Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-09-2008, 08:57 PM   #1
dhill
Connoisseur
dhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to behold

Device: iPad 2, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD
Dictionary

I can't seem to get the dictionary function to work. I save a Prc dictionary to the system/dictionary directory, but when I try to look up a word in a prc book, it says that there is no dictionary installed. I've used the old Iliad trick of opening it once but no dice. The function to look up a word by typing it brings up the dictionary without problem. Anyone else have this problem?
dhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:12 PM   #2
cjp
Zealot
cjp began at the beginning.

Device: HP Slate 500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3G+Wi-Fi, Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhill View Post
I can't seem to get the dictionary function to work. I save a Prc dictionary to the system/dictionary directory, but when I try to look up a word in a prc book, it says that there is no dictionary installed. I've used the old Iliad trick of opening it once but no dice. The function to look up a word by typing it brings up the dictionary without problem. Anyone else have this problem?
Yes, I am having the same issues. I bought the Collins dictionary through Mobipocket. It works just fine on my computer. I also bought a book.
The book shows up and reads just fine in a folder 'ebooks.'

Even though the dictionary IS in the system folder/Dictionaries the DR says it cannot read it. Gave me directions to redownload it, making sure my devise PID is enabled (it was).

Tried several times, no luck. I "sent it" to the devise (cannot copy to and make a folder like the manual suggests) and I can open it, but if I want to find a word, it shuts down.
What gives?
cjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2008, 09:18 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Try putting the dictionary in the same folder as the ebook.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:16 PM   #4
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Do you use the CF card slot to store your books? I found that once I decided and configured the Iliad to use the CF card, I began having difficulty with the dictionary I have. I'd put it in the right spot, but if I opened it directly, it was moving it to a subdirectory in its name (as it did to all other mobipocket format books I opened). This movement meant that it was no longer in that bottom level of the directory, and so couldn't be found. I moved it back, and have since only ever opened it by looking up a word from another book (which didn't move the dictionary).

Also, what is the "Language" setting of your dictionaries and the text you are reading to do the lookup from? (I can't recall if you can see this on the Iliad, but you can in Mobipocket Reader on your PC).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:30 PM   #5
dhill
Connoisseur
dhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to behold

Device: iPad 2, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD
All of the docs are stored on the one SD card. No internal memory or CF card. The manual and the error message both say that the dictionary should be in the Home/System/Dictionaries directory. That is where mine is. I also deleted another copy of the dictionary from a Reference directory that I created. Buggy software. I'll post something on the iRex board.
dhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2008, 10:38 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I suggested putting the dictionary in the same folder as the ebook because that is where other versions of Mobipocket Reader expect to find it.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:51 PM   #7
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I suggested putting the dictionary in the same folder as the ebook because that is where other versions of Mobipocket Reader expect to find it.
Nate puts succinctly what I put confusedly.

Also, with "CF card" I should have recalled that you can use on your device an SD card, and should have just referred to it as "card".

Note, as an addendum, if you are wanting to utilise a French-English language dictionary to do a direct lookup of a French word used in an English mobipocket book (that is, one with a language setting of "En"glish), the Iliad will, it seems (and certainly in my experience) not look in the French-English ("fr<->en") dictionary. Obviously, this would likely be applicable for different language variations in the above example. That is why I ask about the "language". I doubt that this is the case with the problem you mention, as you'd probably have mentioned that particular type of dictionary, but I mentioned it in case we were chasing the wrong thing.

I hope the iRex board can help you with the problem.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:26 AM   #8
cjp
Zealot
cjp began at the beginning.

Device: HP Slate 500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3G+Wi-Fi, Droid
The dictionary still does not work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Your suggestion seemed like a good idea, but alas, it does not change - the new $30 (on sale!) dictionary does not work whether it is in the ebook folder, in the sytem/dictionary folder...nothing. I deleted it completely and then reinstalled it. It works perfectly on the computer. But in the DR1000S, it does not.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
cjp is offline   Reply With Quote