Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-15-2008, 05:07 AM   #46
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Thanks
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 05:44 AM   #47
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by simple dave View Post
Thanks, Ortep. Do you know if there's a way to keep it as html file? (without the final step of exporting it to prc)
It already was mentioned: It is in the My Publications directory in My Documents. You can edit the html if you want to make changes. You can also double click on the opf file. It will open your project in MobiCreator and you can make changes there. Things like modify the cover page, the author, the title etc. If you select 'build' again all those changes are inside the prc file. If you have MobiReader installed you can see how your book is looking without transfering it to your reader

Last edited by Ortep; 02-15-2008 at 05:47 AM.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2008, 08:08 AM   #48
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I sent the book to the Kindle conversion just to see how well it works.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:00 AM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why the hell did Tor have to send us PDF? The worst format out there and they choose that. Tor is not earning any brownie points for this.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:22 AM   #50
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why the hell did Tor have to send us PDF? The worst format out there and they choose that. Tor is not earning any brownie points for this.
As we know, pdf is the "default" format for e-books for anyone not into them. Though this one converts fast and nicely with mobipocket creator, and I presume with other tools also.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2008, 09:45 AM   #51
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Actually, it looks pretty good on my Reader as-is, in PDF. The book is formatted for a 4.4 x 7 inch page, so it's only reduced a little bit. I went to medium size, and the font size seems perfect. I just lose a little contrast.

Give it a try!

(Dennis, is this enough to convince you that I don't spend all of my time complaining?)
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:53 AM   #52
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
What do they say about a "gift" horse? Be thankful - it's free!
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:59 AM   #53
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I downloaded my copy this morning and didn't even think to try it as is on my Reader. Right now I'm in the process of converting it using Rasterfarian 2.5, but it is taking a long time to do so. One of the reasons I didn't think to try as is on the Reader is that every time I have tried that, the font has been abysmally small for my old eyes and not easily enlarged. I have to say that in the normal course of events, I really like using Kovid's libprs500 to put books in Sony format because I can choose the base font size.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:22 AM   #54
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
What do they say about a "gift" horse? Be thankful - it's free!
This is true, but at the same time I wish there was an easy way to give feedback on the files. I wouldn't really expect Sony files or anything, but I'm kinda surprised they aren't offering it in the four somewhat standard formats that everyone else offers (lit, pdf, Mobi & eReader).

That said I'm glad they're doing something & would love to see them hit the ebook market full force. Tor has many books I want to be able to buy. I just hope they handle things differently than MacMillan (they're parent company) has handled ebook releases for some of their other "labels".
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:29 AM   #55
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
It converted fine via the Amazon service, lost the cover but everything else seems to be there.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:44 AM   #56
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Well it is free, and basically everyone can open a .pdf and start reading right away on their computer. Nerds like us love/hate different formats, but the fact of the matter is that everyone knows how to read a .pdf. You are correct that it's not the best format, but it's probably the next best thing to just a straight .txt file.

I'm happy with it. I just converted it to kindle format and it's ready to read.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:56 AM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did try a conversion using Mobipocker Creator and it looks like I might need to move the resulting HTML into Book Designer to clean it up some and add the ToC.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:43 PM   #58
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
I did the same & found that it seemed to drop a certain sequences of chars, so "fly" became, "y", "flat" became "at", "field" became "eld", etc - Odd...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:15 PM   #59
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Those are character pairs that "kern" together in some fonts (are replaced by special combined characters). Has anyone tried pdftohtml yet? I got my email but haven't had time to download and test conversion.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:18 PM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Before you load the HTML into Book Designer,set the language to german and try again.

Tags
free book, subscription, tor