Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 10-05-2011, 08:18 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Stuck on rotating arrow - Suggestions?

1) What does it mean - basically - when the nook color is stuck on the screen with the rotating arrow, when trying to run cyanogenMod 7 from a sandisk?

2) What suggested step(s) should I engage in to cure this?

Thanks in advance.

Don
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:37 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
1) What does it mean - basically - when the nook color is stuck on the screen with the rotating arrow, when trying to run cyanogenMod 7 from a sandisk?

2) What suggested step(s) should I engage in to cure this?

Thanks in advance.

Don
It is most probably a crash in one of the critical components, like the system server. You could connect your nook color to a PC and run "adb logcat" and see the output, you should see some errors there which may help in debugging the problem.

Did this happen out of the blue or did your SD card never work? If it is the llatter, simply recreate the SD card and start over, on the former, you could do the same, but you'd lose whatever you saved while using the nook color. You could connect the SD card to your PC and save any documents or books you have before starting over, same for the apps.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2011, 06:37 PM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
How long do you let it run for? The first time you boot it takes about 15min.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:20 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You mean the arrow issue takes approximately 15 minutes?

If so, it's possible I didn't let it cycle long enough.

Don
Old 10-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You mean the arrow issue takes approximately 15 minutes?

If so, it's possible I didn't let it cycle long enough.

Don
Yes, if your talking about the arrows circling around the android on boot, it does take a very long time. I think I timed it once and it took 15min but that was a long time ago and I was using a very slow card(class 2).

I googled it and most folks say it's 5-10min. This only applies to the first boot, subsequent boots are much faster.

=X=
Advert
Old 10-11-2011, 02:49 AM   #6
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Yes, if your talking about the arrows circling around the android on boot, it does take a very long time.
=X=
That long delay the first time after a new install or upgrade is the time it takes to rebuild the Dalvik cache, from what I have read.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:14 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks, everyone for answering.

Other issues: I tried using Winimage, but I get an error message when trying to write the .img file. I'm entering WinImage in Administrator mode, but I still get the error.

I also have Win32DiskImager which I will try, if I continue to be unable to use WinImage.

I'll give it another try, but I'm just about ready to buy that nook card since I'm having so much difficulty....or else a Samsung Galaxy tablet.

Don
Old 10-11-2011, 02:44 PM   #8
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks, everyone for answering.

Other issues: I tried using Winimage, but I get an error message when trying to write the .img file. I'm entering WinImage in Administrator mode, but I still get the error.

I also have Win32DiskImager which I will try, if I continue to be unable to use WinImage.

I'll give it another try, but I'm just about ready to buy that nook card since I'm having so much difficulty....or else a Samsung Galaxy tablet.

Don
Well buying the card saves you work and also provides you with another card. You can't go wrong with that.

I used Win32DiskImager to create my image. I believe at the time I read folks where having problems with WinImage so I went staight for Win32DiskImager. Also on linux I used the "dd" command.

Well the Samsung Galaxy tablet will give you a working system out of the box. And is a very nice device. The Samsung 7" plus was just pre-released (16GB at jr for $400).

But still the nook has the best screen at the $250 price... okay that's not true the Lenovo A1 for $200 is just as good.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:35 PM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Do I just simply Write the .img file to the disk?

Is there anything I need to do to the disk before burning the .img file?

Don
Old 10-12-2011, 11:29 AM   #10
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Do I just simply Write the .img file to the disk?

Is there anything I need to do to the disk before burning the .img file?

Don
No, there's nothing to do to the disk, you provide the image to write to the disk, and the tool will overwrite the disk with the contents of the .img file.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:20 PM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Changed from a SanDisk 2 gig and bought a Lexar 8 gig and then had no problem. Apparently, the SanDisk 2 was the issue.

Everything loaded on fine - I think.

How do I go about loading any apps, such as Amazon Kindle's app and B&N's app onto it?

I don't have a Google account. Is this what I need to start getting apps?

Don
Old 10-17-2011, 05:46 PM   #12
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Changed from a SanDisk 2 gig and bought a Lexar 8 gig and then had no problem. Apparently, the SanDisk 2 was the issue.

Everything loaded on fine - I think.

How do I go about loading any apps, such as Amazon Kindle's app and B&N's app onto it?

I don't have a Google account. Is this what I need to start getting apps?

Don
Yes. You also need to have gapps installed.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:32 PM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

This particular problem has now been solved, and I want to thank all the members who have kindly offered help.

I now have a different issue (in another thread).

Again, thanks to everyone!

Don