Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 04-27-2011, 08:05 PM   #31
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
You can run CM7 from a SD card without installing it to internal memory. That way, you can still boot from your stock ROM when you want to read magazines. I'll probably pick up a NC next week when they show up at Staples, and that's what I'm planning to do, possibly transitioning to a stock/PhireMod dual boot on internal memory once I've had a chance to try out my options.
Does anyone know of a good tutorial video for doing this?

When you boot from the stock ROM, how do you keep it from trying to update to a new version automatically?
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:24 PM   #32
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I found this link, posted elsewhere in this forum, very helpful: http://quinxy.com/guides/how-to-pick...stall-options/
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2011, 08:35 PM   #33
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I found this link, posted elsewhere in this forum, very helpful: http://quinxy.com/guides/how-to-pick...stall-options/
Thank you!

That post is fascinating - he seems to be claiming that a unrooted NC + SD card with CM7 is all you need in order to switch back and forth between the CM7/stock device? No rooting necessary?? That would be very cool indeed.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:52 PM   #34
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
Okay well. I was looking forward to CM7 because outside of reading magazines, I have no interest in holding on to the Nook stock software at all.

Has anyone applied any of the various custom ROMS to their rooted NCs? Or are you all just running CM7?
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:01 PM   #35
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCG1 View Post
Okay well. I was looking forward to CM7 because outside of reading magazines, I have no interest in holding on to the Nook stock software at all.

Has anyone applied any of the various custom ROMS to their rooted NCs? Or are you all just running CM7?
I noticed CM7 automatically installs something called "ROM Manager". I am hoping it's a utility to let you switch between ROMs or maybe to allow for the easy updating of the ROM since I see CM7 is updated nightly for now.

Does anyone know?
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2011, 10:54 PM   #36
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
Yes, if you have other ROMs saved on your SD card, Rom Manager lets you swap them out, so to speak.
For instance, I have three ROMS on my Android phone--Stock ROM, MikFroyo, and MynWarm. With Rom Manager, you can easily back up your current ROM and install ROMS from your SD card.
It's pretty easy and nearly impossible to mess up.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:55 PM   #37
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
he seems to be claiming that a unrooted NC + SD card with CM7 is all you need in order to switch back and forth between the CM7/stock device? No rooting necessary?? That would be very cool indeed.
Yes. My main memory is currently stock 1.2 (not rooted) and if I want to run CM7 all I need to do is pop the SD card in (the nook looks to the SD card first when booting).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:11 AM   #38
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Thank you!

That post is fascinating - he seems to be claiming that a unrooted NC + SD card with CM7 is all you need in order to switch back and forth between the CM7/stock device? No rooting necessary?? That would be very cool indeed.
If you dig a little deeper, the blogger was getting a lot of error messages in one or two favorite apps while running from SD, so he ended up flashing the PhireMod custom ROM (based on CM7) to the internal memory, replacing the stock OS. The stability of SD-booted ROMs seems to vary quite a bit between different SD cards, different NCs, and different apps, but at the very least it's a great way to try out ROMs and see what works and what you like, without altering the stock OS in the least.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:44 AM   #39
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Well, I really feel quite dumb because I can't make heads or tails of these instructions.

1. I downloaded Win32DiskImager as instructed.

2. I downloaded "generic-sdcard-v1.1.img.gz" from the post link.

3. I booted up Win32DiskImager, selected my SD card drive letter... and then changed "generic-sdcard-v1.1.img.gz" to just "generic-sdcard-v1.1.img" so that the program would even see it at all. Clicked the "Write" command and let it do it's thing.

4. Once the Win32DiskImager was done, I copied over to the (blank? should it be blank?) SD card the "update-cm-7.0.0-encore-signed.zip" file.

5. Turned my NC off. Slapped in the SD card. Booted it up. Nothing...happens. I mean, my NC boots just like it always does.

So obviously I did something wrong. I know I am quite literally the dumbest person on earth, but am I the only one that wishes - deeply, fervently, heart-feltedly - that someone would make a video of this process? I only was able to follow the autonooter method because they had... drumroll... a video.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:51 AM   #40
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I've never used Win32DiskImager, but using WinImage (which is what most instructions I've seen mention) you would Open WinImage and select Disk --> Restore Virtual Hard Disk Image on Physical Drive and select the SD Card/SD Card Reader and then select the img file (*all files). I only mention it because Win32DiskImager doesn't seem to be working for you (the SD card shouldn't be blank).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:59 AM   #41
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobits View Post
If all you want to do is run the stock rom rooted and prevent autoupdates, easiest way seems to be to change the db parameter to manual.

Code:
# sqlite3 /data/data/com.bn.devicemanager/databases/devicemanager.db
sqlite> update registry set value='manual' where name='com.bn.device.fota.mode';
sqlite> .q
# reboot
This doesn't seem to work for me - even with su permissions in the terminal manager the line:

Code:
# sqlite3 /data/data/com.bn.devicemanager/databases/devicemanager.db
sqlite> update registry set value='manual' where name='com.bn.device.fota.mode';
sqlite> .q
[/QUOTE]

(that's one line right?)

results in:

"cannot create update: read-only file system"
Old 04-28-2011, 01:18 AM   #42
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I've never used Win32DiskImager, but using WinImage (which is what most instructions I've seen mention) you would Open WinImage and select Disk --> Restore Virtual Hard Disk Image on Physical Drive and select the SD Card/SD Card Reader and then select the img file (*all files). I only mention it because Win32DiskImager doesn't seem to be working for you (the SD card shouldn't be blank).
Clearly there is something wrong with me.

I used WinImage as you suggest (I remember it from my Autonooter stuff, yay!) and I got the same behavior: progress bar showing that something is happening, but at the end of the process, the SD card is still blank as can be. I loaded the zip image onto the blank (?) card and slapped the card into my NC.

This time, the SD load did seem to force a reboot/crash, but the next boot was the same as it's always been.

Guess this means no CM7-from-SD-card for me. Does the fact that I'm rooted via autonooter negate this process or is the reality altering power of my ineptitude the problem?
Old 04-28-2011, 07:49 AM   #43
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
generic-sdcard-v1.1.img.gz is a zipped file. Did you extract it before trying to load the image?
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:14 AM   #44
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtriever View Post
generic-sdcard-v1.1.img.gz is a zipped file. Did you extract it before trying to load the image?
No, I didn't - I didn't recognize the ".gz" extension.

THANK YOU!

Got the Linux penguin... working... working... working... OMG SHINY PRETTY.

OK. Whew. Only halfway done, still need to do market and gapps, but must shower and get to work now. Will have to come back and mess with it tonight.

But thank you SO SO SO SO SO SO SO much! Everyone! Karma all around!

EDIT: Quick question: Why does it seem I have to boot the device twice to turn it on now? It's not a big deal, of course, but I'm just wondering if that's normal? When the SD card is in, and the device is off, I press the power key and get "Touch the Future of Reading", and then the screen blanks. I wait awhile and nothing happens, so I press the power key again and get "Touch the Future of Reading" again, and then the CM7 boots. Is that what I should be experiencing?

Last edited by anamardoll; 04-28-2011 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #45
twobits
Addict
twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Just saw this, thank you! This would be in the command line app that autonooter puts on the device? (Terminal Manager, I think it's called?)

That should work, if it is giving you a root prompt or you can 'su' from it and you have the sqlite command on your nook. If not you need to push the sqlite program first. The other option is to pull that file, edit it with sqlite on your computer and then push it back.
twobits is offline   Reply With Quote