Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-14-2021, 01:50 AM   #1
xyrompec
xyrompec began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Help in deciphering contents of intercepted file requested by Kindle

Hi, community!

With some help of the Kindle Store Proxy (especially this file), I was able to connect my Kindle Oasis (with 5.13.3) to a mitmproxy running on my Mac, deciphering even the HTTPS requests.

There were some interesting findings, such as the kindle POSTing to https://softwareupdates.amazon.com/software/inventory2 to check for updates.

While analyzing requests, I found one URL that was puzzling:

https://d18os95hu8sz6h.cloudfront.net/1/LATEST

The Kindle makes this request not very often, usually just right after startup.

The URL is also not user-specific (meaning that the Kindle doesn't POST any serial-related data) and I could download the file directly from my computer. I attached the file below to see if anyone can help decipher what the file is about. I also saved the file on the internet archive.

Edit #1: Add attachment. Ignore .txt extension at the end. Firefox seems to think that it's a .dms file.
Attached Files
File Type: txt LATEST.txt (184.6 KB, 104 views)

Last edited by xyrompec; 07-14-2021 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Add attachment
xyrompec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 01:43 PM   #2
irreld
Enthusiast
irreld began at the beginning.

Device: PW2 PW3 DPT-RP1
It's a cname for prod.amazoncrl.com . So no mystery stuff here.

I think if you post some other requests captured that would be more interesting
irreld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2021, 11:10 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyrompec View Post
Edit #1: Add attachment. Ignore .txt extension at the end. Firefox seems to think that it's a .dms file.
Looking at the first 3 bytes of the file, the CRL found there suggests that it is a certificate revocation list.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 09:19 PM   #4
xyrompec

Quote:
Originally Posted by irreld View Post
It's a cname for prod.amazoncrl.com . So no mystery stuff here.

I think if you post some other requests captured that would be more interesting
Sure, I've captured everything since the device was first set up and registered. What would be of interest?
Old 07-18-2021, 09:27 PM   #5
xyrompec

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Looking at the first 3 bytes of the file, the CRL found there suggests that it is a certificate revocation list.
Thanks! So seems like it's fine to let the request pass through. I had guessed it was something related to certificates by "x-kn-appID" of the request header:

Code:
GET https://52.84.169.98/1/LATEST                                                                

Host:           d18os95hu8sz6h.cloudfront.net                                                                                             
Accept:         */*                                                                                                                       
If-None-Match:  "59f07dfa6a5832524de100f2f0118308"                                                                                        
x-kn-appID:     KINDLEAPP:com.lab126.certmand
Advert