and exciting release schedules, but it is lacking in some areas (and it's getting easier and easier to use). Windows 7 is great also, very friendly, snappy on even lower end hardware. Dual boot and you have the best of both worlds
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:36 PM   #7
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
I use JJ on my desktop and Win XP on my netbook. The best solution ever (honestly). Well, my netbook is quite fast so it can double as a laptop quite easily. (160 gb HD inside)
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:49 PM   #8
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I put Ubuntu eeeBuntu on my 8.9" screen netbook. It's very "familiar" in feel. Though I haven't done much more than web serf and browse the hard drive.

Besides, it's free. Give it a try ... and revert if you don't like it!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:08 PM   #9
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've ventured into Linux every year or two for the last ten or fifteen years, most recently on a Nokia N800 Internet Tablet, and have found it just not worth the hassle of trying to get something useful and compatible with the rest of the world running. My opinion is that Linux, while slowly making progress, is still not ready for the desktop.
Quote:
If anything it makes me less likely to want to stick with Windows, since if I wanted Windows 7, I'd have to pay for it.
Windows Seven Release Candidate became available today, is free to download, and will not expire for a year.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:09 PM   #10
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin;
I have to ask - Have you tried Ubuntu?

If you had you would realise that it is far from unfriendly. Transfer from Windoze XP is very easy & friendly, you need about as much computer expertise as for Xp, though drivers for some very obscure software may be a problem. But the community will usually offer a solution.
I am currently running Win 98, (to support some old software), Win Xp prof, Win Xp home and Ubuntu on various pc's. (I refuse to use Vista).

IMHO Ubuntu Linux is at least as user friendly as Xp.

And the bottom line is that for the moment Linux is not a target fot the malware / virus writers.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:36 PM   #11
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
The N800 uses Maemo. It is based on Debian GNU/Linux and draws much of its GUI, frameworks, and libraries from the GNOME project. My understanding is that Ubuntu is also a derivative of Debian. Other than that I have not actually used Ubuntu.

My experience with the N800 was that there is a great deal of software available, but that the lion’s share of it was either buggy, incomplete or both. That would follow from the developer model being largely amateur driven. That’s not to say there are not talented dedicated amateurs around, but by the nature of the beast it is necessarily their second job.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:09 PM   #12
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post

If you had you would realise that it is far from unfriendly. Transfer from Windoze XP is very easy & friendly, you need about as much computer expertise as for Xp, though drivers for some very obscure software may be a problem. But the community will usually offer a solution.
I am currently running Win 98, (to support some old software), Win Xp prof, Win Xp home and Ubuntu on various pc's. (I refuse to use Vista).

IMHO Ubuntu Linux is at least as user friendly as Xp.
That depends. Granted, it's been a while since I last tried it (7.10-Gutsy Gibbon, I think) but getting my wireless adapter working on it is a pain. Even when I was able to install the drivers, I still needed to reset the settings every time I rebooted the laptop.

Good thing it was only running on an extra laptop. I kept having to move to a PC running Windows XP whenever I needed to do some "power user" stuff. Linux is great if all you need are the basics (net surfing, email, word processing, etc) or if you're an expert at *nix. If you're somewhere in between, it might be difficult.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:11 PM   #13
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin;
The N800 uses Maemo. It is based on Debian GNU/Linux and draws much of its GUI, frameworks, and libraries from the GNOME project. My understanding is that Ubuntu is also a derivative of Debian. Other than that I have not actually used Ubuntu.

My experience with the N800 was that there is a great deal of software available, but that the lion’s share of it was either buggy, incomplete or both. That would follow from the developer model being largely amateur driven. That’s not to say there are not talented dedicated amateurs around, but by the nature of the beast it is necessarily their second job.
Rather than making speculative comments may I suggest you try it first, I think you will be surprised at how far Ubuntu has come from it's roots in unix.

It is after all free, and you loose nothing to try, and your comments will then be more informed.

BTW why are you batting so strongly for Windows?
Old 05-06-2009, 04:24 PM   #14
columbus
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd;
That depends. Granted, it's been a while since I last tried it (7.10-Gutsy Gibbon, I think) but getting my wireless adapter working on it is a pain. Even when I was able to install the drivers, I still needed to reset the settings every time I rebooted the laptop.

Good thing it was only running on an extra laptop. I kept having to move to a PC running Windows XP whenever I needed to do some "power user" stuff. Linux is great if all you need are the basics (net surfing, email, word processing, etc) or if you're an expert at *nix. If you're somewhere in between, it might be difficult.
7.10 was a long time ago the 8.? Lts release for me has not shown any problems with drivers for normal use. Granted there is not so much "black" software (DVD, music rip of etc.) as for windows. I have not tried the latest 9.?4 as yet but I understand that it is even less resource hungry than 8.1.
I am not biased in any way I go back to Trs dos, Ldos, cpm etc. etc. & believe you should give credit where it is due.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:29 PM   #15
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
My suggestion: Install Virtualbox (free). Then install Ubuntu within a virtual machine. Now you can give Ubuntu a try without messing with your harddisk partitions. If you don't like what you see, you can easily erase the virtual machine and uninstall Virtualbox.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote